Game thread 2018 season

A place for Twinscentric Discussion
longstrangetrip [enjin:6600564]

Re: Game thread 2018 season

Post by longstrangetrip [enjin:6600564] »

Wow, what an experience...glad you were able to enjoy it in person with your kids, bleed!

Some great Mauer moments. First, the classic opposite field gapper than wasn't a sure double...he had to leg it out. Since Mollie had said there was no way Joe would be catching today, we were unhappy when he didn't send out a pinch runner for him. But Mollie was way ahead of us! A wave of noise emanated from the left field bleachers since they had a clear view of the dugout, and then the entire crowd erupted as Joe came out alone in his catcher's gear! And Mollie left him out there alone for 5 minutes as the fans cheered! After warming up the pitcher, Joe made a nice throw down to second...which the second baseman let go by him into center! I had the binoculars on Joe talking with the hitter, and I think he was saying something like "Hey, I'm only in for one pitch. We're going to give you a ball, so don't swing!" The batter took the pitch outside, and Joe went out to hug the pitcher and leave the field to another standing ovation. Just a terrific baseball moment!

We had the same thought as Monster, that the whole ceremony thing meant Joe had told Mollie he was done. But in the postgame on-field interview, he said he really hadn't made up his mind yet. I hope he retires, but I really think he doesn't know yet.
Monster

Post by Monster »

Also nice to get a win and finish on a 6 game winning streak. Cave with another bomb and at least Kepler finished the season on a positive note. Not sure what's up with Hildy he has had a pretty rough finish.

Looking at their record starting August 1 this team finished the season 29-27. Pretty remarkable really to have a winning record all things considered even if they did play in a crappy division. Just to compare Cleveland finished 33-23 in that same span.
longstrangetrip [enjin:6600564]

Post by longstrangetrip [enjin:6600564] »

monsterpile wrote:Also nice to get a win and finish on a 6 game winning streak. Cave with another bomb and at least Kepler finished the season on a positive note. Not sure what's up with Hildy he has had a pretty rough finish.

Looking at their record starting August 1 this team finished the season 29-27. Pretty remarkable really to have a winning record all things considered even if they did play in a crappy division. Just to compare Cleveland finished 33-23 in that same span.

Pat Reusse (who Tom Kelly once told me was the best baseball writer in the country) ripped Kepler in his column Sunday morning...asking how a 25 year old 3-year player in great shape with a perfect swing could bat .222. When Kep hit his HR, he motioned to the press box as he rounded the bases...clearly a gesture toward Patrick.

(unfortunately, Patrick was not in the press box yesterday)
Q12543 [enjin:6621299]

Post by Q12543 [enjin:6621299] »

These guys ended the season strong. Hopefully that carries into next year and they can be compete for a playoff spot once again. As for Sano and Buxton....I'm not holding my breath, especially on Sano.
bleedspeed

Post by bleedspeed »

We finished strong and it will be interesting to see what happens. I think the first change might be with Molitor. I am mixed about that since this team was not blessed with health this week and they seemed to still fight to the end.

I like the composition of this group. It is a team of scrappers without a star. Incremental improvement across the board would get this club on track. I really am not sure what to thin about Kepler. Is he the next Hicks or will he never get it?