Let's Try To Make Some Sense Out of All This

Any And All Things T-Wolves Related
longstrangetrip [enjin:6600564]

Re: Let's Try To Make Some Sense Out of All This

Post by longstrangetrip [enjin:6600564] »

Abe, I agree with your statement that Thad Young didn't deserve the hatred he occasionally received on this board, but I don't accept the default conclusion that this trade makes us worse and is an example of tanking. I think it makes us better. First, it's difficult to get much worse than the .200 winning percentage we put up with Thad as our starting PF. Secondly, you win in the NBA with defense and rebounding, and a combo platter of Payne/KG/AB is certain to be better in these elements than Thad plus. Look at the positive comments Flip has already made about Payne's defense in his first two practices (which mirror Izzo's comments). Combine that with KG's defensive intensity and rebounding rate twice that of Thad's, and AB's superior rebounding rate compared to Thad's (I see their respective defense as a wash), and it's not difficult to conclude that our defense and rebounding is vastly superior today to where it was 24 hours ago.

Thad Young is a quality guy with a creative offensive game, but he hasn't demonstrated an ability to win in the NBA in his 8 years. It's really difficult to construct an argument that replacing Thad Young in a lineup hurts a team's chances of winning.
BizarroJerry [enjin:6592520]

Post by BizarroJerry [enjin:6592520] »

Good point Abe. Why all the hate for Gary Neal everyone? Can't he be a good bench shooter for us?
bleedspeed177 [enjin:6603232]

Post by bleedspeed177 [enjin:6603232] »

BizarroJerry wrote:Good point Abe. Why all the hate for Gary Neal everyone? Can't he be a good bench shooter for us?

Honestly we should buy him out and sign Seth Curry for the rest of the season with a team option for 2016 and 2017.
longstrangetrip [enjin:6600564]

Post by longstrangetrip [enjin:6600564] »

BizarroJerry wrote:If KG is accepting of 12-15 minutes and 3 million per for 2 years, than this is a great move.

I like our roster as currently constructed, we don't need more draft picks, we're too young.

Can we fire Sam Mitchell now?

I'm on the other side of the Mitchell argument, as he's always been one of my favorites. He was an overachiever on the court and one of the most respected guys in the NBA community...not to mention a snappy dresser and cool guy. I admit that I expected more from this year's club defensively, but I don't know how much of that can be hung on Sam. Jim Peterson raves about his coaching abilities, and I think we're lucky to have him as an assistant coach. If we want to take shots at our coaching staff, I'd look at Lowe, little Adelman and little Saunders first.
60WinTim

Post by 60WinTim »

For better or worse, the KG move probably boosts Sam's chances of eventually being our head coach.
bleedspeed177 [enjin:6603232]

Post by bleedspeed177 [enjin:6603232] »

longstrangetrip wrote: If we want to take shots at our coaching staff, I'd look at Lowe, little Adelman and little Saunders first.

Amen - I actually think Saunders is the best of that bunch. Lowe and Adelman are here out of sympathy or blackmail.
AbeVigodaLive

Post by AbeVigodaLive »

longstrangetrip wrote:Abe, I agree with your statement that Thad Young didn't deserve the hatred he occasionally received on this board, but I don't accept the default conclusion that this trade makes us worse and is an example of tanking. I think it makes us better. First, it's difficult to get much worse than the .200 winning percentage we put up with Thad as our starting PF. Secondly, you win in the NBA with defense and rebounding, and a combo platter of Payne/KG/AB is certain to be better in these elements than Thad plus. Look at the positive comments Flip has already made about Payne's defense in his first two practices (which mirror Izzo's comments). Combine that with KG's defensive intensity and rebounding rate twice that of Thad's, and AB's superior rebounding rate compared to Thad's (I see their respective defense as a wash), and it's not difficult to conclude that our defense and rebounding is vastly superior today to where it was 24 hours ago.

Thad Young is a quality guy with a creative offensive game, but he hasn't demonstrated an ability to win in the NBA in his 8 years. It's really difficult to construct an argument that replacing Thad Young in a lineup hurts a team's chances of winning.

Well, it's hard to refute that Thad Young has been a big part of some really crappy teams.

As for the rebounding... sure, Young was poor for his position. But I don't think it's as easy as claiming Player B averages (x) more rebounds than Player A so the team will automatically average (x) more rebounds per game. There are a lot of factors that go into it. Garnett should help when he's on the court. Probably Bennett and Payne, too. How much? We'll find out.

But what about Young's passing. That part of Young's game surprised me. He's a better passer than I expected. What about his ability to take guys off the dribble. I don't know if Payne or Bennett have that ability. I know Garnett doesn't. What about his ability to steal the ball and take off on a break...

Granted, some of those things are more important than others. And some may be able to be replaced for the most part. I guess a big part of my point is that in today's NBA we're heading toward a more position-less game. Sure, you still need bigs and smalls and you need to be able to do certain things (score, rebound, et al) but it's less about how one guy does that and more about how well you're able to do it as a team.
Coolbreeze44

Post by Coolbreeze44 »

60WinTim wrote:For better or worse, the KG move probably boosts Sam's chances of eventually being our head coach.

Oh Gooooooood
AbeVigodaLive

Post by AbeVigodaLive »

bleedspeed177 wrote:
longstrangetrip wrote: If we want to take shots at our coaching staff, I'd look at Lowe, little Adelman and little Saunders first.

Amen - I actually think Saunders is the best of that bunch. Lowe and Adelman are here out of sympathy or blackmail.

I can argue convincingly that his track record at every level makes Sidney Lowe the "worst" coach in basketball history... who keeps getting hired.

Whether it's the pros or the college level... Lowe has been a disaster wherever he's gone.
Carlos Danger

Post by Carlos Danger »

AbeVigodaLive wrote:There are guys who we can take and project out to 36 minutes per game and clamor for more minutes. "See what he can do with more minutes!"

Garnett is not one of those guys. He's never going to get those 36 minutes... because he can't. And he will miss games. He's missed between 14 and 28 games in recent years while battling for playoff spots. Many of those games were planned to give his legs a rest. Does anybody really think he's playing every night for a team that might lose 65 or more games?

I think all LST was trying to show with the per 36 numbers on KG is that his (limited) minutes will be productive. If you just look at the per game, sometimes people don't realize how effective a guy is i.e. "he's only averaging 6 pts. a game". Fewer minutes, but productive minutes is exactly what you want from a Vet. Let the young guys get their run. But if we need a long guy to come in and stop another team's run or bring some energy - we can turn to KG. Nobody expects him to log heavy minutes at his age. Although..I wouldn't be surprised if he's rejuvenated a little coming back and plays a little more than he was for the remaining 29 games.