Let's Try To Make Some Sense Out of All This

Any And All Things T-Wolves Related
Tackle [enjin:6628750]

Re: Let's Try To Make Some Sense Out of All This

Post by Tackle [enjin:6628750] »

I expect zero active mentoring from KG, however I do expect guys like Payne, Muhammed, amd Wiggins to learn from watching a great close up (and hope he is merciless with bennett in practice.). That said I have little misgivings about this deal. It ensures we lose more games than we would have won with young here, and removes the chance he opts in from hanging over our head. Still think we should have got more for young from Brooklyn though.

Afflalo had more value than martin because he is an expiring that plays defense, Martin has the kind of contract that gets moved in the offseason, and Pek is in the same boat. It seems like cool wanted an entire offseason crammed into the trade deadline.

I never saw the rumors of a stauskas trade, but do we really need another Canadian on this team. And how did we miss on KJ Mcdaniels, he seems like a steal for a second, and we have no shortage of those.
longstrangetrip [enjin:6600564]

Post by longstrangetrip [enjin:6600564] »

Carlos, I love the way you summarize the impact of this deal...matches my thoughts exactly. I only wish KG didn't exhibit so often a quality that Drew cleverly labeled "assholery" (I'm going to endeavor to fit that word into my conversations as often as possible today!). He's a difficult guy for me to cheer for, but at the end of the day I cheer for the name on the front of the jersey, not the back, and I'm convinced this deal makes us better.

I reviewed KG's lifetime stats this morning and saw something interesting. He averaged a double double each of his final 9 years with the Wolves, but not once in the 8 years since. He was still a relatively young man when he left for Beantown, so this lends some credence to the thought that Flip always got the most out of KG.

BTW, he continues to average a double double at age 38 on a per 36 basis, which is more than we can say for the guy we traded to the Nets.
AbeVigodaLive

Post by AbeVigodaLive »

Tackle wrote:I expect zero active mentoring from KG, however I do expect guys like Payne, Muhammed, amd Wiggins to learn from watching a great close up (and hope he is merciless with bennett in practice.). That said I have little misgivings about this deal. It ensures we lose more games than we would have won with young here, and removes the chance he opts in from hanging over our head. Still think we should have got more for young from Brooklyn though.

Afflalo had more value than martin because he is an expiring that plays defense, Martin has the kind of contract that gets moved in the offseason, and Pek is in the same boat. It seems like cool wanted an entire offseason crammed into the trade deadline.

I never saw the rumors of a stauskas trade, but do we really need another Canadian on this team. And how did we miss on KJ Mcdaniels, he seems like a steal for a second, and we have no shortage of those.

I think McDaniels is an expiring contract.
bleedspeed177 [enjin:6603232]

Post by bleedspeed177 [enjin:6603232] »

AbeVigodaLive wrote:

Yes a UFA. He negotiated that because he was a 2nd round pick. He accepted the minimum unguaranteed contract to be a UFA this off-season. Still not sure why the 76ers wouldn't just resign him. It is not like they don't have the cap space. Not sure how the Rockets will use him. They needed a PG more then another wing.
AbeVigodaLive

Post by AbeVigodaLive »

longstrangetrip wrote:Carlos, I love the way you summarize the impact of this deal...matches my thoughts exactly. I only wish KG didn't exhibit so often a quality that Drew cleverly labeled "assholery" (I'm going to endeavor to fit that word into my conversations as often as possible today!). He's a difficult guy for me to cheer for, but at the end of the day I cheer for the name on the front of the jersey, not the back, and I'm convinced this deal makes us better.

I reviewed KG's lifetime stats this morning and saw something interesting. He averaged a double double each of his final 9 years with the Wolves, but not once in the 8 years since. He was still a relatively young man when he left for Beantown, so this lends some credence to the thought that Flip always got the most out of KG.

BTW, he continues to average a double double at age 38 on a per 36 basis, which is more than we can say for the guy we traded to the Nets.

There are guys who we can take and project out to 36 minutes per game and clamor for more minutes. "See what he can do with more minutes!"

Garnett is not one of those guys. He's never going to get those 36 minutes... because he can't. And he will miss games. He's missed between 14 and 28 games in recent years while battling for playoff spots. Many of those games were planned to give his legs a rest. Does anybody really think he's playing every night for a team that might lose 65 or more games?

So we have to look more closely at who will be eating up those minutes. Well, thankfully for many, many around here... Thad Young is gone. While I thought he played poorly overall for the first 40 games or so... I can't think of any player on this board who faced such a venomous wrath as consistently as Young. (For the 2nd worst franchise in league history, that's saying something.) With some posters, it became comical how he was ripped every game, nearly every play he screwed up.

We get it. He didn't rebound well. And he didn't protect the rim well. And for a stretch, he didn't even compete well. But he wasn't a complete waste on the court. His recent surge shows the kind of player he has been his entire career. Granted, that might not work here. And it might not be worth $10M. But he wasn't as bad as many claimed. He's a proven, legit NBA player.

That being said... ok, he's gone. Probably for the best. Now, the Wolves can feed minutes to Payne and Bennett. See what they have... and lose more games at the same time. Isn't that what this season has become? The team is tanking. We all know it. They want the high draft pick. With all the injuries early, there's nothing wrong with it. Pairing Wiggins with the POTENTIAL of another All Star caliber player is pretty enticing.

Everything else is moving deck furniture. This entire season, and possibly Saunders' tenure, rests on how "lucky" the team gets with the 2015 draft.
AbeVigodaLive

Post by AbeVigodaLive »

bleedspeed177 wrote:
AbeVigodaLive wrote:

Yes a UFA. He negotiated that because he was a 2nd round pick. He accepted the minimum unguaranteed contract to be a UFA this off-season. Still not sure why the 76ers wouldn't just resign him. It is not like they don't have the cap space. Not sure how the Rockets will use him. They needed a PG more then another wing.

Yeah, he's kind of a Brewer type of guy, right? Except McDaniels plays above the rim more. He's a 3 and frenetic D type of guy if I go by the fantasy stats he put up (I know, I know). So, technically, he fits Houston's scheme.

Will he resign though?
bleedspeed177 [enjin:6603232]

Post by bleedspeed177 [enjin:6603232] »

AbeVigodaLive wrote:
bleedspeed177 wrote:

Will he resign though?

I bet they think of him as the new Chandler Parsons. Not sure how long they signed the Laker/Wizard guy that I am to lazy to look ups name and I can't remember what it is.
AbeVigodaLive

Post by AbeVigodaLive »

bleedspeed177 wrote:
AbeVigodaLive wrote:
bleedspeed177 wrote:

Will he resign though?

I bet they think of him as the new Chandler Parsons. Not sure how long they signed the Laker/Wizard guy that I am to lazy to look ups name and I can't remember what it is.

How much will McDaniels ask for?

Remember, he did something pretty unique with the Sixers... he turned down guaranteed money. He signed a one-year NON-guaranteed deal instead of the 2-year guaranteed deal (with two non-guaranteed years) that many 2nd round picks sign. That's the kind of deal that had Houston in the driver seat with Chandler Parsons playing very well for very cheap...

If McDaniels sucked... or was injured, he was looking at no money and a career in Europe or the D League for $25k. He proved his worth as an NBA player enough that he'll make more than all the other 2nd round picks in their 2nd season... and it will be for more guaranteed years. I would bet more guys will try to follow his lead.
BizarroJerry [enjin:6592520]

Post by BizarroJerry [enjin:6592520] »

If KG is accepting of 12-15 minutes and 3 million per for 2 years, than this is a great move.

I like our roster as currently constructed, we don't need more draft picks, we're too young.

Can we fire Sam Mitchell now?
AbeVigodaLive

Post by AbeVigodaLive »

BizarroJerry wrote:If KG is accepting of 12-15 minutes and 3 million per for 2 years, than this is a great move.

I like our roster as currently constructed, we don't need more draft picks, we're too young.

Can we fire Sam Mitchell now?

With Garnett here and the country club crew nearly intact... Mitchell probably just earned another 10-year reprieve with yesterday's move.