GDT: Wolves vs. Mavs - Getting Over the Hump Day

Any And All Things T-Wolves Related
GymRat [enjin:6592663]

GDT: Wolves vs. Mavs - Getting Over the Hump Day

Post by GymRat [enjin:6592663] »

As per my usual daily routine over the last two weeks, I'm reading daily updates or non-updates about the return of our injured. If we're lucky we'll see Martin and Pek in tonight's lineup. Rubio and Muhammed still definitive outs.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/wolves/289238141.html
60WinTim

Re: GDT: Wolves vs. Mavs - Getting Over the Hump Day

Post by 60WinTim »

I like the camel theme. The cat theme didn't work so well last time...
Carlos Danger

Post by Carlos Danger »

Uh-oh. Guess what day it is....Guess. What. Day. It. Is. Huh? Anybody? Hump Daaay!
SameOldNudityDrew

Post by SameOldNudityDrew »

Man, this couldn't happen soon enough in my view. Time to salvage a little dignity. Pek wasn't playing well before going out, so I'd anticipate more struggles for him. I hope they limit his minutes anyway to prevent re-injury and keep giving Dieng floor time.

But we could really use Martin. He'll help keep the pressure off Wiggins offensively, so I expect Wiggins will get to deal with some weaker defenders. And a wing rotation of Martin, Wiggins, and Bazz (when he gets back) will be a big step up.

Having won a couple games recently, there's a chance we could be starting to click a little better, and having a couple good players would definitely help.

The real key is Rubio getting back though. And that ankle looks like it's going to keep him out a long time still.
kekgeek

Post by kekgeek »

It will be interesting when Martin comes back, moving wiggins back to SF and the bigger stronger defenders, I hope he keeps it up.
Q12543 [enjin:6621299]

Post by Q12543 [enjin:6621299] »

We'll see Drew. I'm skeptical that Pek will be anything other than a shell of his former self. But a gimpy Pek backing up Dieng is probably still better than either Bennett or Raduljica.

I remember last year how folks claimed that the absence of Pek and/or Martin made no difference to team success. And they were mostly right. We were 13-15 without Pek in the lineup last year and 9-5 without Martin in the lineup.
That being said, our two best players - Love and Rubio - were healthy for nearly every game. That probably absorbed some of the bad effects of losing Pek and Martin.

My guess is that Martin and Pek's absence is felt more this season, but I'm not expecting any dramatic turnaround. Instead, what I'm hoping it does is provide a bit of a break for the likes of Wiggins and Dieng. But yeah, the real difference maker is Rubio. We really won't know how good this group is until he gets back.
GymRat [enjin:6592663]

Post by GymRat [enjin:6592663] »

If Pek can run up and down the court without injuring himself, I think he'll be okay/decent. Outside of injuries, his biggest issue is taking 1-2 months to round into shape and regain his touch. There's really not that much season left, so unless he's healthy and is quicker to regain his form than usual, I think Q is right about his impact on the court this season being anything other than spelling bodies and the irregular effective performance.
Camden [enjin:6601484]

Post by Camden [enjin:6601484] »

Wolfson: Sounds like Pek plans on playing tonight. Flip meets the media shortly. Martin should be in tonight too. Nice to see the guys back. #twolves
60WinTim

Post by 60WinTim »

Pek is a go, but Martin is not.
60WinTim

Post by 60WinTim »

Pek will likely be awful. Hopefully he will be less awful in a backup role. Plus Dieng has played well enough to have perhaps earned the starting position. It will be an interesting dynamic going forward...