What the Pek

Any And All Things T-Wolves Related
Lipoli390

Re: What the Pek

Post by Lipoli390 »

Just a few thoughts on The Pek situation and some of the points made in this thread:

1. Paying Pek anything more than the $48 million over 4 years purportedly offered to date would have significant luxury tax implications in a couple years when Ricky gets his first post rookie scale contract and Love gets his next contract. Like the vast majority of teams, the Wolves can't afford to exceed the luxury tax threshold. It's not just the financial penalty. It's really the additional operational constraints imposed - including but not limited to a smaller MLE. Therefore, while I agree that signing Pek is tremendously important, Flip really needs to hold the line.

2. The difference between the $48 million offered and the $60 million sought by Pek is substantial no matter how the deal is structured or allocated over the 4 year period. That $3 million per year difference would likely be the difference between luxury tax or no luxury tax.

3. Performance conditions/incentives would not give the Wolves any significant benefit because the the salary cap/luxury tax calculations are based on the total potential pay out under the contract, not on what the player actually makes based on the incentives.

4. One thing Flip could do to sweeten the deal for Pek in a way that would also help the Wolves would be a front-loaded contract that starts at $13 million, then $12, $12 and $11 the next three years. That would give Pek the benefit of the time value of money while reducing the payout to Pek in the later years of his contract when the Wolves will be paying big bucks to both Ricky and Love.

5. Pek is now the only top tier free agent left on the market. I suspect Pek's agent is counting on getting a $55 or $60 million offer the Wolves would have to consider matching. I don't think it will happen. If it does, Flip will have a tough call to make.
mjs34

Post by mjs34 »

Lip I like the idea of front loading the contract so it actually works better for the wolves going forward, and gives Pek more money sooner. That is about the only concession I would make.

Do you know of any team that has the cap space to make a big offer to Pek. I think everyone has already used most of their space up.
bleedspeed

Post by bleedspeed »

I don't know why this is not done more. In the Kevin Martin case is makes a ton of sense. It does here too
Lipoli390

Post by Lipoli390 »

Golden State front-loaded Iggy's contract as well.
Lipoli390

Post by Lipoli390 »

SJM -- Three teams appear to have the cap space to make Pek an offer exceeding $12 million per year: Sixers, Hawks, and Charlotte Hornets. It looks like Cleveland might also have room even with Bynum.

You wouldn't think the Hawks would be interested after signing Millsap, which suggests they intend to still play Horford at center. But they might like Pek at center so they can move Horford to his more natural PF position with Millsap coming off the bench.

Charlotte has no inside offensive presence on their entire roster, so Pek would certainly fill a need for them.

The Sixers need everything and have lots of cap space. But I don't see Pek going there unless he truly cares only about the money, not winning. The Sixers will clearly finish near the bottom of the standings next season and appear destined to be a lottery team for at least the next several years.

Cleveland is the most interesting to me because I see a potential sign-and-trade with the Cavs swapping Varejao for Pek. I like Varejao at $9.5 million the next two years better than Pek at $12 million the next 4 years. So I'd like that deal for the Wolves. But I don't think Cleveland would do it.
worldK

Post by worldK »

lipoli390 wrote:SJM -- Three teams appear to have the cap space to make Pek an offer exceeding $12 million per year: Sixers, Hawks, and Charlotte Hornets. It looks like Cleveland might also have room even with Bynum.

You wouldn't think the Hawks would be interested after signing Millsap, which suggests they intend to still play Horford at center. But they might like Pek at center so they can move Horford to his more natural PF position with Millsap coming off the bench.

Charlotte has no inside offensive presence on their entire roster, so Pek would certainly fill a need for them.

The Sixers need everything and have lots of cap space. But I don't see Pek going there unless he truly cares only about the money, not winning. The Sixers will clearly finish near the bottom of the standings next season and appear destined to be a lottery team for at least the next several years.

Cleveland is the most interesting to me because I see a potential sign-and-trade with the Cavs swapping Varejao for Pek. I like Varejao at $9.5 million the next two years better than Pek at $12 million the next 4 years. So I'd like that deal for the Wolves. But I don't think Cleveland would do it.

Lip, charlotte just added al jefferson,wont be interested in pek.
mjs34

Post by mjs34 »

Both Philly and Cleveland seem to have the space, but I don't see Cleveland doing anything since they took a flier on Bynum. Charlotte used their space on re-signing Henderson and also Big Al. Atlanta just matched for Teague, which used up most of what they had left.

So other than Philly, I don't see any real viable options for Pek.
AbeVigodaLive

Post by AbeVigodaLive »

sjm34 wrote:Both Philly and Cleveland seem to have the space, but I don't see Cleveland doing anything since they took a flier on Bynum. Charlotte used their space on re-signing Henderson and also Big Al. Atlanta just matched for Teague, which used up most of what they had left.

So other than Philly, I don't see any real viable options for Pek.

And I don't think Philly is a viable option. They don't care about winning. Heck, they barely care about meeting the minimum salary cap amount. This season is all about tanking in Philadelphia.

I don't see how overpaying Pekovic helps either the player or the Sixers.
shahidi124 [enjin:6591729]

Post by shahidi124 [enjin:6591729] »

Darren Wolfson ?@DarrenWolfson 39m

Per Sportando, Pek is out for EuroBasket. Heard he was fine missing camp. But wouldn't miss the actual event. Very interesting. #twolves

Sounds like Pek will not be doing EuroBasket this year. Wolfson says that he will get a ton of backlash from Montenegro for this. As I suggested above, he could have kept these negotiations going as long as possible in order to skip the training camp. Maybe with this resolved talks progress a little bit.
BizarroJerry [enjin:6592520]

Post by BizarroJerry [enjin:6592520] »

I think using Splitter is a good comp in these negotiations for Flip. I think he signed for about 9 million per. You could argue that Pek will be counted on more in the offense than Splitter will, but how much more? With Love back, Pek's points and boards will go down a few knocks, (16 and 9 last year) , (10 and 6 for Splitter).

Splitter and Pek shot 73 and 74% respectively from the line last year.
Splitter had a higher FG% than Pek last year.
Splitter is arguably a better shot blocker (avg's were the same)
Splitter averaged more assists and steals than Pek.
Splitter averaged fewer turnovers than Pek last year.

All this while averaging fewer minutes per game (23 to Pek's 31)

Yes, I think Pek is better, but is he really THAT much better? Like 3-5 million per year better? I say no.