What the Pek

Any And All Things T-Wolves Related
worldK

Re: What the Pek

Post by worldK »

maelstrom, Flip never offered ak the 3yr/21m deal. That was a deal that posters here talk about themselves but was never the actual offer. In fact, Flip most likely didn't offer a 3rd year. Whatever the case, ak cited flip as the reason for not staying with the wolves.

Also flip tried trading derrick williams to move up in the draft. Flip made some good moves(matin signing, bud resigning, turiaf) an ok move(brewer but 5m is overpaying) the jury is still out on his draft.

Give credit where credit is due, flip deserves credit. But having adelman, love and rubio in place already also helps a lot( martin,bud and brewer cited adelman,rubio and love as reasons for coming here).

Bottom line, flip has been the new head for this offseason and he will be here for a long time. Looking at his past, he had stints as gm and coach during the mchale era where we got the 'mickey mouse organization' bad reputation around the league. Also, flip signed off on dealing the 5th pick(rubio) for miller and foye back in washington. As a wolves fan, I hope flip has learned from past mistakes and is on the right track. I'm willing to give him a clean slate but that doesn't erased his past. As fans we can only try to look for pattern in the decisions he had made in the past to see and speculate what he intends to do in the future.

Back on topic, hope pek signs soon and we can be ready to make a push next season.
Lipoli390

Post by Lipoli390 »

One of the things that McHalle and Flip were known for was alienating agents. One thing Kahn did really well was cultivating very good relationships with agents. Kahn correctly understood the power of agents and that good relationships with agents is a huge factor in attracting free agents and getting players to sign.
Lipoli390

Post by Lipoli390 »

But I give Flip credit for signing Martin. Would he have been able to sign him id of Adelman weren't here? Probably not. Was 4 years a lot to give an injury prone player who will turn 31 this season? Yes. But it was still a good acquisition and I give Flip credit for getting it done.
caDustymn [enjin:6596349]

Post by caDustymn [enjin:6596349] »

As a MN sports fan in any sport, and having a thirst to win so badly, it is easy to rip on the guys in charge and put every move under the microscope. I hated Flip coming over as GM-I don't trust him one bit. However, he has made some moves, for better or worse, which is better than standing still. I think he and the wolves deserve a little patience until things play out to start judging. Let's hope for the best and hope he doesn't screw the pooch in Pek negotiations. Then (probably harshly) judge later.
Camden [enjin:6601484]

Post by Camden [enjin:6601484] »

Flip's done a hell of a job thus far. You can attribute his signings to having Rubio, Adelman and Love on the team, but guess what? Flip still signed them. That's like saying Phil Jackson only got his rings from having Jordan and Kobe on his teams. So what? The guy still got rings. That's the analogy I'm using here.

When it comes to the draft, Flip made a deal that landed us two players with good potential that could turn into high quality role players. You guys can cry about McCollum all you want to, but even he's not a sure thing, especially at the SG position.

Flip set his off-season goals and checked pretty much every one of them off without giving up any assets. As long as Flip gets Pek to sign back at a reasonable deal, his off-season grade is an A and you're wrong if you think otherwise. Period.
Jakapoo [enjin:6588675]

Post by Jakapoo [enjin:6588675] »

Camden wrote:Flip's done a hell of a job thus far. You can attribute his signings to having Rubio, Adelman and Love on the team, but guess what? Flip still signed them. That's like saying Phil Jackson only got his rings from having Jordan and Kobe on his teams. So what? The guy still got rings. That's the analogy I'm using here.

When it comes to the draft, Flip made a deal that landed us two players with good potential that could turn into high quality role players. You guys can cry about McCollum all you want to, but even he's not a sure thing, especially at the SG position.

Flip set his off-season goals and checked pretty much every one of them off without giving up any assets. As long as Flip gets Pek to sign back at a reasonable deal, his off-season grade is an A and you're wrong if you think otherwise. Period.

Great analogy. I am still going to bitch and moan about how over-rated Phil is though. :D

As for your second point, I have made it pretty clear I do not like McCollum as a prospect. Even if he does well (which I highly doubt) his fit was not on this team due to size. He wasn't good enough for Flip to say, "Well he is elite, so size does not matter."

I also agree with the third point, but I would only give his off-season a B-B+. A's are for when the stars align perfectly, haha.
Coolbreeze44

Post by Coolbreeze44 »

Camden wrote:Flip's done a hell of a job thus far. You can attribute his signings to having Rubio, Adelman and Love on the team, but guess what? Flip still signed them. That's like saying Phil Jackson only got his rings from having Jordan and Kobe on his teams. So what? The guy still got rings. That's the analogy I'm using here.

Yep, everything is roses and fairy tales here in Wolves land. In case you're not familiar, the green indicates sarcasm.
Camden [enjin:6601484]

Post by Camden [enjin:6601484] »

Never said it's all perfect. You're wrong if you think Flip's done a bad or even OK job so far, though. I'm not afraid to tell it to you either.
TravisT [enjin:6669699]

Post by TravisT [enjin:6669699] »

I'm surprised Cool even watches any Minnesota sports teams. When things aren't going the way he sees fit he makes it seem as though the world is crashing in around him.

It hasn't been an A+ offseason, but certain needs have been addressed and signs are pointing towards Pek re-signing so I'd say it's been solid. Don't let your love for CJ cloud the positives that's been happening with the team.
Coolbreeze44

Post by Coolbreeze44 »

Whoa, I don't know where you come up with that take. I haven't said anything about this being a poor offseason overall. Lots of things to like in fact:

- Signing of Martin
- Signing of Bud
- Signing of Dieng
- Keeping DWill
- Apparent keeping of Pek

But I think Flip blew the draft with the exception of Dieng. So for that reason I don't think it can be rated as an outstanding offseason. My point is that Camden is just way over the top with his exuberance. His line - As long as Flip gets Pek to sign back at a reasonable deal, his off-season grade is an A and you're wrong if you think otherwise. Period. That is just too much in my opinion.