What the Pek

Any And All Things T-Wolves Related
worldK

Re: What the Pek

Post by worldK »

Interesting info. like camden, i have to ask lip, what kind of isaues do you knoq of between love and pek?
BizarroJerry [enjin:6592520]

Post by BizarroJerry [enjin:6592520] »

How long has his offer been out there? Is this open-ended with no deadline? Everybody's job is replaceable. Pek should know that even though he's not doing the negotiating. Pek needs to channel his inner Jimmy Chitwood and annouce, "Time for Pek to play ball"
Coolbreeze44

Post by Coolbreeze44 »

Lip I disagree with what you're saying about the Wolves stance in negotiations. I'm just as sure that the Wolves ARE using his injury history as a bargaining chip. This is a big boy negotiation, no time for sentimentality. Of course they are going to bring up his penchant for missing games.

But as I've said before, this all much ado about nothing. This is going to get done, and it's going to get done for around 4 years - 50 million. No need to get upset at either party as fans. By the time the season starts this will all long be forgotten and Pek will be a Wolve for the next 4 years.
Lipoli390

Post by Lipoli390 »

Cool -- Yes, big boys. In the case of the players, it's big egos. But the more important point is that there's no need to mention Pek's injury history. Employment negotiations aren't arguments on the merits. It's a simple matter of the employee's market value (i.e., how much competing employers are willing to pay) and how much you as the negotiating employer are willing to pay. Beyond that, if you're a smart employer you will try to make the coveted employee like you and your organization and want to sign with you for reasons other than money. Pek's people know the injury history. No need to rub Pek's nose in it. Instead, the smart negotiator will make Pek feel wanted and respected.
Riverside_Viking [enjin:6662498]

Post by Riverside_Viking [enjin:6662498] »

m4gor wrote:well i think that Bud and PEK are in different situation, Bud will have one more big contract in 3 years so he want to play in system which is favorable for him with coach he likes who will give him major minutes so discounting some .5 or .75 per year is not that much of a big deal, however PEK is now negotiating about his only big money contract of his career so i understand that it takes some time to get it done

Only big contract my eye he will be 31 at the end of the contract that's not really old on top of that he has an old mans game below the rim and built on power. On top of that he only played like 100 games over in Europe so his body should have that much wear and tear.
Eitan

Post by Eitan »

I`m not from the U.S.

Although Pek got fair offer from the Wolves and there is no other team jumping for his services - It`s very weired that Pek is not signed yet!

I think that one of the reason of that is Flip`s miscommunication with our Euro`s players.

After the Kirilenko fiasco and now the situation with Pek, I don`t think that Flip is the right man to negotiate with our Euro players. I think that Flip doesn`t understand what our Euro`s players wants and maybe doesn`t give them much respect (They are big stars in their countries and not everything is bussiness or Value).
Maybe someone else from our staff, with more Euro orientation, is needed out there.

In the long run, I think it`s better Flip won`t be the guy who negotiate with Rubio and even with Shved.
observerII [enjin:6598557]

Post by observerII [enjin:6598557] »

Unfortunately, Flip is discovering that running a team from behind a desk is a lot different than running it from the bench. He is still a rank amateur in wheeling and dealing -- and in covering up his mistakes.
Lipoli390

Post by Lipoli390 »

observerII wrote:Unfortunately, Flip is discovering that running a team from behind a desk is a lot different than running it from the bench. He is still a rank amateur in wheeling and dealing -- and in covering up his mistakes.

Observer -- I'm inclined to believe you're right about Flip. But I'll withhold judgment until after the Pek situation is resolved. I suspect that Rubio would not be playing for the Timberwolves if Flip rather than Kahn had been head of Wolves basketball operations in 2009-2011.

Kahn's biggest failure was his failure to hire and rely on a top notch basketball talent evaluator as his GM. His ego wouldn't allow him to concede that talent evaluation wasn't his strength. It's my early sense that Flip will likely fail over time if he doesn't hire and rely on someone else as his GM to handle the business side -- negotiations, recruitment, salary cap -- someone with the skills to handle that side of things. A big ego is common among successful executives. But the truly successful ones are usually able to rein in their egos enough to see their weaknesses and rely on others to compensate for those weaknesses. Let's hope Flip recognizes his own limitations and avoids repeating Kahn's mistake.
worldK

Post by worldK »

Lip, observer, I think you guys are right about flip. Say what you want about the ak situation, but the way that goes down was not pretty. Remember our front office had a bad reputation around the league in the mchale/flip era. I hope history don't repeat itself again and we would do things more professionally.

We were able to sign martin, brewer,turiaf and resign bud this off season. Flip deserve credit(except for overpaying brewer) But keep in mind, all those players cited playing for adelman and with love and rubio as key reasons for them coming here. Flip is lucky that he inherited adelman,love and rubio and they were able to attract free agents. He also fired a bunch of scouts and front office personnel and looks to bring his people in. Time will tell if flip knows what he is doing but i hope he keeps the front office professional and respectable.

Regarding the pek situation, It seems pek maybe looking for that extra year since this will probably be his 1 big payday and he and his agent is looking to cash in. If i were flip, I'l stay firm with the 4 year 50m offer. That's a fair offer in my book and i will do away with the incentives or conditions that are needed to reach that amount. I don't see any other team offering him that much.
maelstrom11 [enjin:6599701]

Post by maelstrom11 [enjin:6599701] »

Observer, what deals is Flip acting amatuer in and what mistakes is he trying to cover up? He offered AK 3 years 21mill, thats a fair deal for AK. When the AK deal didnt happen he went out and acquired a very good SF in Brewer at 5mil. Another good move. He's brought back Bud and went out and got Martin at a good price. PEK has a fair deal on the table at 4 years 50 mil. The draft didnt fall as he wanted it but he did what he could and traded for Baz and Dieng, and dumped #26 and Lee to free up money for free agency. Adelman is back, Love/Rubio/DWill are happy. The fans are getting weekly personal updates on KFAN. In my book Flip's done an A+ job so far. I just don't understand what the complaining is about after what we've been thru the last 9 years......This team is poised for a playoff run!!