Any And All Things T-Wolves Related
kekgeek

Wolves are attempting to add another lotto pick

Post by kekgeek »

Per Kevin O'Connor Wolves have offered Culver and #17 to the Hawks for #6
kekgeek

Re: Wolves are attempting to add another lotto pick

Post by kekgeek »

KOC is saying Wolves are extremely high on Haliburton.
BloopOracle

Post by BloopOracle »

kekgeek1 wrote:KOC is saying Wolves are extremely high on Haliburton.

Oh man I hope so, he was my pick back when I was under the assumption the Wolves would probably pick around 5
Hicks123 [enjin:6700838]

Post by Hicks123 [enjin:6700838] »

Would love this deal. I think he just fits this team extremely well.

That said, let's hope the Warriors don't make surprise move and take Haliburton at 2. He is certainly the type of player they covet. Good defender, long, can play multiple positions and can knock down long range shots. This could turn into a scenario just like during 2019 draft. That said, there are some other guys I like at 6 outside Haliburton. Once Haliburton is past GS, I don't see Hornets, Chicago or Cleveland taking him due to current roster construction. Detroit would be next logical landing spot at 7.

If we came away with Wiseman and Haliburton, I would be pretty excited.
Monster

Post by Monster »

The hawks have at least 3 wings already in Hunter Huerter and Reddish. I would assume they would really have to like Culver and not really feel strongly about anyone they would take at 6 as opposed to 17. I saw some report maybe it was by Zach Lowe that the Wolves weren't giving up Culver unless it was for a star. Does #6 qualify?

At 6 there would be a lot of interesting options and I'd be plenty happy with Halliburton.
Camden [enjin:6601484]

Post by Camden [enjin:6601484] »

I don't know how to feel about that. On one hand, I really like Tyrese Haliburton, but on the other I think that might be shorting Jarrett Culver heading into his second season. He showed some growth in the second half of his rookie campaign and I expect him to be much better in 2020-21. Culver would also be in the mix for a top-five pick if he were in this class, I believe.

And from a roster standpoint, wouldn't Devin Vassell make more sense? Vassell would be my first choice if the Wolves made that trade, and he's higher overall on my big board, but I wouldn't complain about Haliburton either.

I do think there's an alternate route to trading up for Vassell, though. One that probably doesn't cost last year's sixth overall pick. Very interesting news from KOC.
Lipoli390

Post by Lipoli390 »

https://twitter.com/kevinoconnornba/status/1326533752193945600?s=21

I join Cam in questioning the notion of trading Culver for a lottery pick given Culver's talent, character and late-season improvement. And I say that as someone who has been really high on Halliburton for a long time. He has a high basketball IQ and terrific worth ethic. Those types of players tend to improve a lot between their first and second seasons with even more improvement in their 3rd.

If the report is accurate, I don't think it's intended to get Halliburton. He's solid, but not a high upside player. Instead, I suspect that the deal is intended to set the Wolves up for a second deal that would involve dealing both lottery picks and other assets for an established elite player. Either that or it's intended to put the Wolves in position to draft Patrick Williams. As much as I like Halliburton, if you're going to trade Culver for a lottery pick, then you do it for a shot at a potential star and I think Williams has that potential while Halliburton does not.

Note that the article reports the Pelicans have an interest in Atlanta's #6 pick as well. I just hope the Wolves don't get caught up in a bidding war for that pick. As much as I'd like a second lottery pick for an opportunity to get Vassell, Halliburton or Williams, the Wolves don't have a lot of assets to spare and need to be careful about how much they give up for that opportunity. The Wolves control the draft with the #1 pick and have the chance to draft a physical freak big man named James Wiseman. They could trade down a few spots and still land the Bam-like Okongwu while also getting another asset. And in a deep draft like this one, they can get a very good prospect at #17. I also suspect they could combine #33 and 17 in a deal to move up at least several spots.

I just hope the Wolves front office doesn't overthink this. Often the best path is the one right in front of your nose.
AbeVigodaLive

Post by AbeVigodaLive »

As a guy really high on Haliburton... and pretty down on Culver (his shooting)... I'm in.

But I don't think there's any guarantee Haliburton is there at #6... so that may not be who the Wolves have in mind.
kekgeek

Post by kekgeek »

lipoli390 wrote:https://twitter.com/kevinoconnornba/status/1326533752193945600?s=21

I join Cam in questioning the notion of trading Culver for a lottery pick given Culver's talent, character and late-season improvement. And I say that as someone who has been really high on Halliburton for a long time. He has a high basketball IQ and terrific worth ethic. Those types of players tend to improve a lot between their first and second seasons with even more improvement in their 3rd.

If the report is accurate, I don't think it's intended to get Halliburton. He's solid, but not a high upside player. Instead, I suspect that the deal is intended to set the Wolves up for a second deal that would involve dealing both lottery picks and other assets for an established elite player. Either that or it's intended to put the Wolves in position to draft Patrick Williams. As much as I like Halliburton, if you're going to trade Culver for a lottery pick, then you do it for a shot at a potential star and I think Williams has that potential while Halliburton does not.

Note that the article reports the Pelicans have an interest in Atlanta's #6 pick as well. I just hope the Wolves don't get caught up in a bidding war for that pick. As much as I'd like a second lottery pick for an opportunity to get Vassell, Halliburton or Williams, the Wolves don't have a lot of assets to spare and need to be careful about how much they give up for that opportunity. The Wolves control the draft with the #1 pick and have the chance to draft a physical freak big man named James Wiseman. They could trade down a few spots and still land the Bam-like Okongwu while also getting another asset. And in a deep draft like this one, they can get a very good prospect at #17. I also suspect they could combine #33 and 17 in a deal to move up at least several spots.

I just hope the Wolves front office doesn't overthink this. Often the best path is the one right in front of your nose.

I legit wonder with the news about Harden not sure about the Rockets future. Something like this will happen.

Rockets get #1, #6, #17 and a future 1st

Hawks get Culver and Cov

Wolves get Simmons

76ers get Harden
kekgeek

Post by kekgeek »

If the Wolves trade for #6 do they think Ball will be there at #6

Wolves take Wiseman
Warriors take Edwards
Hornets take the USC center (not sure how to spell it)
Bulls might take ball but I doubt it
Cavs won't pick another PG will they

Then Ball is on the board before the 2 teams of the Pistons and Knicks who want a PG pick.

I don't like Ball but I would gamble on Ball if he was the 2nd 1st round pick