Wolves are attempting to add another lotto pick

Any And All Things T-Wolves Related
Camden [enjin:6601484]

Re: Wolves are attempting to add another lotto pick

Post by Camden [enjin:6601484] »

lipoli390 wrote:Here's a question. If Simmons, Beal and Booker are all unavailable - at least for anything the Wolves can offer - then who might the Wolves be pursuing in a draft-day trade and is there anyone other than the three I mentioned who would be worth giving up the #1 pick without getting another lottery pick in return?

There is one player that is a tier below Ben Simmons, Devin Booker, and Bradley Beal that I would definitely consider trading the first overall pick for, however, I would wager that he's considered unavailable by the franchise that rosters him. That last sentence is why I don't toss his name around because the likelihood of a deal transpiring is minimal.

That player is Jaylen Brown of the Boston Celtics. Right now, at the age of 24-years old, he's a borderline All-Star in the Eastern Conference with some pundits believing he was snubbed last season. He averaged 20.3 PPG, 6.4 RPG, 2.1 APG, and 1.1 SPG in just under 34 MPG. He's been an efficient three-level scorer throughout his four years in the NBA (career .561 TS%) and is coming off a season in which his shooting splits were 48.1 FG, 38.2 3P, and 72.4 FT. Brown is also a decent defender that can defend 1-4 depending on the matchup.

He's one of the game's most underrated young stars, in my opinion, primarily because the media is in love with Jayson Tatum, deservedly. You rarely hear about him on ESPN or NBA TV as he's overshadowed by his teammate.

Brown signed a four-year, $107-million contract extension in October of 2019 that starts this upcoming season. What looked like a slight overpay back then now appears to be leaning towards being a team-friendly deal.

The Celtics do have a massive hole at the center position where someone like James Wiseman would be an ideal fit, but I doubt Danny Ainge would be willing to shift the makeup of his roster to make that happen. If you're the Wolves, though, you could offer the first overall pick, Jarrett Culver, and James Johnson for Brown.
mrhockey89

Post by mrhockey89 »

lipoli390 wrote:
mrhockey89 wrote:I was listening to Tommy Sheppard (Wizard's GM) on the Lowe Post podcast and it definitely didn't feel like they have any intention on entertaining Beal trade offers, and said their team is building around Beal. Given Beal has indicated his own loyalty as well, I'm assuming this door is shut.

That said, looks like John Wall is an idiot.

Lol. Yes, Wall is an idiot. You might be right about Beal. But I'm not taking Sheppard at his word on this. I just don't see a path forward for the Wizards with Beal. They were terrible this past season with Beal and I don't see that changing with the return of John Wall coming off Achilles surgery. I'm just going with a gut feeling. The evidence clearly supports your view that he's not going anywhere this year.

Here's a question. If Simmons, Beal and Booker are all unavailable - at least for anything the Wolves can offer - then who might the Wolves be pursuing in a draft-day trade and is there anyone other than the three I mentioned who would be worth giving up the #1 pick without getting another lottery pick in return?

Here's a couple names that were thrown around in the podcast...

Bulls offer #4 + Wendell Carter Jr. for #1
OKC offers Shai Gilgeous-Alexander for #1
AbeVigodaLive

Post by AbeVigodaLive »

KG4Ever wrote:
PorkChop wrote:
TheFuture wrote:
Q12543 wrote:
PorkChop wrote:It's not often you get a redo on your first pick from the year prior. And that's essentially what the Wolves would be able to do. So are we more comfortable seeing Cukver improve or possibly getting a pg that could slide DR over to sg and make the offense more well rounded.
Haliburtons ceiling is far higher than Culvers at this point.

....or this is all about big-game hunting and having the #1 an #6 could help reel in an all-star caliber talent.

Who realistically could be had for that?

For months everyone here acknowledged that this was a weak draft. Now our pics are good enough to land an all star. I just don't see it.

Its only weak at the very top, but otherwise I think there will be good players available into the early second round.

Sure. The rub is how confident are teams knowing which players those will be...
Mr. Brightside [enjin:16464947]

Post by Mr. Brightside [enjin:16464947] »

Camden0916 wrote:
lipoli390 wrote:Here's a question. If Simmons, Beal and Booker are all unavailable - at least for anything the Wolves can offer - then who might the Wolves be pursuing in a draft-day trade and is there anyone other than the three I mentioned who would be worth giving up the #1 pick without getting another lottery pick in return?

There is one player that is a tier below Ben Simmons, Devin Booker, and Bradley Beal that I would definitely consider trading the first overall pick for, however, I would wager that he's considered unavailable by the franchise that rosters him. That last sentence is why I don't toss his name around because the likelihood of a deal transpiring is minimal.

That player is Jaylen Brown of the Boston Celtics. Right now, at the age of 24-years old, he's a borderline All-Star in the Eastern Conference with some pundits believing he was snubbed last season. He averaged 20.3 PPG, 6.4 RPG, 2.1 APG, and 1.1 SPG in just under 34 MPG. He's been an efficient three-level scorer throughout his four years in the NBA (career .561 TS%) and is coming off a season in which his shooting splits were 48.1 FG, 38.2 3P, and 72.4 FT. Brown is also a decent defender that can defend 1-4 depending on the matchup.

He's one of the game's most underrated young stars, in my opinion, primarily because the media is in love with Jayson Tatum, deservedly. You rarely hear about him on ESPN or NBA TV as he's overshadowed by his teammate.

Brown signed a four-year, $107-million contract extension in October of 2019 that starts this upcoming season. What looked like a slight overpay back then now appears to be leaning towards being a team-friendly deal.

The Celtics do have a massive hole at the center position where someone like James Wiseman would be an ideal fit, but I doubt Danny Ainge would be willing to shift the makeup of his roster to make that happen. If you're the Wolves, though, you could offer the first overall pick, Jarrett Culver, and James Johnson for Brown.

Sneakily, I think it could be Khris Middleton.
Lipoli390

Post by Lipoli390 »

mrhockey89 wrote:
lipoli390 wrote:
mrhockey89 wrote:I was listening to Tommy Sheppard (Wizard's GM) on the Lowe Post podcast and it definitely didn't feel like they have any intention on entertaining Beal trade offers, and said their team is building around Beal. Given Beal has indicated his own loyalty as well, I'm assuming this door is shut.

Lol. Yes, Wall is an idiot. You might be right about Beal. But I'm not taking Sheppard at his word on this. I just don't see a path forward for the Wizards with Beal. They were terrible this past season with Beal and I don't see that changing with the return of John Wall coming off Achilles surgery. I'm just going with a gut feeling. The evidence clearly supports your view that he's not going anywhere this year.

Here's a question. If Simmons, Beal and Booker are all unavailable - at least for anything the Wolves can offer - then who might the Wolves be pursuing in a draft-day trade and is there anyone other than the three I mentioned who would be worth giving up the #1 pick without getting another lottery pick in return?

I'd do the deal for SGA. Not sure I'd do the deal with the Bulls. It's tempting, but I don't think Carter complements KAT nearly as well as Wiseman or Okogie.
Lipoli390

Post by Lipoli390 »

Camden wrote:

If I were Rosas, I'd do that deal in a heartbeat - even if it meant giving up Culver as well.
Monster

Post by Monster »

lipoli390 wrote:
mrhockey89 wrote:
lipoli390 wrote:

I'd do the deal for SGA. Not sure I'd do the deal with the Bulls. It's tempting, but I don't think Carter complements KAT nearly as well as Wiseman or Okogie.

I don't think SGA would be offered. I would do the Wendell Carter Jr trade. If a perimeter guy wasn't there that would allow me to trade down as I would already have a young big in Carter. Maybe #4 is too far to go down but I like Carter I think there is potential for him to be a nice all around player.

Of course there is an issue with this trade. The Wolves would have to send enough salary to match Wendell Carter's over 5 million in salary. It doesn't look like Spellman and Evans would be enough...adding in more players could kill whatever value one team was ok with.

I'm not dying to make this trade but in general I might be on board but I would certainly have to dig more into Carter jr than I have. He seems like sort of a similar type guy that Okongwu is.
Lipoli390

Post by Lipoli390 »

monsterpile wrote:
lipoli390 wrote:
mrhockey89 wrote:
lipoli390 wrote:

I don't think SGA would be offered. I would do the Wendell Carter Jr trade. If a perimeter guy wasn't there that would allow me to trade down as I would already have a young big in Carter. Maybe #4 is too far to go down but I like Carter I think there is potential for him to be a nice all around player.

Of course there is an issue with this trade. The Wolves would have to send enough salary to match Wendell Carter's over 5 million in salary. It doesn't look like Spellman and Evans would be enough...adding in more players could kill whatever value one team was ok with.

I'm not dying to make this trade but in general I might be on board but I would certainly have to dig more into Carter jr than I have. He seems like sort of a similar type guy that Okongwu is.

I don't see Carter as anything like Okongwu. My issue with Carter is that he's not a good defender and certainly isn't a rim protector. The reason it would make sense to add Wiseman or Okongwu is that their calling card is defense and if we're going to add another big next to KAT, he has to be a good defender. That's why I consider Toppin problematic. But I do agree that Carter is talented and he still has untapped upside. So I wouldn't hate the deal; it's just not a deal I'd be interested in making if I were in Gersson's shoes.

I agree that it's highly unlikely OKC would offer SGA for our #1 pick.
khans2k5 [enjin:6608728]

Post by khans2k5 [enjin:6608728] »

lipoli390 wrote:
monsterpile wrote:
lipoli390 wrote:
mrhockey89 wrote:
lipoli390 wrote:

I don't see Carter as anything like Okongwu. My issue with Carter is that he's not a good defender and certainly isn't a rim protector. The reason it would make sense to add Wiseman or Okongwu is that their calling card is defense and if we're going to add another big next to KAT, he has to be a good defender. That's why I consider Toppin problematic. But I do agree that Carter is talented and he still has untapped upside. So I wouldn't hate the deal; it's just not a deal I'd be interested in making if I were in Gersson's shoes.

He had a positive defensive box score +/- his rookie year and barely went negative last year on a team full of matadors. He's not an elite defender yet but anything close to 0 on that team is a borderline miracle effort. His problem is on offense which I'm not sure if he ever extends his range out to the 3pt line. He's at least efficient on the small touches he gets but he seems to be a net negative on that end. If you could turn the number 1 pick into Haliburton and Carter that would be quite intriguing to me. 1/Layman/Spellmen gets that deal done. If you wanted to spice it up you could do Carter/Porter/4 for 1/Culver/Layman/Spellman/Evans/Vanderbuilt/Johnson. Maybe find a third team to offload some of those guys. I'm not sure Chicago would want all of that fodder outside of Johnson and Culver but we just don't have any other salaries to make it match.

Russell/J Mac
Haliburton/Okogie
Porter Jr/17
Towns/FA
Carter/Naz

Porter Jr is overpaid but he's a 40% 3pt shooter and gives us an NBA quality 3 on the team. That team has 4 good 3pt shooters and Carter. I would be confident that team could make the playoffs even in the stacked West. That would be a pipe dream most likely though.
Monster

Post by Monster »

khans2k5 wrote:
lipoli390 wrote:
monsterpile wrote:
lipoli390 wrote:
mrhockey89 wrote:
lipoli390 wrote:

He had a positive defensive box score +/- his rookie year and barely went negative last year on a team full of matadors. He's not an elite defender yet but anything close to 0 on that team is a borderline miracle effort. His problem is on offense which I'm not sure if he ever extends his range out to the 3pt line. He's at least efficient on the small touches he gets but he seems to be a net negative on that end. If you could turn the number 1 pick into Haliburton and Carter that would be quite intriguing to me. 1/Layman/Spellmen gets that deal done. If you wanted to spice it up you could do Carter/Porter/4 for 1/Culver/Layman/Spellman/Evans/Vanderbuilt/Johnson. Maybe find a third team to offload some of those guys. I'm not sure Chicago would want all of that fodder outside of Johnson and Culver but we just don't have any other salaries to make it match.

Russell/J Mac
Haliburton/Okogie
Porter Jr/17
Towns/FA
Carter/Naz

Porter Jr is overpaid but he's a 40% 3pt shooter and gives us an NBA quality 3 on the team. That team has 4 good 3pt shooters and Carter. I would be confident that team could make the playoffs even in the stacked West. That would be a pipe dream most likely though.

Lip I'd invite you to look up Carter Jr's college numbers and compare them to Okongwu. Okongwu has some attributes (specifically athletically) that are considered better than Carter did but you can easily argue Carter was a better shooter and even better rebounder. He is also longer. Remember he put up those rebounding numbers playing with Bagley. Okongwu has the sexy potential of a draft pick but the reality is how much better is he actually going to be? Smart franchises get guys that haven't made it yet. Carter turned 21 in April. Like I said I'm not banging the table for this move and Carter but I would consider it.