Fire sale 2018!!!!

A place for Twinscentric Discussion
Jester1534

Re: Fire sale 2018!!!!

Post by Jester1534 »

bleedspeed177 wrote:Jester - I saw some of those deals and thought we didn't try to save money on them. I think we are paying part of Lynn's salary too. Certainly not being cheap, but did we get value for player/money? I wish we would have gotten some international pool money in the deals.

I guess I'm just confused with the position these guys all play. You guys know I'm huge Rooker Fan, but we added 2 first basemen this week and we have our 1st round pick Laranch as well. We added our fielding prospects by far our bigges non postion of need. I'm just confused what the plan is going forward with our front office.
bleedspeed

Post by bleedspeed »

Jester1534 wrote:
bleedspeed177 wrote:Jester - I saw some of those deals and thought we didn't try to save money on them. I think we are paying part of Lynn's salary too. Certainly not being cheap, but did we get value for player/money? I wish we would have gotten some international pool money in the deals.

I guess I'm just confused with the position these guys all play. You guys know I'm huge Rooker Fan, but we added 2 first basemen this week and we have our 1st round pick Laranch as well. We added our fielding prospects by far our bigges non postion of need. I'm just confused what the plan is going forward with our front office.

That is a good question for sure. It is like David Kahn is running the Twins. Maybe we are collection paperclips to trade for a stapler. I hope it is a RED STAPLER.
Monster

Post by Monster »

bleedspeed177 wrote:
Jester1534 wrote:

That is a good question for sure. It is like David Kahn is running the Twins. Maybe we are collection paperclips to trade for a stapler. I hope it is a RED STAPLER.

FWIW I just read the article about the trade deadline for the Twins and Dan Hayes the writer said every person he talked to around the league said the Twins did very well.
Monster

Post by Monster »

Well the fire sale continues. Rodney must have asked to go to a winning team and they accepted. Maybe the A's are paying the rest of his salary also. The guy they got back Dakota Chalmer is kinda intruiging but not exactly a top prospect.
bleedspeed

Post by bleedspeed »

Good for Rodney. Not much hope for Dakota even though he has shown some crazy strike out numbers at class A.
Monster

Post by Monster »

bleedspeed177 wrote:Good for Rodney. Not much hope for Dakota even though he has shown some crazy strike out numbers at class A.

So it turns out he had TJ surgury so that's why he hasn't pitched since April. Reading everything I can find he is the definition of a lottery ticket. It sounds like he really does have very good stuff it's just whether or not he can ever control it. Yeah that sounds like a lot of guys but it sounds like this stuff is REALLY good. The A's were working on tweaking his delivery with different arms slots etc and it sounds like there may have been some progress made before he got hurt. Chances he and the Twins get him right? Probably pretty low but if it works out? The upside sounds legitimately high. I wonder if Alston worked with him at all when he was with the A's organization. Chalmers was also arrested for DUI in May so that's not good. Not a great return for Rodney but also a guy that for a while doesn't take up a spot for someone else since he is injured.

Another way to look at this deal is financially. Sure Rodney's option for next year was pretty cheap 4.1 million. By dealing him now the Twins save over a million in salary this year. Supposedly there was another $300,000 bonus that will kick in while he pitches for the A's. So let's say the savings for this year in salary are around 1.5 million. So basically now the Twins could spend 5.6 million or so on a reliever in the offseason and it would cost the same amount as Rodney while giving other guys a chance in the pen the rest of this season while also getting another lottery ticket prospect and sending Rodney to a winning situation. They could also spend more than 5.6 million on someone that might be better than Rodney or spend 4 million on another Rodney type guy and end up saving some money. I liked Rodney and thought the signing was a good one and wanted them to keep him but I can see this working out just fine. I don't really get the people on Twitter going bonkers we dealt him and ripping the FO for doing so. It was the FO that signed him to a relatively cheap deal just a few months ago. What idiots. lol

I guess innthe last week or so baseball America ranked the Twins farm system 7th in baseball. It has continued going up after being ranked 22 a couple years ago. Fire these guys they don't know what they are doing...
bleedspeed

Post by bleedspeed »

The off the field stuff concerns me with Dakota, but the kid had 47 k's in 29 innings at A level in 2017. (along with 29 walks) There is some talent there.
bleedspeed

Post by bleedspeed »

I hope we claimed Billy Hamilton.

Billy in RF with Buxton in LF. We might be able to get away with Sano in CF.