Wiggins vaccination appeal denied

Any And All Things T-Wolves Related
Q12543 [enjin:6621299]

Re: Wiggins vaccination appeal denied

Post by Q12543 [enjin:6621299] »

thedoper wrote:
AbeVigodaLive wrote:For those who don't have any trust in the media, polling and other stuff... I don't think you're blindly winging your takes. So where do you go to for the "best" (as in most reliable or seemingly sincere or most informative or whatever) news online?

This is a 100% non-condescending, nor leading question. Obviously, any of us could point to 2 or 3 or 200 or 300 cases of media bias if we wanted to. So either we aggregate from several sources on both sides of the proverbial aisle and apply a generous amount of salt... or throw the baby out with the bathwater. Obviously some here have taken the latter approach.

And that's ok. I'm not against it. I try to avoid some places already (and entirely ignore the FOX, MSNBC, CNN tv personalities). But then where are we getting our information...

I'm cool with reading and learning new things. Share some of your favorite links?

Thanks.

[Note: For transparency, I'll visit the following sites from time to time depending what I'm searching for... StarTribune, PioneerPress, WaPo, Washington Examiner, Wall Street Journal, Time, Newsweek, Axios, Real Clear Politics, Forbes, NYT, New York Post, FOX News, NPR News, TheHill, Politico and others... along the way I stopped bothering with poorly disguised propaganda machines such as Gateway Pundit, Salon, Vox, Breitbart, et al. And... I'll be honest... style matters. Writing matters. Aesthetics matter.]

Great post. I think your approach is as good as you can get with the news. Try to get as many perspectives as possible and ideally end up somewhere in the middle. I would add some international media to that list too. Reuters, the Economist, Al Jazeera, Jerusalem Post, and the Daily Mail (mostly for celebrity gossip)

Yeah, that's a hell of a lot of sources Abe and I can appreciate why you have a fairly balanced perspective on things. When you are gleaning info from that many sources, you can see the best of and worst of both righty and lefty takes. I don't have nearly as many "go-to" sources, but as far as corporate media is concerned, mine include: TheHill, Politico, Wall Street Journal, and The Week.

I do think we are starting to see a trend toward independent media not tied to any large corporate backers. The two folks I've been watching pretty regularly now for over a year is Krystal Ball and Saagar Enjeti. They were originally hosts of Rising on TheHIll's youtube channel. But then they went totally independent and started Breaking Points. They quickly became the #1 political podcast in the country. Their personal views differ from each other, but both despise corporate media and tribalism. I'd recommend you guys check them out.

Abe, you once linked to a graph that showed where various media outlets stood relative to the political spectrum. Can you dig that out and post here? I'd love to see that again.
Phenom

Post by Phenom »

No one care to acknowledge my story about the abnormalities shown in surviving covid patients? I saw someone brought up the effect on children. If these kids have their life cut short in their 30s or 40s due to covid they got as a child, that would be incredibly regrettable. Maybe (hopefully) nothing comes of that but what does it hurt to play it safe?
thedoper

Post by thedoper »

Phenom's_Revenge wrote:No one care to acknowledge my story about the abnormalities shown in surviving covid patients? I saw someone brought up the effect on children. If these kids have their life cut short in their 30s or 40s due to covid they got as a child, that would be incredibly regrettable. Maybe (hopefully) nothing comes of that but what does it hurt to play it safe?

I think it's super troubling. The "long covid" research is just starting. I have heard researchers imply that it could be linked to genetic factors related to heart disease. It sounds awful and Im pretty sure I would be one of those long Covid patients. This bug is a real fucker, and it mutates rapidly (yes this could be part of its design for those proponents of the lab leak theory).
Wolvesfan21

Post by Wolvesfan21 »

AbeVigodaLive wrote:I just hope that we don't have anything like this again...

Right now, I'm young enough and healthy enough not to be at risk. But in a few decades, I worry about all those people who don't get worked up and don't care whether I'm stuck in the house alone void of contact with loved ones and hoping I don't die from random contact with somebody who's sick. People who just consider me to be an old person who was probably gonna die anyway. To be fair, some of those guys who can't bother to get worked up will be my contemporaries at that point, so we'll at least have this to look back at fondly together.

If vaccines work you have nothing to worry about.

I hate to say it but the people in charge don't mind getting rid of old people on SS and Medicare.
Wolvesfan21

Post by Wolvesfan21 »

AbeVigodaLive wrote:For those who don't have any trust in the media, polling and other stuff... I don't think you're blindly winging your takes. So where do you go to for the "best" (as in most reliable or seemingly sincere or most informative or whatever) news online?

This is a 100% non-condescending, nor leading question. Obviously, any of us could point to 2 or 3 or 200 or 300 cases of media bias if we wanted to. So either we aggregate from several sources on both sides of the proverbial aisle and apply a generous amount of salt... or throw the baby out with the bathwater. Obviously some here have taken the latter approach.

And that's ok. I'm not against it. I try to avoid some places already (and entirely ignore the FOX, MSNBC, CNN tv personalities). But then where are we getting our information...

I'm cool with reading and learning new things. Share some of your favorite links?

Thanks.

[Note: For transparency, I'll visit the following sites from time to time depending what I'm searching for... StarTribune, PioneerPress, WaPo, Washington Examiner, Wall Street Journal, Time, Newsweek, Axios, Real Clear Politics, Forbes, NYT, New York Post, FOX News, NPR News, TheHill, Politico and others... along the way I stopped bothering with poorly disguised propaganda machines such as Gateway Pundit, Salon, Vox, Breitbart, et al. And... I'll be honest... style matters. Writing matters. Aesthetics matter.]

The news is simply knowing the news is BS.
FNG

Post by FNG »

Q12543 wrote:Abe, you once linked to a graph that showed where various media outlets stood relative to the political spectrum. Can you dig that out and post here? I'd love to see that again.

Q, I don't know if this is the one Abe linked, but it's the one I use.

https://adfontesmedia.com/static-mbc/?utm_source=HomePage_StaticMBC_Button&utm_medium=OnWebSite_Button

I'm a news junkie...frankly, I find it lazy to blanketly condemn media news coverage, because to me there are clear differences in their credibility. I don't think I would feel comfortable casting a vote if I weren't informed, and various media sources are the way I educate myself. And like others here, I access a variety of sources in a search for the truth. Reporting on issues that are important to me can vary significantly (right now I'm flipping back and forth between Morning Joe and Fox and Friends, and the "facts" are 180 degrees apart), which then forces me to explore other sources in a quest to find out the real story. It's not easy, but I firmly believe it's our duty as citizens to be as informed as we can be. I understand that there are others here who have been driven away from media by the biased reporting of the left and of the right...you're just not going to get content you can rely on from Joy Reid or Sean Hannity, only slanted agenda-driven reporting. But the truth is out there if you're willing to dig in and do the work.

FNG wrote:
Q12543 wrote:Abe, you once linked to a graph that showed where various media outlets stood relative to the political spectrum. Can you dig that out and post here? I'd love to see that again.

Q, I don't know if this is the one Abe linked, but it's the one I use.

https://adfontesmedia.com/static-mbc/?utm_source=HomePage_StaticMBC_Button&utm_medium=OnWebSite_Button

I'm a news junkie...frankly, I find it lazy to blanketly condemn media news coverage, because to me there are clear differences in their credibility. I don't think I would feel comfortable casting a vote if I weren't informed, and various media sources are the way I educate myself. And like others here, I access a variety of sources in a search for the truth. Reporting on issues that are important to me can vary significantly (right now I'm flipping back and forth between Morning Joe and Fox and Friends, and the "facts" are 180 degrees apart), which then forces me to explore other sources in a quest to find out the real story. It's not easy, but I firmly believe it's our duty as citizens to be as informed as we can be. I understand that there are others here who have been driven away from media by the biased reporting of the left and of the right...you're just not going to get content you can rely on from Joy Reid or Sean Hannity, only slanted agenda-driven reporting. But the truth is out there if you're willing to dig in and do the work.

Yes, that's it. Thank you!

I also agree that it's our duty to seek out information from a variety of sources. A lot of the bias that occurs is not even necessarily peddling mis-information. Most of it is the bias of editorial decisions - what gets reported and what doesn't. To me, NPR (which I chuckle a bit at how little to the left they are on this graph) have sort of perfected the art of appearing credible and sophisticated, but absolutely tilt left in how much they emphasize and report on certain stories versus others. Now what they report may be well researched and truthful....they just pick their topics to make sure it largely caters to their well educated liberal audience. Obviously it's a similar story with right-leaning news sources.
bleedspeed

Post by bleedspeed »

Isn't it too early to sell Tim's morgue?

https://www.kare11.com/article/news/local/breaking-the-news/minnesota-selling-warehouse-envisioned-as-backup-morgue/89-9804af0c-8314-40cc-8e5e-aedcbd823bca
AbeVigodaLive

Post by AbeVigodaLive »

Q12543 wrote:
thedoper wrote:

Thanks.

Great post. I think your approach is as good as you can get with the news. Try to get as many perspectives as possible and ideally end up somewhere in the middle. I would add some international media to that list too. Reuters, the Economist, Al Jazeera, Jerusalem Post, and the Daily Mail (mostly for celebrity gossip)

Yeah, that's a hell of a lot of sources Abe and I can appreciate why you have a fairly balanced perspective on things. When you are gleaning info from that many sources, you can see the best of and worst of both righty and lefty takes. I don't have nearly as many "go-to" sources, but as far as corporate media is concerned, mine include: TheHill, Politico, Wall Street Journal, and The Week.

I do think we are starting to see a trend toward independent media not tied to any large corporate backers. The two folks I've been watching pretty regularly now for over a year is Krystal Ball and Saagar Enjeti. They were originally hosts of Rising on TheHIll's youtube channel. But then they went totally independent and started Breaking Points. They quickly became the #1 political podcast in the country. Their personal views differ from each other, but both despise corporate media and tribalism. I'd recommend you guys check them out.

Ha.

Yeah. I'm not checking out all those regularly. I do have to work. And I'm sane, sorta. But I guess my point is that I have read stuff from all of those sources and I'll take stuff I read from them as "news" and relatively trustworthy. Obviously, Op-Ed pieces are a different breed and often get conflated with "news."

Thanks for the tip. I'll check out the podcast. I don't have any political podcasts in my regular library...

[Note: Another media bias chart... https://my.lwv.org/california/torrance-area/article/how-reliable-your-news-source-understanding-media-bias-2021 ]