Fire sale 2018!!!!

A place for Twinscentric Discussion
Monster

Re: Fire sale 2018!!!!

Post by Monster »

Well the Twins moves are living up to the title of this thread. Duke and Lynn got moved. Tyler Austin is an interesting power guy. Morrison was a guy I thought wasn't going to finish the season here but now adding Austin makes him even less needed here.
Jester1534

Post by Jester1534 »

monsterpile wrote:Well the Twins moves are living up to the title of this thread. Duke and Lynn got moved. Tyler Austin is an interesting power guy. Morrison was a guy I thought wasn't going to finish the season here but now adding Austin makes him even less needed here.

Yuck I hate Tyler Austin's we already have project power hitting first basemen his name is Brent Rooker.

Rijo intrigues me though sounds like he has great secondary stuff but he's only 19 he's a ways off.

I know it's a two months rental trade but I give this a thumbs down. I wonder if this is sign that Mauer maybe traded to a contender. Also the Red Sox traded for kinsler today so mark them off the list for Dozier.
bleedspeed

Post by bleedspeed »

Not sure. I don't give it a thumbs down, but it doesn't move the needle either. I don't see any of these 4 guys cracking our top 30 prospects.
Monster

Post by Monster »

jester1534 wrote:
monsterpile wrote:Well the Twins moves are living up to the title of this thread. Duke and Lynn got moved. Tyler Austin is an interesting power guy. Morrison was a guy I thought wasn't going to finish the season here but now adding Austin makes him even less needed here.

Yuck I hate Tyler Austin's we already have project power hitting first basemen his name is Brent Rooker.

Rijo intrigues me though sounds like he has great secondary stuff but he's only 19 he's a ways off.

I know it's a two months rental trade but I give this a thumbs down. I wonder if this is sign that Mauer maybe traded to a contender. Also the Red Sox traded for kinsler today so mark them off the list for Dozier.

I don't see the problem with adding another power bat espcially since I assume Austin is pretty cheap going forward. He is a Morrison replacement not a guy that's likely viewed at the top option to man 1b long term or whatever. We got something for Lynn hard to complain about that imo. Like Bleed said does it move the needle? Probably not but it's another shot at getting someone worthwhile.
bleedspeed

Post by bleedspeed »

Dozier to Dodgers

We get there 19th rated prospect back. A power hitting 1B/RF in Like Raley.
Monster

Post by Monster »

bleedspeed177 wrote:Dozier to Dodgers

We get there 19th rated prospect back. A power hitting 1B/RF in Like Raley.

Getting Forsythe isn't eh worst thing either. I know people are gonna want a young guy but Gordon doesn't seem ready yet. Forsythe used to actually be able to hit. Maybe he finds his groove again.

I'm gonna have to look more at the following site when I get a chance. Here is a scouting report on Smelzter from last year.

http://baseballcensus.com/2017/10/04/los-angeles-dodgers-devin-smeltzer-scouting-report-baseball-player-evaluation-video-2017/
bleedspeed

Post by bleedspeed »

I like Luke Raley. Looks like we are stocking up at SS's and 1B.

couting grades: Hit: 45 | Power: 50 | Run: 50 | Arm: 55 | Field: 55 | Overall: 45

Raley had a monster junior season at NCAA Division II Lake Erie (Ohio) in 2016, setting school records for hitting (.424), on-base percentage (.528), slugging (.747) and homers (12). He also eclipsed Ryan Rua as the highest-drafted player in Storm history when the Dodgers took him in the seventh round. They challenged him with an assignment to high Class A for his first full pro season and he responded by batting .295 with 46 extra-base hits. He was having an All-Star season in the Double-A Texas League in 2018 when he was sent to the Twins in the Brian Dozier deadline deal.

Raley has strength and leverage in his 6-foot-3 frame and could develop average power if he adds more loft to his left-handed stroke. He handles left-handers and right-handers equally well but could use some more patience at the plate. An average runner out of the batter's box who picks up speed underway, he's aggressive on the bases.

With his sound instincts and solid arm strength, Raley can get the job done on either outfield corner. He also can fill in as a center fielder and handle first base. He's earned praise for his grinder attitude and there is belief he'll get the most out of his ability.
bleedspeed

Post by bleedspeed »

So it looks like we beefed up our top 30 prospects by adding the following at trade deadline.

11. Jorge Alcala - RHP - 23yo
14. Gilberto Celestino - OF - 19yo
17. Gabriel Maciel - CF - 19yo
19. Luke Raley 1B/OF - 23yo
23. Jhoan Duran - RHP - 20yo
Jester1534

Post by Jester1534 »

I just don't know why we didn't get a better prosecutor for Dozier if we're eating Forsythe contract. I'm hope I'm reading incorrectly that we're paying his contract.
bleedspeed

Post by bleedspeed »

Jester - I saw some of those deals and thought we didn't try to save money on them. I think we are paying part of Lynn's salary too. Certainly not being cheap, but did we get value for player/money? I wish we would have gotten some international pool money in the deals.