Dave Benz fired

Any And All Things T-Wolves Related
Lipoli390

Re: Dave Benz fired

Post by Lipoli390 »

Phenom's_Revenge wrote:Maybe Harlan wants to come home for one last ride.

That would be a real treat. But alas, it's probably just a dream.
kekgeek

Post by kekgeek »

lipoli390 wrote:
Q-was-here wrote:You guys know that she's done play by play for Wolves games before, right? She would occasionally sit in for Benzie to call a game or two. She actually comes across quite differently as a play by play person, meaning she adapts her style and cadence to the role.

I don't necessarily find her to be any better than Benz, but having heard her call a couple games, I thought she was quite competent at it.

I've never seen her in that role and I have a hard time imagining it.

Ya she did like 2 wolves games at the end of the year when Benz had covid. She did Lynx games last year and is doing them again this year.

In no way is she bad, it would just be a step down in my opinion from Benz. She also said on the Power Trip she isn't sure she want to travel that much anymore but we'll see
Lipoli390

Post by Lipoli390 »

Maybe it's going to be Marney, maybe not. But in any event, I don't think they would have fired Benz if they didn't already have a replacement lined up. I just hope it's someone at least as good as Benz -- hopefully even better.
AbeVigodaLive

Post by AbeVigodaLive »

kekgeek1 wrote:
lipoli390 wrote:
Q-was-here wrote:You guys know that she's done play by play for Wolves games before, right? She would occasionally sit in for Benzie to call a game or two. She actually comes across quite differently as a play by play person, meaning she adapts her style and cadence to the role.

I don't necessarily find her to be any better than Benz, but having heard her call a couple games, I thought she was quite competent at it.

I've never seen her in that role and I have a hard time imagining it.

Ya she did like 2 wolves games at the end of the year when Benz had covid. She did Lynx games last year and is doing them again this year.

In no way is she bad, it would just be a step down in my opinion from Benz. She also said on the Power Trip she isn't sure she want to travel that much anymore but we'll see

I wasn't a fan of Gellner in the role. I thought Benz was pretty solid overall.... and that the tandem is really really good.

I do fear of adding an over-the-top rube. I can't watch/listen to that sort of take.

Ironically, Benz last game made him look like a genius. He mentioned at the beginning of the telecast that he told the Memphis broadcast crew to watch out for Jaden McDaniels that game. Turns out the kid had his best game as a pro.

Hope the guy lands a solid gig.
Hope he's replaced with a solid pro who gels with Peterson.
TheGrey08

Post by TheGrey08 »

kekgeek1 wrote:
Q-was-here wrote:Was there a reason given why he was let go? I liked him too. I do think sometimes J-Pete would respond to some of Benz's takes with "huh?" type incredulity and it sometimes came off as a bit rude, but that's on him, not Benzie. But most of the time they indeed seemed to have really good chemistry.

They opted out of his contact stating "wanting a fresh start". Rumors are a streaming service is coming for 20$ a month you can watch local MN sports

I don't get the decision either and I found it rare to tolerate most opposing crews so I'm not sure what they are trying to do. I don't have Bally Sports so I use alternate streams and sometimes can't get a quality MN stream.

As far as the Bally streaming service, it's not a rumor anymore. Sinclair announced BS+ at 19.99/mo or just under $16/mo if you pay annually. Personally, they can go F themselves, I won't give Sinclair a penny as long as they keep trying to gauge fans.