Around the league thread 2021-2022

Any And All Things T-Wolves Related
AbeVigodaLive

Re: Around the league thread 2021-2022

Post by AbeVigodaLive »

I thought Cole Anthony's game last night was a fluke. But was it?
After a slow start, he's been playing great.

Season stats: 19 / 8 / 6 / 45% fg / 45% 3fg

How much would we be freaking out if our non-lottery draft pick was doing that in year 2?
thedoper

Post by thedoper »

AbeVigodaLive wrote:I thought Cole Anthony's game last night was a fluke. But was it?
After a slow start, he's been playing great.

Season stats: 19 / 8 / 6 / 45% fg / 45% 3fg

How much would we be freaking out if our non-lottery draft pick was doing that in year 2?

I know he had an injury but I thought it was insane how far he slipped that draft. He was a legit offensive threat pre-injury though often criticized for selfish play. Im not surprised personally. He always had a presence with the ball. There is a comfort with certain players. I'm more surprised that Suggs seems to have lost that poise on the floor. He seems a little out of sorts so far.
Lipoli390

Post by Lipoli390 »

The Sixers beat the Bulls yesterday 114-105. They did it not only without Simmons but also without Tobias Harris. Thybulle didn't play either. How did they win. Well, Embiid had 30 points, 14 rebounds and several blocks. That certainly helped. But the key is that the Sixers had 7 players with double-digit scoring. And a guy named Korkmaz had 25 points. They are now 8-2 without Simmons. I don't like Morey and I've criticized him pretty relentlessly. But maybe he is a genius.

In any event, the Sixers provide an interesting contrast to the Wolves. The Sixers the season without their 2nd-best player Simmons and caught up in what appeared to be a toxic drama. Simmons has missed all 10 games thus far while their 3rd-best player, Tobias Harris, has missed 4 of those 10. Embiid has missed 1 game as well. Yet, they are 8-2 so far this season and they won their one game without Embiid. In contrast, the Wolves entered the season with all their top players, no negative drama and a positive vibe. The Wolves have had all their top players except DLO for every game and DLO for most of those games. And they had a very easy schedule to start the season. Yet, the Wolves are 3-5.

I'm not going to try to explain this. If we swapped KAT for Embiid, would the Wolves have a better record than 3-5 right now? I think so. If we swapped swapped rosters with the Sixers, except for Embiid and KAT, would our record be better? Again, I think so. If we kept our roster but swapped Finch for Doc Rivers, would our record be better? I'm not sure.
FNG

Post by FNG »

lipoli390 wrote:The Sixers beat the Bulls yesterday 114-105. They did it not only without Simmons but also without Tobias Harris. Thybulle didn't play either. How did they win. Well, Embiid had 30 points, 14 rebounds and several blocks. That certainly helped. But the key is that the Sixers had 7 players with double-digit scoring. And a guy named Korkmaz had 25 points. They are now 8-2 without Simmons. I don't like Morey and I've criticized him pretty relentlessly. But maybe he is a genius.

In any event, the Sixers provide an interesting contrast to the Wolves. The Sixers the season without their 2nd-best player Simmons and caught up in what appeared to be a toxic drama. Simmons has missed all 10 games thus far while their 3rd-best player, Tobias Harris, has missed 4 of those 10. Embiid has missed 1 game as well. Yet, they are 8-2 so far this season and they won their one game without Embiid. In contrast, the Wolves entered the season with all their top players, no negative drama and a positive vibe. The Wolves have had all their top players except DLO for every game and DLO for most of those games. And they had a very easy schedule to start the season. Yet, the Wolves are 3-5.

I'm not going to try to explain this. If we swapped KAT for Embiid, would the Wolves have a better record than 3-5 right now? I think so. If we swapped swapped rosters with the Sixers, except for Embiid and KAT, would our record be better? Again, I think so. If we kept our roster but swapped Finch for Doc Rivers, would our record be better? I'm not sure.

I'm watching the Sixers drama intently this season, and their success without Simmons (and Tobias) tells me that I have been overvaluing Ben. I never thought they would start 8-2 without him. I know you've been consistent with this almost from the start, but I'm no longer interested in giving up anything I find valuable to bring in Ben. Now, the Wolves have a lot of pieces that I don't find very valuable right now...thank you Rosas...but I'm afraid those pieces aren't going to be of much interest to Morey. But with every Philly win, the price tag for Simmons drops a little more.
Camden [enjin:6601484]

Post by Camden [enjin:6601484] »

On the contrary, the price for Ben Simmons remains the same. However, with every Sixers win the pressure on their front office to move him lessens.
Hicks123 [enjin:6700838]

Post by Hicks123 [enjin:6700838] »

I'm watching the Sixers drama intently this season, and their success without Simmons (and Tobias) tells me that I have been overvaluing Ben. I never thought they would start 8-2 without him. I know you've been consistent with this almost from the start, but I'm no longer interested in giving up anything I find valuable to bring in Ben. Now, the Wolves have a lot of pieces that I don't find very valuable right now...thank you Rosas...but I'm afraid those pieces aren't going to be of much interest to Morey. But with every Philly win, the price tag for Simmons drops a little more.

Meh, not sure this stand against Simmons holds much value right now. In looking at the stats, it looks like a product of others simply stepping up and capitalizing on the opportunity vs Simmons not being a major contributor.. Seth Curry scoring 17 per, Maxey, Niang and Korkmaz continuing to develop and contribute career highs, etc.

And now Embiid as COVID. I think we see a severe regression to the mean moving forward. Especially with some added pressure of Embiid missing time.
Camden [enjin:6601484]

Post by Camden [enjin:6601484] »

What's the most that YOU would give up for Christian Wood? That's a guy that solves a lot of problems for Minnesota and he's stuck on a losing team. I have to think he'd be available, but what would you throw at Houston to pry him away?
Hicks123 [enjin:6700838]

Post by Hicks123 [enjin:6700838] »

Don't think they will have any interest in moving Wood. He makes reasonable money at $14M per the next 2 seasons, and fits their youth timeline. Also, leading team in points, rebounds, blocks and close to top in steals. He and Sengun seem like solid building blocks up front for years to come.

All that said, it is going to take some serious assets. Can't really find anything I think would interest them. If McDaniels was as good as some on this board thought, he would be the main asset. I just don't believe other teams would view him in a positive light just yet. Would need to be several of Vando, McDaniels, Reid, draft picks.
Lipoli390

Post by Lipoli390 »

Hicks123 wrote:Don't think they will have any interest in moving Wood. He makes reasonable money at $14M per the next 2 seasons, and fits their youth timeline. Also, leading team in points, rebounds, blocks and close to top in steals. He and Sengun seem like solid building blocks up front for years to come.

All that said, it is going to take some serious assets. Can't really find anything I think would interest them. If McDaniels was as good as some on this board thought, he would be the main asset. I just don't believe other teams would view him in a positive light just yet. Would need to be several of Vando, McDaniels, Reid, draft picks.

McDaniels was reportedly a coveted asset around the League this past off season. I suspect his value has declined since then, but I'm sure GMs and scouts around the League appreciate currently very good defense and his high upside. Enough to get Wood? Probably not in a straight-up deal, but a possibility with other assets included.
Lipoli390

Post by Lipoli390 »

Andre Drummond had 20 rebounds and 17 points tonight against the Bucks. Maxey had 31 points, 5 rebounds and 4 assists. I suspect the Wolves failed to explore or passed on other opportunities in order to retain assets that might eventually be used to acquire Simmons. I always thought that was one of the downsides to the Wolves' reported hot pursuit of Simmons. Meanwhile, bigs like Drummond and others were acquired by new teams. Rosas did some good things while here. But one of his flaws in my view was his tunnel vision - i.e., his tendency to obsess over particular players to the exclusion of others. His pursuit of DLO in free agency and then via trade is a prime example. His decision to re-sign Juancho last year was another example. He wanted Juancho when he made the trade with Denver and he was so obsessed with keeping him that he overpaid to keep him. I suspect his obsession with drafting Garland that he traded up without knowing for sure he could get him. I think Rosas was overly focused on acquiring Simmons to the exclusion of pursuing other opportunities. Just speculation, but that's my sense.