Ricky Rubio

Any And All Things T-Wolves Related
Lipoli390

Ricky Rubio

Post by Lipoli390 »

https://theathletic.com/2215354/2020/11/23/ricky-rubio-timberwolves-exclusive/

A great article by Jon K on Ricky's return to Minnesota.

My initial reaction to the trade for Ricky was negative because of what we could have gotten at #17 and my view that Ricky's contract is a lot to pay for a backup PG. But as someone who has always loved Ricky and his game, my position has softened on the as I read and reflect more on what Ricky brings to the table. Part of it is the mentoring and leadership that Ricky will bring to an otherwise young team. His leadership and guidance will be particularly important as we bring in the ultra-talented, but very young, Anthony Edwards. But Ricky brings a lot to the table as a player and, at age 30, he should still be near the top of his game. As one commenter said, it's like the Wolves got Edward and Ball in the draft, with Ricky providing the elite playmaking that Ball purportedly provides. Of course, Ricky also brings tenacious defense and the savvy of a veteran - two things you're not going to get from Ball.

So I'm excited to have Ricky returning. I noted when I complained about the trade on draft night that I still thought Ricky would be a net positive for the Wolves. I think my initial take significantly under-estimated the value he'll bring to this team. He'll be far more than a typical backup PG. Instead, I see him as a key, regulator part of the Wolves core rotation. And in that role, he'll make the team better because that's what he does.
Monster

Re: Ricky Rubio

Post by Monster »

lipoli390 wrote:https://theathletic.com/2215354/2020/11/23/ricky-rubio-timberwolves-exclusive/

A great article by Jon K on Ricky's return to Minnesota.

My initial reaction to the trade for Ricky was negative because of what we could have gotten at #17 and my view that Ricky's contract is a lot to pay for a backup PG. But as someone who has always loved Ricky and his game, my position has softened on the as I read and reflect more on what Ricky brings to the table. Part of it is the mentoring and leadership that Ricky will bring to an otherwise young team. His leadership and guidance will be particularly important as we bring in the ultra-talented, but very young, Anthony Edwards. But Ricky brings a lot to the table as a player and, at age 30, he should still be near the top of his game. As one commenter said, it's like the Wolves got Edward and Ball in the draft, with Ricky providing the elite playmaking that Ball purportedly provides. Of course, Ricky also brings tenacious defense and the savvy of a veteran - two things you're not going to get from Ball.

So I'm excited to have Ricky returning. I noted when I complained about the trade on draft night that I still thought Ricky would be a net positive for the Wolves. I think my initial take significantly under-estimated the value he'll bring to this team. He'll be far more than a typical backup PG. Instead, I see him as a key, regulator part of the Wolves core rotation. And in that role, he'll make the team better because that's what he does.

Im glad you are coming around Lip. :) To me it's pretty simple. They brought in a starter level player who is an upgrade over James Johnson and still had 2 shots in the draft at picking worthwhile young players on dirt cheap contracts. The fact that they ended up with Ed Davis later makes the trade make even more sense because now the Wolves have a Legit veteran in Ed Davis in the frontcourt. Keep in mind James Johnson stock was a little down overall when the Wolves got him last year because he didn't play early on in the season for Miami because he didn't come to camp in shape. The Wolves may have raised his value a little bit...crazy right?!? Lol Rubio is still an advanced data darling. A lot of the players on this roster will have never played with a PG like Rubio he is going to make it a little easier on guys. To some extent Rubio is probably a better/more valuable player than when he left because I think he knows what he is and how he can impact the game. He was growing into that player when he left but he hadn't gotten there yet.
Camden [enjin:6601484]

Post by Camden [enjin:6601484] »

Ricky Rubio absolutely makes this current Wolves team better. And though his addition was not necessarily a need for this team, in my opinion, there's no debating that what he brings on a nightly basis in 2020-21 wasn't going to be found anywhere in this draft. He's a good point guard any way you spin it even with his weaknesses. I totally get that.

My issue is that in two or three years, maybe less, we're not going to be excited about trading that 17th overall pick for him. We can revisit this when that time comes because it'll be one of those "what if" conversations on this board. Rubio will be 32 or 33 and likely on his fourth or fifth team. His best days will be behind him and Minnesota fans will only have their nostalgic memories of the Spanish wonder. Meanwhile, there will be a player that was available at 17 who turns out to be quite valuable that was passed up by this front office in order to acquire Rubio. Saddiq Bey, Precious Achiuwa, Josh Green, R.J. Hampton, etc. -- there will be someone that blossoms into a serious player.

Additionally, I feel like Rubio could have been acquired for less. This is complete speculation on my part, but there were more valuable, or comparably valuable, players that were dealt for less than the 17th overall pick and James Johnson's expiring contract. Seth Curry was traded for Josh Richardson and the 36th overall pick. Luke Kennard was traded for Dzanan Musa and the 19th overall pick. Enes Kanter was traded for two second round picks. I honestly feel like the Thunder would have taken Johnson's expiring and the 33rd overall pick or future second-round picks for Rubio alone. Oklahoma City would have kept the 25th and 28th overall picks to do whatever they wanted. They could have traded up with another team instead.

So, to recap, I feel like there were very talented players available at 17 that could be real difference-makers in the near future. I feel like Rubio could have been had for less than what was given up. And despite believing all of this I am consciously aware that Rubio makes the 2020-21 Wolves a better team.
60WinTim

Post by 60WinTim »

There are a lot of reasons why the Wolves need to be better in 2020-21. All the losing and missed opportunities because of the losing (e.g. all-star nods and other accolades) have got to be taking its toll on KAT. Fan enthusiasm and attendance is near the bottom in the league. We have so many young players that need to be shown there is a way out of this losing culture the Wolves have had for well over a decade. It is this coaching staff's second season and improvement is needed to show their vision is turning the team in the right direction.

I get your reservations on what the Wolves elected to do for near term instead of long term potential. But I find myself embracing what they have done to try making this season the season where we began climbing the Western Conference ladder.
Q12543 [enjin:6621299]

Post by Q12543 [enjin:6621299] »

It seems to me that most young teams that make a big leap forward do it with a combination of youth and vets, even though its the youth that gets all the attention. Rubio played the 3rd most minutes and had the 2nd most win shares on a team that went from 19 wins the prior season to nearly a .500 record. There is absolutely zero doubt in my mind that he was a major part of their turnaround, along with continued growth from the young guys.

I just wish we could have landed a PJ Tucker or Paul Milsap as our starting 4, even if those guys only played 20 MPG or so. Ed Davis is fine, but he's a pure 5 these days and Naz Reid should rightfully push him for the backup 5 slot.
FNG

Post by FNG »

I'm a huge fan of the deal that brought Rubio back. Like others, there were several players I loved late in the draft, but I've loved late first round/second round players in the past, and more often than not there proves to be a reason my favorites were not lottery picks (yes, I know there are exceptions, but in general my experience with late first rounders...and certainly the wolves' experience...has not been good.) Rubio on the other hand is a veteran with a proven record of improving his teams on both sides of the ball. Shooting challenges to be sure (although improving), but overall a very plus player on offense and defense.

We've also talked about his leadership and positive personal influence on a team. But beyond that- he's just a fun player to watch and cheer for. I've shared season tickets for some time, and some of the joy of going to a game disappeared when Rubio was traded. It's fun to support a guy who brings a certain flair to the court and never takes plays off. Welcome back, Ricky!
thedoper

Post by thedoper »

Ricky was definitely an improvement on talent in our backup PG spot. Based on what I have seen with the contracts going out, you'd think our 17 million and the pick could have gotten us more of an impact in a bigger position of need. I cant see how this team can legitimately say they are committed to winning basketball without some sort of defensive big on the roster. As generous as people are to Ricky's defense here, he isnt going to improve our D. We were routinely bottom of the league in Team D and Opponent's perimeter scoring when Ricky was with us in the past. No amount of wisdom and diving is going to suddenly get him over screens and in front of his man now that he is 30. Unless Okogie, Culver, and Edwards can somehow learn to be Kawhi-like in how they cover the perimeter the guards in the west are going to hand us our lunch this year. Beyond that were going to get torched inside because we're small. After all this troubles of the last 15 years this may be our worst defensive team yet.
KG4Ever

Post by KG4Ever »

I loved the move. Ricky brings passion, energy and a unique skill set that is missing from the roster. I am hopeful that Ricky can help his teammates the way that he helped Booker and Oubre have career years last year. Edwards and Culver need to improve their shot selection and I think with them playing more off the ball with Ricky as the main playmaker, will help them gain confidence. I also think it will help DLO to be a more off the ball player.
Brooklyn_Wolves [enjin:14608167]

Post by Brooklyn_Wolves [enjin:14608167] »

Comparing Lamello to Rubio in terms of making plays and controlling the tempo is like likening Wiggins to Lebron. Mark of a true basketball idiot.

Rubio is still the best Wolves player. He won more games each season he was away from the Wolves than the Wolves, and is 6-3 in games he played vs. the Wolves.
Camden [enjin:6601484]

Post by Camden [enjin:6601484] »

From Jace Frederick of the Pioneer Press:

...a reporter asked Booker this week if playing alongside Rubio made life for the elite scorer easier "at times."

"Easier at times?" Booker asked. "Easier at all times."

"I'll never forget what he's done for my career," Booker said.

I think we all understand what Devin Booker is getting at with these remarks. I thought it was cool to see him respond like that. He sounds very appreciative of his time playing with Ricky Rubio, which is just flat out cool to see. I feel like D'Angelo Russell is on the verge of a big year in Minnesota and Rubio will undoubtedly help him along the way.