Ricky Rubio

Any And All Things T-Wolves Related
Lipoli390

Re: Ricky Rubio

Post by Lipoli390 »

Camden wrote:
BizarroJerry wrote:
Camden0916 wrote:
BizarroJerry wrote:Let's go back to 2013/14. Our best team with Rubio that went 40-42. Love/Brewer/Pek/Martin/Rubio. Pek missed 25 games, Martin about 15.

Love and Rubio played almost every game. Are we better than that team?

Yes, but unfortunately so is the rest of the NBA. There's never been more talent in this league than right now.

Nah. I don't buy that argument. We should do better this year than that team with the #1 overall pick and our two stars.

I don't necessarily disagree, but this team is going to have to come together awfully quick and be coached very well for that to happen.

Remember, Rick Adelman had that team ninth in offensive rating and twelfth in defensive rating -- mainly due to a system/personnel that kept teams off the foul line, created turnovers, and won rebounding margins. I don't see any possible way that this year's team is capable of coming close to that.

I agree, Cam. Replace Saunders with a head coach of Ricky Adelman's caliber and I'd have a much more positive outlook for the Wolves this season. And even with a much better head coach than Ryan, there is still very little time for this young team that hasn't played together very long to come together. I'm convinced that this team has the talent to be a playoff team. But I see time and coaching working against that possibility.
TheFuture

Post by TheFuture »

lipoli390 wrote:
Camden wrote:
BizarroJerry wrote:
Camden0916 wrote:
BizarroJerry wrote:Let's go back to 2013/14. Our best team with Rubio that went 40-42. Love/Brewer/Pek/Martin/Rubio. Pek missed 25 games, Martin about 15.

Yes, but unfortunately so is the rest of the NBA. There's never been more talent in this league than right now.

Nah. I don't buy that argument. We should do better this year than that team with the #1 overall pick and our two stars.

I don't necessarily disagree, but this team is going to have to come together awfully quick and be coached very well for that to happen.

Remember, Rick Adelman had that team ninth in offensive rating and twelfth in defensive rating -- mainly due to a system/personnel that kept teams off the foul line, created turnovers, and won rebounding margins. I don't see any possible way that this year's team is capable of coming close to that.

I agree, Cam. Replace Saunders with a head coach of Ricky Adelman's caliber and I'd have a much more positive outlook for the Wolves this season. And even with a much better head coach than Ryan, there is still very little time for this young team that hasn't played together very long to come together. I'm convinced that this team has the talent to be a playoff team. But I see time and coaching working against that possibility.

I do not understand why Atkinson does not have a job. We should hire him immediately and put Saunders where he belongs, as an assistant guard coach.
Camden [enjin:6601484]

Post by Camden [enjin:6601484] »

lipoli390 wrote:
Camden wrote:
BizarroJerry wrote:
Camden0916 wrote:

That's how I see it too, Lip. Imagine if Kenny Atkinson or Billy Donovan was the head coach for this group -- both of which were available this off-season. I'd feel much, much better about this team moving forward.
TheFuture

Post by TheFuture »

Camden0916 wrote:
lipoli390 wrote:
Camden wrote:
BizarroJerry wrote:
Camden0916 wrote:

That's how I see it too, Lip. Imagine if Kenny Atkinson or Billy Donovan was the head coach for this group -- both of which were available this off-season. I'd feel much, much better about this team moving forward.

Did Kenny get hired? I honestly do not know.

TheFuture wrote:
Camden0916 wrote:
lipoli390 wrote:
Camden wrote:
BizarroJerry wrote:
Camden0916 wrote:

The Clippers hired him to be an assistant coach.
Monster

Post by Monster »

I'd hope Ryan Saunders can channel his success as a Summer league coach because the start of this season might be more like that than a typical season especially for this Wolves group that collectively hasn't played together much. Ok sure that's overstating things somewhat but seriously teams aren't having much time to get ready. In game strategy etc isn't gonna be as high level of concern early on as just getting guys to just play together.
TheFuture

Post by TheFuture »

Camden0916 wrote:
TheFuture wrote:
Camden0916 wrote:
lipoli390 wrote:
Camden wrote:
BizarroJerry wrote:
Camden0916 wrote:

Thanks. How he goes from running that ragtag Nets team to the playoffs to being considered only good enough to be Lue's assistant, a guy who was carried as a coach by one of the best players we have ever seen, is beyond me.

TheFuture wrote:
Camden0916 wrote:
TheFuture wrote:
Camden0916 wrote:
lipoli390 wrote:
Camden wrote:
BizarroJerry wrote:
Camden0916 wrote:

Thanks. How he goes from running that ragtag Nets team to the playoffs to being considered only good enough to be Lue's assistant, a guy who was carried as a coach by one of the best players we have ever seen, is beyond me.

I don't see it that way, to be honest. I think he's probably a very respected head coach throughout the league and likely had offers on the table this summer, but turned them down because they weren't the right fit or he was holding out for better. So, he'll be a top assistant on a championship contender and then revisit the market next year where there will likely be more openings... maybe Minnesota will be one if new ownership takes over?
Lipoli390

Post by Lipoli390 »

Camden wrote:
TheFuture wrote:
Camden0916 wrote:
TheFuture wrote:
Camden0916 wrote:
lipoli390 wrote:
Camden wrote:
BizarroJerry wrote:
Camden0916 wrote:

I don't see it that way, to be honest. I think he's probably a very respected head coach throughout the league and likely had offers on the table this summer, but turned them down because they weren't the right fit or he was holding out for better. So, he'll be a top assistant on a championship contender and then revisit the market next year where there will likely be more openings... maybe Minnesota will be one if new ownership takes over?

I like that thought, Cam. I agree that Kenny probably I took the assistant coaching opportunity that he thought would best position himself for an attractive head coaching opportunity next season. This is going to be a weird season with fewer games, no fans in arenas and any number of issues associated with positive Covid tests. So it doesn't seem like an optimal time to start a new head coaching gig. The Wolves should be under new ownership by next summer. With KAT, DLO and Ricky here, along with some of the role players like Layman, this team certainly has the potential to be a good team this season. And if either Culver or Edwards shows this season the sort of promise justified by their talent, then this team could be an attractive head coaching opportunity for a guy like Kenny.
TheFuture

Post by TheFuture »

Camden0916 wrote:
TheFuture wrote:
Camden0916 wrote:
TheFuture wrote:
Camden0916 wrote:
lipoli390 wrote:
Camden wrote:
BizarroJerry wrote:
Camden0916 wrote:

That is a fair way to look at it. I definitely hope Saunders delivers this season, I just do not expect it. I hate Glen, hate the idea of new ownership, I just pray for the team to stay in MN.