Brent Rooker Watch

A place for Twinscentric Discussion
bleedspeed

Re: Brent Rooker Watch

Post by bleedspeed »

Interesting from ESPN Insider

Picks I liked the least

Minnesota: Trevor Larnach, OF, Oregon State

Larnach had a solid spring, hitting .327/.455/.626 with 17 homers, albeit with 53 strikeouts, and scouts raised concerns about his apparent reluctance to pull the ball. (I concede that could cut both ways, as we also really ding players who try too hard to pull the ball and practically beg them to hit to the opposite field.) The Larnach pick is a big bet on his power, though, as his hit tool isn't great and he's limited to an outfield corner. Again, as with Groshans, this isn't some outrageous reach -- there really weren't any of those in the first round.

SOURCE
http://www.espn.com/blog/keith-law/insider/post?id=8429
Jester1534

Post by Jester1534 »

Brent Rooker update...

The last month he's batting .303 with 7 home runs and OPS .933. Definitely on pace to be a September call up this year.
bleedspeed

Post by bleedspeed »

jester1534 wrote:Brent Rooker update...

The last month he's batting .303 with 7 home runs and OPS .933. Definitely on pace to be a September call up this year.

Do you think he is a better prospect then the guy we drafted this year?
Jester1534

Post by Jester1534 »

bleedspeed177 wrote:

I don't know a whole heck of a lot of the guy we drafted this year, but there kind of the same type of player, but I like Rooker better. I just hope he keeps improving and doesn't stall out eventually he's an older guy so the time window on him is shorter.
Monster

Post by Monster »

jester1534 wrote:
bleedspeed177 wrote:

I don't know a whole heck of a lot of the guy we drafted this year, but there kind of the same type of player, but I like Rooker better. I just hope he keeps improving and doesn't stall out eventually he's an older guy so the time window on him is shorter.

Larnach had another nice day as OSU hammered their way past Mississippi state. A guy I work with went to the game Wednesday night against UNC and was disappointed to see his favorite team lose partly at the hands of Larnach. I may try and go to a game depending on if I have time and how much the prices for tickets are.
bleedspeed

Post by bleedspeed »

Good to hear. It will be interesting how he handles the minors.
JasonIsDaMan [enjin:7981157]

Post by JasonIsDaMan [enjin:7981157] »

According to Baseball reference, he has not played 3rd as a pro. And he finished with a .798 OPS, so whatever start he got off to faded. I think Luke Raley will make a better pro.

I got a solution for 3rd. I'll go into it some Sunday afternoon during a Vikes game.
Jester1534

Post by Jester1534 »

JasonIsDaMan wrote:According to Baseball reference, he has not played 3rd as a pro. And he finished with a .798 OPS, so whatever start he got off to faded. I think Luke Raley will make a better pro.

I got a solution for 3rd. I'll go into it some Sunday afternoon during a Vikes game.

Yeah Rooker had real bad last month of the year. I wonder if he was injured because he had like 1000+ ops in June. I'm a big Rooker guy but one problem with him is he's older already 23 years old. He can't afford to schuffle in the minors. I still believe in him but he could turn out to be a Michael Restovich type player.
bleedspeed

Post by bleedspeed »

Funny you bring up Michael Restovich. I used to work out at the same gym as his brother George and used to spot him from time to time.