Beasley gets paid by the Wolves

Any And All Things T-Wolves Related
Lipoli390

Re: Beasley gets paid by the Wolves

Post by Lipoli390 »

monsterpile wrote:
lipoli390 wrote:
monsterpile wrote:
thedoper wrote:Im surprised at the negativity. The extra year at 15 per seems pretty good for a shooter. Hes going to get some nice clean looks with Ricky. We do need size but the MLE plus another trade should get us there.

If he didn't have the legal issues I'd be ok with it to some extent especially the way some guys have been getting paid but this is ridiculous. It felt like we bid against nobody.

That's pretty much the way I feel, Monster. I'd also feel better about signing Beasley if we had drafted Wiseman or Okongwu to help defensively and better balance the roster. Nevertheless, looking at the FA contracts getting doled out tonight, I can't say the Beasley deal is out of whack with the marketplace. The problem thought, is that it doesn't look like the Wolves allowed he market to set a price for him. Maybe Rosas had some credible information that another team, perhaps the Knicks, were going to offer more. But if that were the case, wouldn't Beasley's agent also know? And if so, why would he agree to this deal?

I agree to some extent Beasley's deal might be what the market states is his value in this offseason. Dane Moore Tweeted that the Knicks were actually looking to make a similar offer so... The thing is Dieng's deal was in line With other guys that got paid that offseason. That didn't make it a good deal. Beasley's deal feels a lot like that. This front office didn't make a smart decision IMO on the Beasley contract. There is gonna be some guard that might end up being as good as Beasley that gets half or a 3rd as much money after everything settles. 3 years with the team option for the 4th year does help because if you have to dump him at least you may be able to use him as salty relief a couple years down the road and if Malik somehow is the real deal they will have him locked in for 4 years. I just have a hard time believing in Malik based on the info we now have and he isn't some proven guy on the court either. He is an aspiring guy that's really a bench player (33 career starts 14 of those with the Wolves).

I'd be interested to know what the Knicks would have been willing to give up in a sign and trade. What did the Wolves pass up? What was another opportunity cost there?

I agree, Monster. As you know, I've been pretty high on Beasley since he came here. But my thinking has changed with the revelations that show him to be truly depraved. My thinking further changed when the Wolves drafted Edwards and traded for Ricky. Re-signing Beasley makes considerably less sense tome than it did 6 months ago. You also raise a good question about the opportunity costs, i.e., what did the Wolves pass up and what were the Knicks willing to give up in a sign-and-trade? I think the Knicks would have swapped Randle for Beasley, Spellman and Evans. That would have helped better balance the Wolves roster and it would have also cleared two roster spots. The payroll impact would have been about the same.
Camden [enjin:6601484]

Post by Camden [enjin:6601484] »

mrhockey89 wrote:
Camden wrote:Well, at least there's a few of you enjoying this off-season. I'm glad somebody is.

I think I'd understand the widespread pessimism a bit more if the Wolves went against conventional wisdom in a major way in any of their moves. Even if we like Wiseman, he wasn't as obvious of prospect as either of last year's top 2. Even if we dislike the mid/late 1sts, all players at that point are a gamble as it is (or they wouldn't have lasted to that point). Even if we think Beasley got overpaid, we needed shooting if our intent is to ditch the mid-range.

It may not be everyone's ideal offseason, but nothing the Wolves have done, in my opinion, can be viewed as shocking.

I guess that depends on how you evaluate talent, value, cost, and team building. In your view, the Wolves are getting fair or adequate returns for the assets they're using. You're also not phased by the roster makeup it seems. That's not the case with a handful or so of us here.

For some of us, the Wolves have missed at every turn so far. The top pick wasn't as obvious as a Zion Williamson or Ja Morant only because James Wiseman's season was cut short. The prospect pedigree and overall physical profile was comparable, though. Wiseman is what a top pick looks like. The Wolves went in a different direction. We're all fans here and we'll all root for Anthony Edwards to be successful, but there are fans who feel like they just blew that pick. That is more than enough reason for the disappointment.

The rest of my feelings are well-documented in this thread or another, but the overall feeling is that resources are being wasted or not maximized. That's troubling. That's the cause for mass disappointment.

Obviously, this is a "wait and see" league, but we're making our judgements how we see them in the now.
mrhockey89

Post by mrhockey89 »

Camden wrote:
mrhockey89 wrote:
Camden wrote:Well, at least there's a few of you enjoying this off-season. I'm glad somebody is.

I think I'd understand the widespread pessimism a bit more if the Wolves went against conventional wisdom in a major way in any of their moves. Even if we like Wiseman, he wasn't as obvious of prospect as either of last year's top 2. Even if we dislike the mid/late 1sts, all players at that point are a gamble as it is (or they wouldn't have lasted to that point). Even if we think Beasley got overpaid, we needed shooting if our intent is to ditch the mid-range.

It may not be everyone's ideal offseason, but nothing the Wolves have done, in my opinion, can be viewed as shocking.

I guess that depends on how you evaluate talent, value, cost, and team building. In your view, the Wolves are getting fair or adequate returns for the assets they're using. You're also not phased by the roster makeup it seems. That's not the case with a handful or so of us here.

For some of us, the Wolves have missed at every turn so far. The top pick wasn't as obvious as a Zion Williamson or Ja Morant only because James Wiseman's season was cut short. The prospect pedigree and overall physical profile was comparable, though. Wiseman is what a top pick looks like. The Wolves went in a different direction. We're all fans here and we'll all root for Anthony Edwards to be successful, but there are fans who feel like they just blew that pick. That is more than enough reason for the disappointment.

The rest of my feelings are well-documented in this thread or another, but the overall feeling is that resources are being wasted or not maximized. That's troubling. That's the cause for mass disappointment.

Obviously, this is a "wait and see" league, but we're making our judgements how we see them in the now.

Cam, I'm not sure if you paid attention to my feelings on Wiseman, but I was always lock-step with you on the "if Wiseman played a full season he would have been the clear cut #1" from months ago. I was very much hoping they'd take Wiseman. With that said, there are also players that break out in the tourney...not sure if UGA had any chance of making the tourney, but guys like Derrick Rose come to mind. Could/would Edwards rise to that challenge? We will never know.

Wiseman does have the look of a stud to me, however I also think that it's easier to draft a defensive stopper at C late than it is any other position, and it's arguably the least valued position in NBA basketball. As I mentioned in this thread or another, Paul Pierce was talking about Edwards vs Wiseman the other day and his take was that he thinks Wiseman will be a good player in this league, but that superstar perimeter player is much more important than a superstar interior player...and I can't really disagree. I agree with you that Edwards is a longer shot than Wiseman. But I'll say this, if both become stars, I think Edwards would be the preferred positional superstar.

You also mentioned being worried about roster make-up. The reason I'm not phased by it is because, while I understand we have an unbalanced roster, I think some of that is relieved by the fact we're going small at the 3 (so it's not quite as guard stacked as it would otherwise seem), and the other part is that I believe Rosas can, and will, make further trades as needed in the future. This team isn't competing for a title in 2020, and every one of our PG/SG/SFs is a positive asset right now.
Lipoli390

Post by Lipoli390 »

Camden wrote:
mrhockey89 wrote:

That's my thinking exactly. I'll just add two thoughts. First, although Edwards was generally regarded as a top 3 pick and has tremendous physical abilities, his red flags were as obvious as I've even seen in a highly touted draft pick. Second, look at who the Warriors picked. They've earned a lot of respect for the draft decisions they've made over the years. The fact that they took Wiseman, and were expected to take him, is telling. I'd bet a lot of money that, if the Wolves had taken Wiseman, the Warriors would NOT have taken Edwards or Ball except as part of a prearranged deal to swap him for someone else.
WildWolf2813

Post by WildWolf2813 »

lipoli390 wrote:
monsterpile wrote:
lipoli390 wrote:
monsterpile wrote:
thedoper wrote:Im surprised at the negativity. The extra year at 15 per seems pretty good for a shooter. Hes going to get some nice clean looks with Ricky. We do need size but the MLE plus another trade should get us there.

If he didn't have the legal issues I'd be ok with it to some extent especially the way some guys have been getting paid but this is ridiculous. It felt like we bid against nobody.

That's pretty much the way I feel, Monster. I'd also feel better about signing Beasley if we had drafted Wiseman or Okongwu to help defensively and better balance the roster. Nevertheless, looking at the FA contracts getting doled out tonight, I can't say the Beasley deal is out of whack with the marketplace. The problem thought, is that it doesn't look like the Wolves allowed he market to set a price for him. Maybe Rosas had some credible information that another team, perhaps the Knicks, were going to offer more. But if that were the case, wouldn't Beasley's agent also know? And if so, why would he agree to this deal?

I agree to some extent Beasley's deal might be what the market states is his value in this offseason. Dane Moore Tweeted that the Knicks were actually looking to make a similar offer so... The thing is Dieng's deal was in line With other guys that got paid that offseason. That didn't make it a good deal. Beasley's deal feels a lot like that. This front office didn't make a smart decision IMO on the Beasley contract. There is gonna be some guard that might end up being as good as Beasley that gets half or a 3rd as much money after everything settles. 3 years with the team option for the 4th year does help because if you have to dump him at least you may be able to use him as salty relief a couple years down the road and if Malik somehow is the real deal they will have him locked in for 4 years. I just have a hard time believing in Malik based on the info we now have and he isn't some proven guy on the court either. He is an aspiring guy that's really a bench player (33 career starts 14 of those with the Wolves).

I'd be interested to know what the Knicks would have been willing to give up in a sign and trade. What did the Wolves pass up? What was another opportunity cost there?

I agree, Monster. As you know, I've been pretty high on Beasley since he came here. But my thinking has changed with the revelations that show him to be truly depraved. My thinking further changed when the Wolves drafted Edwards and traded for Ricky. Re-signing Beasley makes considerably less sense tome than it did 6 months ago. You also raise a good question about the opportunity costs, i.e., what did the Wolves pass up and what were the Knicks willing to give up in a sign-and-trade? I think the Knicks would have swapped Randle for Beasley, Spellman and Evans. That would have helped better balance the Wolves roster and it would have also cleared two roster spots. The payroll impact would have been about the same.

Only one problem: Randle sucks. As someone who watches plenty of Knicks basketball, their fans can't wait to get rid of him.
khans2k5 [enjin:6608728]

Post by khans2k5 [enjin:6608728] »

I don't think going this small with Towns as your only big to rebound is going to go well at all in the Western Conference. As is I think this team is fighting for 10th and if there are any issues with Towns the season is just chalked. Too many one way players. The minutes are just gonna be awkward and will take a long time to find the right combination with this many guys playing similar roles. I'm trying real hard to think of the right combinations that are going to make this team good on a consistent basis and the only thing I can come up with is if Edwards comes in and is a go-to scorer in a way that we have 3 guys we can rely on to fill that role on a nightly basis. That's about my only point of potential optimism with this team right now. If we're closing games out with Russell/Beasley/Edwards/Juan/Towns I just don't know how they stop anyone.
Wolvesfan21

Post by Wolvesfan21 »

I say we play 4 guards with KAT. Screw defense.

DLO
Edwards
Beasley
Culver
KAT
apollotsg [enjin:6592798]

Post by apollotsg [enjin:6592798] »

If they somehow did a Gobert for Edwards+Culver+filler then all of this makes perfect sense. Rubio, DLO, Beasley Towns and Gobert would be a pretty interesting lineup.
Monster

Post by Monster »

WildWolf2813 wrote:
lipoli390 wrote:
monsterpile wrote:
lipoli390 wrote:
monsterpile wrote:

Only one problem: Randle sucks. As someone who watches plenty of Knicks basketball, their fans can't wait to get rid of him.

Personally if I was letting Beasley go I would likely want to simply move him to a team where I didn't get any salary back And get some sort of moderate draft compensation. I like Randle (Others don't) but I might rather be able to sign someone else (Randle is kinda pricey) for cheaper. Not all these sorta decent FA are gonna get overpaid. A roster spot has value too.
Camden [enjin:6601484]

Post by Camden [enjin:6601484] »

khans2k5 wrote:I don't think going this small with Towns as your only big to rebound is going to go well at all in the Western Conference. As is I think this team is fighting for 10th and if there are any issues with Towns the season is just chalked. Too many one way players. The minutes are just gonna be awkward and will take a long time to find the right combination with this many guys playing similar roles. I'm trying real hard to think of the right combinations that are going to make this team good on a consistent basis and the only thing I can come up with is if Edwards comes in and is a go-to scorer in a way that we have 3 guys we can rely on to fill that role on a nightly basis. That's about my only point of potential optimism with this team right now. If we're closing games out with Russell/Beasley/Edwards/Juan/Towns I just don't know how they stop anyone.

I just think it's amusing how this front office pounds the table over analytics and being forward-thinking, but they're intentionally ignoring that rebounding differential, rim protection, points in the paint, and second chance points are all areas that make a big difference in winning games and this team is going to be awful at them. We're basically rolling out undersized players at every position besides center and conceding those categories. The whole "pace and space" concept doesn't work like Gersson Rosas wants it to if you're constantly getting out-rebounded and taking the ball from out of bounds because the opposition just scored.