WolvesFan21 wrote:
monsterpile wrote:
WolvesFan21 wrote:
TheFuture wrote:
AbeVigodaLive wrote:
monsterpile wrote:
WolvesFan21 wrote:
BizarroJerry wrote:
Camden0916 wrote:I can't really defend Malik Beasley for any of his off-court antics -- nor would I want to -- but on the positive side he has been working out pretty early daily as well as keeping it loose with the rest of the Wolves players. He's been in contact regularly with everyone from D-Lo, KAT, Hernangomez, to Rubio and Vanderbilt, and even the new guy Ashton Hagans was at his place the other day.

They're going to his house? Isn't that dangerous?

If Beasley invited you to dinner at his home would you go?

It's an easy no but that's because of COVID. Lol

Well... he does wear a mask... even if he wears it incorrectly.

Covid is horseshit anyway, so I don't care at all about that. Nothing but a political tool.

It is serious if you are in poor health like KAT's Mom. I don't think he would say it's a "horseshit". I know several people who have had confirmed cases and the symptoms were mostly mild however.

A few weeks ago I was watching an old Simpsons episode and it was really eery. In the episode they had all the media conglomerates in a room having a discussion on how to boost ratings. The proposal was to create a virus and create a pandemic!

Knowing the psychopaths in charge I would place the odds on the virus being created/spread somehow my man as 50-50. Would people really kill and make people sick just to make money? Yes they would. Their are also lots of "benefits" for the pandemic besides a boost in ratings for the media. Depopulation which is wanted by guys like psychopath Ted Turner (owner of CNN and TNT). Depopulation also kills off old people on the GOV dime. It also stops most from meeting/dating new people in general. I bet the birthrate is about to crash and get some people like Turner towards his goals.

What losses might the media as a whole have because of the pandemic?

They certainly are gaining viewers in droves. Trust in media was at an all-time low. A large portion of the population knows that fake news isn't just opinionated, it's flat out fictional to start with. When people start figuring out the game they certainly needed a play to get eyeballs. They've succeeded immensely wether they were part of a nefarious machination or not.

That's not an answer to my question.
Monster

Re: Beasley gets paid by the Wolves

Post by Monster »

Volans19 wrote:
Q12543 wrote:My Dad (longtime Wolves season ticket-holder by the way and one of the main reasons I follow this team) just died from Covid not that long ago. While he was no spring chicken, he was in good health, of sound body and mind. You damn well better believe it can be serious and deadly.

As for the man-made/government conspiracy angle, pandemics and viruses in particular have been around forever. They really don't need us men to create them!

(By they way, Ted Turner hasn't had anything to do with CNN or TNT for years, as he sold off his stake in those entities a long time ago. So if he was in on this vast conspiracy to boost ratings and kill off old people - like himself I guess? - then he's certainly missing out on any of the gains).

Sorry to hear about your father Q. My Grandmother is having a hard time with Covid right now. Really irks me that everything has to be a conspiracy now days.

Q I'm sorry for your loss. It wasn't that long ago for me I really didn't know many personally that had contracted COVID now with cases exploding it's everywhere. A family friend had their mother pass away recently due to Covid. She was a nurse.
kekgeek

Post by kekgeek »

Q12543 wrote:My Dad (longtime Wolves season ticket-holder by the way and one of the main reasons I follow this team) just died from Covid not that long ago. While he was no spring chicken, he was in good health, of sound body and mind. You damn well better believe it can be serious and deadly.

As for the man-made/government conspiracy angle, pandemics and viruses in particular have been around forever. They really don't need us men to create them!

(By they way, Ted Turner hasn't had anything to do with CNN or TNT for years, as he sold off his stake in those entities a long time ago. So if he was in on this vast conspiracy to boost ratings and kill off old people - like himself I guess? - then he's certainly missing out on any of the gains).

Sorry for your loss Q
Wolvesfan21

Post by Wolvesfan21 »

monsterpile wrote:
WolvesFan21 wrote:
monsterpile wrote:
WolvesFan21 wrote:
TheFuture wrote:
AbeVigodaLive wrote:
monsterpile wrote:
WolvesFan21 wrote:
BizarroJerry wrote:
Camden0916 wrote:I can't really defend Malik Beasley for any of his off-court antics -- nor would I want to -- but on the positive side he has been working out pretty early daily as well as keeping it loose with the rest of the Wolves players. He's been in contact regularly with everyone from D-Lo, KAT, Hernangomez, to Rubio and Vanderbilt, and even the new guy Ashton Hagans was at his place the other day.

Covid is horseshit anyway, so I don't care at all about that. Nothing but a political tool.

It is serious if you are in poor health like KAT's Mom. I don't think he would say it's a "horseshit". I know several people who have had confirmed cases and the symptoms were mostly mild however.

A few weeks ago I was watching an old Simpsons episode and it was really eery. In the episode they had all the media conglomerates in a room having a discussion on how to boost ratings. The proposal was to create a virus and create a pandemic!

Knowing the psychopaths in charge I would place the odds on the virus being created/spread somehow my man as 50-50. Would people really kill and make people sick just to make money? Yes they would. Their are also lots of "benefits" for the pandemic besides a boost in ratings for the media. Depopulation which is wanted by guys like psychopath Ted Turner (owner of CNN and TNT). Depopulation also kills off old people on the GOV dime. It also stops most from meeting/dating new people in general. I bet the birthrate is about to crash and get some people like Turner towards his goals.

They certainly are gaining viewers in droves. Trust in media was at an all-time low. A large portion of the population knows that fake news isn't just opinionated, it's flat out fictional to start with. When people start figuring out the game they certainly needed a play to get eyeballs. They've succeeded immensely wether they were part of a nefarious machination or not.

The media has only gained from COVID.
Wolvesfan21

Post by Wolvesfan21 »

I wonder if their are two strains of COVID that are very similar so they show up on both tests. One has mild to no symptoms and the other is much more severe. I hear about football teams with 20-30 players and coaches with it and all show little or no signs of being sick.
Monster

Post by Monster »

WolvesFan21 wrote:
monsterpile wrote:
WolvesFan21 wrote:
monsterpile wrote:
WolvesFan21 wrote:
TheFuture wrote:
AbeVigodaLive wrote:
monsterpile wrote:
WolvesFan21 wrote:
BizarroJerry wrote:

The media has only gained from COVID.

Really? You think they haven't lost money because sports events simply didn't happen in some cases?
thedoper

Post by thedoper »

Sorry for your loss. This virus sucks. Stay safe people.
SameOldNudityDrew

Post by SameOldNudityDrew »

Sorry to hear that Q. I'm glad to hear it sounds like you guys had a chance to share an interest in the Wolves. At its best, sports can definitely bring people together.

That is why I don't want to alienate WolvesFan21, TheFuture, and anybody else who raises doubts about or downplays the seriousness of COVID (go back to the March thread on this and you'll see there were at least a couple others early on). I hear your skepticism. There are legitimate reasons for questioning authorities. The CDC changed its recommendations on masks early on. The spring lockdowns in retrospect look like a knee-jerk reaction rather than a carefully scaled response. When Trump downplayed the severity of the illness, Democrats played it up in response, which leaves you wondering who to believe.

But at the end of the day, facts are facts. The reports that hospitals are falsely labeling deaths by COVID to make money can't account for https://ourworldindata.org/excess-mortality-covidthe rates of excess deaths. In fact, if you look at those excess deaths charts, stats show we are actually https://www.economist.com/graphic-detail/2020/07/15/tracking-covid-19-excess-deaths-across-countriesundercounting the number of people who have died due to coronavirus. Some of those people died from other causes, but they died from those other causes because hospitals have been so full of people very sick with COVID, many of whom died from it. So the pandemic has not only directly killed people through the virus itself, but the saturation of health care systems worldwide has also had an indirect affect on mortality too.

I'm not sure if that's the explanation for the kind of study you mentioned, Future. But if it's true there were a Johns Hopkins study like the one you describe that was pulled, it probably wasn't for nefarious reasons, but because peer review determined it was not verifiable or misleading. Alternatively, and sadly likely, what you heard about a study indicating that deaths were down due to other causes (suggesting over reporting of COVID deaths) was likely an example of the kind of https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/covid-misinformation-is-killing-people1/misinformation that has spread online since the pandemic. There have been a ton of studies that indicate that the pandemic has prompted the largest outpouring of misinformation in history, some of it exaggerating it, some of it peddling false cures, but the vast majority of it has downplayed the pandemic or claimed it was some sort of conspiracy or caused by some crazy shit like 5G networks. Some of this misinformation may be based on some kernel of truth, but it been spun out to the point of full-blown conspiracy theories. None of it is helpful.

Authorities have made mistakes. But that's much more likely because we're dealing with something for the first time than because they have no idea what they are doing at all or are covering something up. When the CDC at first said not to buy masks, it wasn't mostly because they wanted to keep the supply for medical workers available. In the U.S., authorities have been too quick to shut down schools (and not quick enough to shut down bars and restaurants). I teach in a school in Germany, and we've been open all fall with only 3 cases--but that's also because Germany has kept rates low by enforcing smarter lockdowns of indoor restaurants and bars, mandating--yes, totally mandating--masks in all public places, and because in our school we follow those rules--all with masks, socially distanced, windows open. Plus Germans largely follow those rules and don't see them as some sort of crazy infringement on their liberty. The countries that have dealt with this crisis best have treated steps as a sort of throttle, slowly up and down as needed. They've also made careful decisions about cost-benefit analysis to decide which measures are best to take. This is why Germany has kept schools open--because it's so important and the risk relatively lower if everybody follows certain relatively stringent practices in school--but shut down most restaurants, bars, and indoor social gatherings. That's the kind of data-based conversation we should be having. The U.S. does seem to be getting better at it. New York City opened schools back up and that makes sense. There have been smarter rules about masks (IMO, these should really be mandated--there's no health or economic reason not to do so until the vaccine gets us to herd immunity) and closing places where large numbers of people gather in small spaces indoors. There's room to disagree on certain steps. But suggesting that deaths are exaggerated or worse, that there's some kind of conspiracy behind it all, just isn't supported by reality.

My great uncle, who was basically like my grandpa, died a couple weeks ago in St. Paul. Then my dad's cousin a week later, also in St. Paul. This week I heard my step-mother's mom (my step-grandma) got it in Fargo. Of course I'm unhappy about these things, and I can empathize with Q and others who've lost loved ones. At the same time, even if you set that aside and just focus on the situation honestly and completely, it's clear that it's a real and serious pandemic that requires serious measures. We should be talking reasonably about how to deal with it, and remembering those we've lost, rather than casting doubt on reality.
Camden [enjin:6601484]

Post by Camden [enjin:6601484] »

WolvesFan21 wrote:I wonder if their are two strains of COVID that are very similar so they show up on both tests. One has mild to no symptoms and the other is much more severe. I hear about football teams with 20-30 players and coaches with it and all show little or no signs of being sick.

You're aware that coronavirus itself has been around for many, many years -- more commonly known as the cold, right? The 2020 version of the coronavirus is a different strain that is more dangerous to elderly and those with underlying conditions. I believe you can have either strain and test positive on most coronavirus tests. That's why you see people that have very different experiences with it.
AbeVigodaLive

Post by AbeVigodaLive »

SameOldNudityDrew wrote:

Sorry to hear that Q. I'm glad to hear it sounds like you guys had a chance to share an interest in the Wolves. At its best, sports can definitely bring people together.

That is why I don't want to alienate WolvesFan21, TheFuture, and anybody else who raises doubts about or downplays the seriousness of COVID (go back to the March thread on this and you'll see there were at least a couple others early on). I hear your skepticism. There are legitimate reasons for questioning authorities. The CDC changed its recommendations on masks early on. The spring lockdowns in retrospect look like a knee-jerk reaction rather than a carefully scaled response. When Trump downplayed the severity of the illness, Democrats played it up in response, which leaves you wondering who to believe.

But at the end of the day, facts are facts. The reports that hospitals are falsely labeling deaths by COVID to make money can't account for https://ourworldindata.org/excess-mortality-covidthe rates of excess deaths. In fact, if you look at those excess deaths charts, stats show we are actually https://www.economist.com/graphic-detail/2020/07/15/tracking-covid-19-excess-deaths-across-countriesundercounting the number of people who have died due to coronavirus. Some of those people died from other causes, but they died from those other causes because hospitals have been so full of people very sick with COVID, many of whom died from it. So the pandemic has not only directly killed people through the virus itself, but the saturation of health care systems worldwide has also had an indirect affect on mortality too.

I'm not sure if that's the explanation for the kind of study you mentioned, Future. But if it's true there were a Johns Hopkins study like the one you describe that was pulled, it probably wasn't for nefarious reasons, but because peer review determined it was not verifiable or misleading. Alternatively, and sadly likely, what you heard about a study indicating that deaths were down due to other causes (suggesting over reporting of COVID deaths) was likely an example of the kind of https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/covid-misinformation-is-killing-people1/misinformation that has spread online since the pandemic. There have been a ton of studies that indicate that the pandemic has prompted the largest outpouring of misinformation in history, some of it exaggerating it, some of it peddling false cures, but the vast majority of it has downplayed the pandemic or claimed it was some sort of conspiracy or caused by some crazy shit like 5G networks. Some of this misinformation may be based on some kernel of truth, but it been spun out to the point of full-blown conspiracy theories. None of it is helpful.

Authorities have made mistakes. But that's much more likely because we're dealing with something for the first time than because they have no idea what they are doing at all or are covering something up. When the CDC at first said not to buy masks, it wasn't mostly because they wanted to keep the supply for medical workers available. In the U.S., authorities have been too quick to shut down schools (and not quick enough to shut down bars and restaurants). I teach in a school in Germany, and we've been open all fall with only 3 cases--but that's also because Germany has kept rates low by enforcing smarter lockdowns of indoor restaurants and bars, mandating--yes, totally mandating--masks in all public places, and because in our school we follow those rules--all with masks, socially distanced, windows open. Plus Germans largely follow those rules and don't see them as some sort of crazy infringement on their liberty. The countries that have dealt with this crisis best have treated steps as a sort of throttle, slowly up and down as needed. They've also made careful decisions about cost-benefit analysis to decide which measures are best to take. This is why Germany has kept schools open--because it's so important and the risk relatively lower if everybody follows certain relatively stringent practices in school--but shut down most restaurants, bars, and indoor social gatherings. That's the kind of data-based conversation we should be having. The U.S. does seem to be getting better at it. New York City opened schools back up and that makes sense. There have been smarter rules about masks (IMO, these should really be mandated--there's no health or economic reason not to do so until the vaccine gets us to herd immunity) and closing places where large numbers of people gather in small spaces indoors. There's room to disagree on certain steps. But suggesting that deaths are exaggerated or worse, that there's some kind of conspiracy behind it all, just isn't supported by reality.

My great uncle, who was basically like my grandpa, died a couple weeks ago in St. Paul. Then my dad's cousin a week later, also in St. Paul. This week I heard my step-mother's mom (my step-grandma) got it in Fargo. Of course I'm unhappy about these things, and I can empathize with Q and others who've lost loved ones. At the same time, even if you set that aside and just focus on the situation honestly and completely, it's clear that it's a real and serious pandemic that requires serious measures. We should be talking reasonably about how to deal with it, and remembering those we've lost, rather than casting doubt on reality.

I read all that. And I'm glad I did.

Sorry for your loss, too.