Booker is the plan

Any And All Things T-Wolves Related
Monster

Re: Booker is the plan

Post by Monster »

BizarroJerry wrote:So the pRosas is to build around a Slam magazine story?

It's better than building a team around a Better Homes and Gardens story.
bleedspeed177 [enjin:6603232]

Post by bleedspeed177 [enjin:6603232] »

sjm34 wrote:
PLAYOFFS, PLAYOFFS!!!

Ha!!
BizarroJerry [enjin:6592520]

Post by BizarroJerry [enjin:6592520] »

monsterpile wrote:
BizarroJerry wrote:So the pRosas is to build around a Slam magazine story?

It's better than building a team around a Better Homes and Gardens story.

Haha. I think some nice evergreens planted outside TC would bring in lots of new fans.
D-Mac [enjin:19736340]

Post by D-Mac [enjin:19736340] »

CoolBreeze44 wrote:I like Booker the best of the 3. It would be a lot of fun most nights. But not sure how many playoff victories it would translate into. I suspect not many.

I like him the best of the three also. I'd be absolutely fine if they still traded Russell and kat this offseason still. Even with booker we're a first round exit. I've seen enough of kat to know that.
crazy-canuck [enjin:18955461]

Post by crazy-canuck [enjin:18955461] »

Drunken Dribbler 22 wrote:
CoolBreeze44 wrote:I like Booker the best of the 3. It would be a lot of fun most nights. But not sure how many playoff victories it would translate into. I suspect not many.

I like him the best of the three also. I'd be absolutely fine if they still traded Russell and kat this offseason still. Even with booker we're a first round exit. I've seen enough of kat to know that.

Yeah, i cant see the suns giving up booker fir anything the wolves have. Dlo was a much easier get because no one else wanted him and he was clashing heads with gsw on and off the court.
Lipoli390

Post by Lipoli390 »

If the Suns covet someone in the draft and need to Wolves pick to get him, then I could see a Booker deal happening. Of course, there would have to be some maneuvering to match salaries or create salary space to absorb Booker's contract. And the Wolves would likely have to give up some young talent as well, which would probably include one or more of the following: Culver, Okogie, Naz, Nowell.

But I don't see a realistic scenario that lands Booker here. In any event, I'd rather see Rosas re-sign Beasley and shore up the team's interior defense through the draft or by trade.
bleedspeed177 [enjin:6603232]

Post by bleedspeed177 [enjin:6603232] »

It would have to be a draft-day trade and we give up both firsts and then trade them out 2023 & 2025 first-rounders. We would build the team with guys coming off rookie contracts that didn't pan out.
Q12543 [enjin:6621299]

Post by Q12543 [enjin:6621299] »

Booker would be a big get, but feels like too much of a good thing. We've seen other iterations of 20 PPG+ one-way trios - Chambers/Ellis/McDaniel of the late 80s and Richmond/Mullin/Hardaway just after them. Both of those teams were - you guessed it - lacking in defense, which limited their playoff success.

I tend to agree that, in theory, the best course of action would be to get as much as we can for KAT and DLO. KAT especially would yield significant assets back. But no way are Taylor, Rosas and Co. going to throw in the towel this soon.

I think it's still possible to build a competitive team around KAT and DLO, but you really need a bunch of rangy 3&D wings around those guys. In other words, the same kind of role player that every single team in the league covets. Not easy to find and we let go of the one guy that can fill that role (RoCo).
Monster

Post by Monster »

Q12543 wrote:Booker would be a big get, but feels like too much of a good thing. We've seen other iterations of 20 PPG+ one-way trios - Chambers/Ellis/McDaniel of the late 80s and Richmond/Mullin/Hardaway just after them. Both of those teams were - you guessed it - lacking in defense, which limited their playoff success.

I tend to agree that, in theory, the best course of action would be to get as much as we can for KAT and DLO. KAT especially would yield significant assets back. But no way are Taylor, Rosas and Co. going to throw in the towel this soon.

I think it's still possible to build a competitive team around KAT and DLO, but you really need a bunch of rangy 3&D wings around those guys. In other words, the same kind of role player that every single team in the league covets. Not easy to find and we let go of the one guy that can fill that role (RoCo).

I'm curious to see how both the Suns and the Wolves finish in defensive ranking for the season and who ends up playing the minutes that figure into the rankings. Last year the Suns were the 2nd worst team in teams of defensive rating and the Wolves 24th. Now the Suns are 19th and Wolves 17th. Booker has only missed one game so far after missing 18 last year. Someone mentioned in this thread that Beal is a bad defender. I'm not sure that's actually the case now. Maybe it's possible Booker moves towards being solid on that end. If DLO and Towns play a majority of the games the rest of the season it will be interesting to see how the D looks and how it fares statistically. It's also possible that some of the players acquired in the trades help as well. There will be plenty to digest through the rest of the season and I am looking forward to it.
kekgeek

Post by kekgeek »

Im all in on the Booker thing. I don't even know if it would work but I just think it is really hard to add talent in Minnesota.

Here are why I want to add Booker.

Wolves would have 3 All Stars under the age of 25, with team control of all of them for 3 years starting next year (4 years with Booker and Towns)

If/when the Wolves sign Beasley that eliminates wolves for ever becoming a player in free agency, not saying they would get a good player but it officially eliminates it financially wise.

Other ways the wolves can add talent is via the draft but Wolves won't have a pick in 2021, so Wolves would draft 3 rookies in this 2020 draft and then wouldn't have a pick until 2022 so going into the 2nd to last year of Russell deal would be the only other chance to add higher end talent (this is what would happen if the Wolves didn't add Booker)

I also think we need to trust Rosas to add under the radar undrafted guys. McLaughlin and Naz both look like NBA players. Still a wait and see on Martin and Nowell but both seem like they could at least be end of the bench guys in the NBA.

I just think it is really hard for the wolves to add all star level talent. Wolves would have 3 young guys to build around. I don't know if that will work but I am willing to gamble on talent. If it doesn't work all 3 will have value if/when the wolves have to blow it up.

Would the Suns accept Okogie/Culver/Beasley (S + T), Wolves 2020 1st, Nets 2020 1st and lets say Lotto protected Wolves pick in 2024 (the next year the Wolves are allowed to trade a pick).

Wolves build around a lineup of
Russell/McLaughlin (cheap non-guaranteed contract)
Booker/Nowell
Layman/....
Hernangomez (Maybe)/Johnson/Vanderbilt
Towns/Naz

Wolves would still have their 2nd round pick in 2020, their MLE (was able to add Vonleh, Bell, Layman, Naz all with the MLE last year), most likely all picks in 2022 and 2023 including the Heat 2nd round picks.

Im just willing to gamble on talent and hopefully with the MLE, and Rosas ability to find under the radar young talent the Wolves might be able to build something. I think that is a lot easier then building trying to find another star with a pick and still building with limited cap space.