2019-20 NBA Trade Deadline: Wolves Overhaul the Roster

Any And All Things T-Wolves Related
kekgeek

Re: 2019-20 NBA Trade Deadline: Wolves Overhaul the Roster

Post by kekgeek »

Camden wrote:
papalrep wrote:This franchise was dead. From ownership to the front office to the roster to the fan base, this franchise was drowning any way you dissect it.

OPTIMISM! Let's have some! I loved the activity, for the simple reason Cam stated. We were dead.
Cam, what is the plan to bring in Booker?

Frankly, the plan to acquire Devin Booker is, at the moment, dependent on several things.

First, Booker has to make it known to the Phoenix Suns' front office that he wants out. I think another losing season -- along with being ruthlessly snubbed in the All-Star game again, and seeing two of his closest friends paired up in Minnesota -- could be enough to fuel his frustrations to that point. Gersson Rosas should be planning for that this summer, if he hasn't been already.

Secondly, the Wolves will need some ping pong balls to go their way for once. Ideally, they'd end up with the No. 1 overall pick as that is usually one of the best bargaining chips to work with. The acquiring team can target any prospect they so choose as well as market that player as the next best thing. We basically lived through that scenario when the Cleveland Cavaliers won the lottery in 2014. Any way you slice it, the Wolves need to not get jobbed in the lottery.

Thirdly, and perhaps most importantly, the Wolves need the Suns to value some of these young players that Minnesota has accumulated. Whether that's Malik Beasley, Jarrett Culver, Josh Okogie, Naz Reid, Jacob Evans, Omari Spellman, etc. -- they can help with landing another big fish, if you will, but it depends on how Phoenix assesses their value.

Lastly, and this is probably where the Wolves have done relatively well in asset accumulation and hoarding, Minnesota will have to be willing to package several first-round picks together. They own all of their first-round picks for the future except for the 2021 pick that was used to acquire D'Angelo Russell. Due to the protection, I believe that Minnesota cannot trade their 2022 first-round pick either, though I'd have to double-check that. Regardless, they have the picks necessary to make a deal if they are aggressive enough.

Just to answer your question on the draft pick and trading them going forward. We can trade 1 of our 2 2020 draft picks after the season (obviously can trade both on draft night), cannot trade both because of not having 2021 pick (can't trade 1sts in back to back years). Can't trade 2022 1st because we could technically have to trade it. Also can't trade 2023 pick because technically we could lose the 2022 1st meaning we can't trade the 2023 pick because of the back to back rule.

So the next 1st the wolves can trade is their 2024 1st.
kekgeek

Post by kekgeek »

lipoli390 wrote:Great lead post, Cam! Like Q i'm not as bullish as you on DLO. But as I've said in other posts, we're definitely better overall after all these trades than before and DLO specifically is a definite upgrade over Wiggins at least as a fit for this team. I question whether DLO and KAT can be a duo that makes this team a contender long term. But you've provided some important stats that reflect positively on DLO. Time will tell. What will say is that these deals have renewed my interest in this team and have me excited - at least for now. None of us on this board have always been right or wrong. But you have a pretty good track record evaluating talent, so you're take on DLO is something I give considerable weight to. Let's hope this is the beginning of something really exciting here.

Im with you here Lip. Im not super bullish on DLO but it makes sense on why we made this trade. Wolves needed a different direction because the way the Wolves were going with Wiggins and Kat was never going to work. That does not mean DLO and Kat will work but at least it is a different direction. Also puts pressure on KAT. Kat wanted to move heaven and earth to get DLO. The wolves did that now, show up or shut up. All pressure on KAT now, I hope he excells because if he doesn't his time in Minnesota is deservedly over.

I also think we learned a lot about Rosas this trade deadline. He knows how to make a trade. We can argue for days if it was a good trades or bad trades but he flipped the whole roster in 3 days. He can get trades done in a small window. I also think this proves like Morey that Rosas will never be satisfied with what he has. He will always look to make the roster better what could be great. With Rosas never being satisfied I can see him trading DLO if a better player comes along. I was listening to the Dane Moore podcast today and he was like what happens if the 76ers blow up (What could easily happen) would Rosas flip Russell (who is a great fit for the current 76ers team) and the wolves lotto pick for Simmons.

I haven't been the biggest fan of Rosas but I like that he is aggressive and either way he is going down with his vision and not just sitting on his hands praying for slow improvements. He is going to try and go for it.
bleedspeed177 [enjin:6603232]

Post by bleedspeed177 [enjin:6603232] »

Anyone know if that AAU team that Towns and DLO were on ever won anything?
TheGrey08

Post by TheGrey08 »

kekgeek1 wrote:
I also think we learned a lot about Rosas this trade deadline. He knows how to make a trade. We can argue for days if it was a good trades or bad trades but he flipped the whole roster in 3 days. He can get trades done in a small window. I also think this proves like Morey that Rosas will never be satisfied with what he has. He will always look to make the roster better what could be great. With Rosas never being satisfied I can see him trading DLO if a better player comes along. I was listening to the Dane Moore podcast today and he was like what happens if the 76ers blow up (What could easily happen) would Rosas flip Russell (who is a great fit for the current 76ers team) and the wolves lotto pick for Simmons.

I haven't been the biggest fan of Rosas but I like that he is aggressive and either way he is going down with his vision and not just sitting on his hands praying for slow improvements. He is going to try and go for it.

Rosa's also seemed to indicate that not only did he have Russell targeted since last summer, but other guys like Beasley as well (he mentioned having guys targeted and that they now finally got them, not "him", but "them"). It makes it that much more impressive IMO.
TheGrey08

Post by TheGrey08 »

Cam, great post. I'm definitely more hopeful and interested in this new roster and I'm really curious to see KAT and D'Lo in the 2 man game and then seeing what Beasley can do in a featured role. He could surprise us.
crazy-canuck [enjin:18955461]

Post by crazy-canuck [enjin:18955461] »

Well, if getting dlo is going to make kat happy, i hope it translates to the court. Kats childish behavior the last couple if games was waning on me.
BizarroJerry [enjin:6592520]

Post by BizarroJerry [enjin:6592520] »

And I'm interested to see if Omar or Jacob can be serviceable. They were first round picks only last year.
crazy-canuck [enjin:18955461]

Post by crazy-canuck [enjin:18955461] »

Dlo playing vs the clips? Apparently wiggs will be debuting vs Jimmy abd not bron.
Camden [enjin:6601484]

Post by Camden [enjin:6601484] »

TheGrey08 wrote:Cam, great post. I'm definitely more hopeful and interested in this new roster and I'm really curious to see KAT and D'Lo in the 2 man game and then seeing what Beasley can do in a featured role. He could surprise us.

Tonight was a really good start for Beasley, specifically. He looked a lot like the player that the Nuggets had to start last year for 18 games out of necessity. Those numbers were really bonkers too!
TheGrey08

Post by TheGrey08 »

Camden wrote:
TheGrey08 wrote:Cam, great post. I'm definitely more hopeful and interested in this new roster and I'm really curious to see KAT and D'Lo in the 2 man game and then seeing what Beasley can do in a featured role. He could surprise us.

Tonight was a really good start for Beasley, specifically. He looked a lot like the player that the Nuggets had to start last year for 18 games out of necessity. Those numbers were really bonkers too!

Yeah, looking forward to seeing what he does the rest of the season, but damn if he keeps going off how much will he cost haha