Looking forward to 2019 - Twins Fall Offseason Thread

A place for Twinscentric Discussion
Monster

Re: Looking forward to 2019 - Twins Fall Offseason Thread

Post by Monster »

Now that the dust has settled does anyone here wish we had signed Harper or Machado to one of those deals? Stanton got a fleet of Brinks trucks also.
Jester1534

Post by Jester1534 »

monsterpile wrote:Now that the dust has settled does anyone here wish we had signed Harper or Machado to one of those deals? Stanton got a fleet of Brinks trucks also.

Depends do you prefer Gonzales and 38 year old Nelson Cruz or would you rather have Machado. Between Cruz and Gonzales it covers 26mil of the 30 million dollars.
bleedspeed177 [enjin:6603232]

Post by bleedspeed177 [enjin:6603232] »

The length of those contracts kills it in my eyes. When has a 10 year contract ever worked out?
Monster

Post by Monster »

jester1534 wrote:
monsterpile wrote:Now that the dust has settled does anyone here wish we had signed Harper or Machado to one of those deals? Stanton got a fleet of Brinks trucks also.

Depends do you prefer Gonzales and 38 year old Nelson Cruz or would you rather have Machado. Between Cruz and Gonzales it covers 26mil of the 30 million dollars.

Wouldn't signing one of those guys also meaning giving up a draft pick also? Like Bleed the length of contract is kind of a deal breaker for me. On the other hand the deals are probably insured so if one of those guys couldn't play for the last 5 years because of injury it wouldn't be so bad. Personally I would rather have Cruz and Gonzales on short term deals than one of those guys based on where the Twins are right now.

I think Harper's deal is interesting. He basically went for a super longer term guaranteed deal instead of betting on himself and stuff like that. Supposedly there were also tax concerns him getting more money by going to Philly instead of Cali. 10 years from now there will likely be higher salaries and for example Nelson Cruz is banking at least 15 million for the next 2 years (1 million buyout next year) and he is 38. Not everyone keeps playing like you would hope. You just never know. One player that came to mind was Chris Bosh. He is still getting paid but you would have thought he could have a long career much like Pau Gasol still making plenty of money into his late 30's. Nope unforeseen medical issues derailed a good player. Harper basically locking in 10 million a year for what could be his last 3 years seems like a solid plan. If he keeps playing at a high level it could be a heck of a bargain for whatever team has him on their roster by then. That's a long time. Will we finally have hover boards and flying cars? The Cubs did win the World Series so maybe there is still hope.
Jester1534

Post by Jester1534 »

bleedspeed177 wrote:The length of those contracts kills it in my eyes. When has a 10 year contract ever worked out?

A-Rod first contract with Rangers, I would even argue his 2nd with Yankees as well.

Max Scherzer is the best pitcher in the game making 30 mil a year.

Joey Votto is still an allsar 1b he's on a 10 year

Manny Ramirez was on 8 year contract during his Red Sox runs same as Mark Texiara for the yanks.

I guess my point is you have to find the right guy with youth and talent to give 10 year contracts to and I think Machado is that. We're you get in trouble is when you give to a 30 year old Puljos 10 Years.
bleedspeed177 [enjin:6603232]

Post by bleedspeed177 [enjin:6603232] »

Good points. It is so hard for anyone other than a star pitcher to change the game in my opinion.
Monster

Post by Monster »

So I see the Twins ended up getting something for Granite in a series of a couple moves. $50,000 in cash and $750,000 in international bonus money is pretty good return for him IMO. The Twins have done a solid job either having guys stick with the organization or making minor trades. Slegars is the only guy once the offseason got really going that got claimed without compensation. My brother mentioned Felix Jorge but it seems like they weren't exactly really wanting him back. I would think they could have done much worse overall.