Official 2016 Offseasont Thread (Free Agents/Trades/Front Office Moves)

Any And All Things T-Wolves Related
Lipoli390

Re: Official 2016 Offseasont Thread (Free Agents/Trades/Front Office Moves)

Post by Lipoli390 »

My three main personnel recommendations:

1. Draft the best player available this June. We have to hope that Thibs, Layton and our scouting staff have good judgment in that regard. Thankfully, it's not critical given the young talent we already have, but the right pick can help. This will be Thibs' first test as a front office executive.

2. Sign a couple solid role players via free agency. I don't have anyone in mind at the moment.

3. Don't trade any of our core six --Towns, Wiggins, Zach, Ricky, Gorgui and Bazz -- until after next season (or at next February's trade deadline) so they can have a full or at least a half season under Thibs. One of the main reasons I haven't wanted to trade any of our young guys, including Bazz, is that I wanted to first see how they perform and develop under a top head coach. Now that we have someone considered to be one of League's top head coaches, we need to have the patience to see what Thibs can get out of them. We either find they're worth keeping or we will have enhanced their trade value. if Thibs is as good as advertised, then any deal we can get this summer for any of our current roster players isn't as good as the deal we'll be able to get next summer or perhaps next February after their improvement under Thibs.

Not sure what Thibs has in mind, but those would be my recommendations if he asked.
Mstermisty [enjin:6864008]

Post by Mstermisty [enjin:6864008] »

Lip, I think you can safely include Bjelica and Jones in that core, they are both on (relatively) cheap contracts and look like they can help the team. Those 8 players should remain next season for sure, after that "anything is possible."

Also we can't count Pek out. Kander said he would be back full strength by next year. Kander was amazing at his job this season, you can't discount anything he says.
Lipoli390

Post by Lipoli390 »

Mstermisty wrote:Lip, I think you can safely include Bjelica and Jones in that core, they are both on (relatively) cheap contracts and look like they can help the team. Those 8 players should remain next season for sure, after that "anything is possible."

Also we can't count Pek out. Kander said he would be back full strength by next year. Kander was amazing at his job this season, you can't discount anything he says.

Good points, Misty. And your response reminded me to include the retention of Kander as one of the priority personnel moves for this summer. I don't care what it takes. Make him the highest paid trainer in the history of professional sport if that's what it takes.
Mstermisty [enjin:6864008]

Post by Mstermisty [enjin:6864008] »

Agreed, Kander's importance cannot be underestimated. Look at this season. We had a couple early injuries (Ricky) then nothing other than the expected (Pek). It's not a coincidence, Kander is a master at what he does. Pay him whatever it takes to keep him on. He's like the Mr. Miyagi of pro sports. We need to keep him here. In my opinion he should be the highest paid guy (non-player) after the head coach.

Must keep Kander.
TRKO [enjin:12664595]

Post by TRKO [enjin:12664595] »

lipoli390 wrote:My three main personnel recommendations:

1. Draft the best player available this June. We have to hope that Thibs, Layton and our scouting staff have good judgment in that regard. Thankfully, it's not critical given the young talent we already have, but the right pick can help. This will be Thibs' first test as a front office executive.

2. Sign a couple solid role players via free agency. I don't have anyone in mind at the moment.

3. Don't trade any of our core six --Towns, Wiggins, Zach, Ricky, Gorgui and Bazz -- until after next season (or at next February's trade deadline) so they can have a full or at least a half season under Thibs. One of the main reasons I haven't wanted to trade any of our young guys, including Bazz, is that I wanted to first see how they perform and develop under a top head coach. Now that we have someone considered to be one of League's top head coaches, we need to have the patience to see what Thibs can get out of them. We either find they're worth keeping or we will have enhanced their trade value. if Thibs is as good as advertised, then any deal we can get this summer for any of our current roster players isn't as good as the deal we'll be able to get next summer or perhaps next February after their improvement under Thibs.

Not sure what Thibs has in mind, but those would be my recommendations if he asked.

Totally on board with this. Exactly how they should approach the offseason. You have to give your youngsters a chance to prove themselves and grow. A few vet role players allow us to compete for the playoffs.
Carlos Danger

Post by Carlos Danger »

TRKO wrote:
lipoli390 wrote:My three main personnel recommendations:

Totally on board with this. Exactly how they should approach the offseason. You have to give your youngsters a chance to prove themselves and grow. A few vet role players allow us to compete for the playoffs.

Excellent points made above. And I am also on board with that line of thinking. I was cringing during the trade deadline when some were advocating dealing Bazz or Dieng. Not because I think either of those guys are untouchable. But because I felt it was a strong possibility we'd have a new coach/GM in place for next year. Let the new guys determine who fits and who doesn't. Certainly there will be some changes. But at least any moves will be done under the vision of the new regime. That just makes sense.
Monster

Post by Monster »

I think the situation with Arnoe is going to be key for a few reasons. FWIW Wolfson mentioned the other day in a podcast that Arnie and Thibs are friends so that may help.

1. Arnie is terrific at what he does
2. If he stays that means something positive about the new power couple Thibs and Layden that he wants to work for them and they also want him here and value him.
3. A lot of Wolves fans have confidence in Arnie. Keeping him here would do a lot in keeping the injury concerns at bay which would be helpful since this franchise has not done well in that area and it's a criticism of the incoming coach.

Ultimately Arnie has a decision to make and maybe he decides it's time for him to step away and do something else and be with his family and nothing will sway him. I selfishly hope that's not the case.

One other thought is FWIW Wolfson also mentioned Mike Penberthy is now wanting to be a full time assistant again with a team. I'd be happy to see him with the team.
Phenom

Post by Phenom »

I think an underrated aspect of the Thibs hire, and the coaching change in general, is the timing with the upcoming historic summer. I'm not sure if this entered Glen's mind at all but staying the course with Sam could have potentially limited the Wolves as a free agent destination. I don't know if Thibs has huge plans for free agency but I think he will have much more pull to the guys he wants. For once we shouldn't be relegated to the scraps of free agency and that is important in a summer where salaries are going to skyrocket for most players.
Carlos Danger

Post by Carlos Danger »

Phenom's_Revenge wrote:I think an underrated aspect of the Thibs hire, and the coaching change in general, is the timing with the upcoming historic summer. I'm not sure if this entered Glen's mind at all but staying the course with Sam could have potentially limited the Wolves as a free agent destination. I don't know if Thibs has huge plans for free agency but I think he will have much more pull to the guys he wants. For once we shouldn't be relegated to the scraps of free agency and that is important in a summer where salaries are going to skyrocket for most players.

It's a very good point. If they snag one starter from Free Agency, that pushes one of our current starters to the bench - which (in theory) makes both units better. Than add one or two vet role players, plus a top 5 pick...it will be fun.
Monster

Post by Monster »

Carlos Danger wrote:
Phenom's_Revenge wrote:I think an underrated aspect of the Thibs hire, and the coaching change in general, is the timing with the upcoming historic summer. I'm not sure if this entered Glen's mind at all but staying the course with Sam could have potentially limited the Wolves as a free agent destination. I don't know if Thibs has huge plans for free agency but I think he will have much more pull to the guys he wants. For once we shouldn't be relegated to the scraps of free agency and that is important in a summer where salaries are going to skyrocket for most players.

It's a very good point. If they snag one starter from Free Agency, that pushes one of our current starters to the bench - which (in theory) makes both units better. Than add one or two vet role players, plus a top 5 pick...it will be fun.

I think the reality is its a weird thing to go into FA (and if you have a chance to buy some 2nd rounders if you like some guys) without a coach. How are you going to know which guy/s to really go after without knowing what you are trying to fit these players into? I think the Wolves could make a run at a guy that's more along the lines of atop FA but I think that with THibs and Layden in place they can maybe look at some lesser guys that fit what they want whether that's a more vet guy or maybe a younger player with some potential left. I think Glen one way or another realized this. Jon K said one prominent player said before the last game he didn't care who was going to be the coach he just wanted everything in place so it was settled and they could get to work. If a player said that I can bet plenty of other people within and without the organization said that to Glen.