Official 2016 Offseasont Thread (Free Agents/Trades/Front Office Moves)

Any And All Things T-Wolves Related
kekgeek

Re: Official 2016 Offseasont Thread (Free Agents/Trades/Front Office Moves)

Post by kekgeek »

JasonIsDaMan wrote:
bleedspeed177 wrote:I would trade the 5th pick for either of these guys.

http://www.csnphilly.com/the700level/chad-ford-high-likelihood-sixers-trade-jahlil-okafor-or-nerlens-noel

I like Okafor, and I'm rooting for him, but you can't give up the #5 pick for a 19 year old coming off a DUI. Never mind whether or not this is a lingering problem and he is therefore a bust, the public relations of the move would be a disaster in the near term.

Nothing new to say on Noel. He still only has one year left on his rookie deal.

Pretty sure that is incorrect
JasonIsDaMan [enjin:7981157]

Post by JasonIsDaMan [enjin:7981157] »

kekgeek1 wrote:
JasonIsDaMan wrote:

http://www.csnphilly.com/the700level/chad-ford-high-likelihood-sixers-trade-jahlil-okafor-or-nerlens-noel

I like Okafor, and I'm rooting for him, but you can't give up the #5 pick for a 19 year old coming off a DUI. Never mind whether or not this is a lingering problem and he is therefore a bust, the public relations of the move would be a disaster in the near term.

Nothing new to say on Noel. He still only has one year left on his rookie deal.

Pretty sure that is incorrect

Ok. So alcohol wasn't involved and he has known Jones since he was 8. My apologies.

Here goes: I am concerned about my favorite team giving up the number 5 pick and millions of dollars to a guy who can only obey the law when he is being babysat by a guy a foot shorter than him, and I am concerned that I will have to overpay a player who may only be average or below average to make sure he stays on the team to continue to keep Okafor out of trouble.

I do not blame Okafor for the fight, and am actually quite surprised fights like that don't happen more often. Especially if you play for the 76ers.
longstrangetrip [enjin:6600564]

Post by longstrangetrip [enjin:6600564] »

I'm with you, bleed...I see Noel and Okafor as far better than anything that might be available at #5. Ford's take is that Philly is more likely to let Okafor go than Noel, so let's examine that deal.

Why do the Wolves do it? Because they get a solid low post scorer at #5 who was in the running for the first or second pick last year (although he ended up going 3rd). Jahlil averaged 17.5 and 7 (with 1.2 blocks) in only 30 MPG last year, and showed footwork around the basket far beyond the typical 20-year-old. Starting Okafor at C allows KAT to operate more on the perimeter where he can be effective, and gives the Wolves terrific defensive length.

Why does Philliy do it? Okafor was a 3rd pick last year, and his star was tarnished by some personal difficulties last year. To get a #5 pick for a guy with a reputation who was drafted #3 the year before sounds like a coup. Philly needs to create room for Embiid, and this would do it.

Okafor was universally described as a good kid in all the pre-draft discussion, and has been a best friend of Tyus Jones (known for his good character) since junior high. Jahlil didn't behave well in his first year in the NBA and any team trading for him would have to do their due diligence, but like Bleed, I see him as low risk.

If it's true that Philly plans to unload one of these guys, I would offer #5 to them for Noel, who I prefer because of his potential to be a game-changer defensively. If they say no, I would make the same offer for Okafor. Ford thinks they want to get Boston's #3 for Okafor so they can be assured of getting Dunn, but I would be surprised if Boston was willing to give that pick up for him. Getting turned down for #3 might make our offer of #5 look quite attractive, especially since Dunn is more likely than not to still be available there.
khans2k5 [enjin:6608728]

Post by khans2k5 [enjin:6608728] »

If the Kings really like Dunn, do you think they would trade 8 and WCS for Dunn? They already have Cousins and Koufas at the 5 and WCS can't play the 4.

longstrangetrip wrote:

I'm with you, bleed...I see Noel and Okafor as far better than anything that might be available at #5. Ford's take is that Philly is more likely to let Okafor go than Noel, so let's examine that deal.

Why do the Wolves do it? Because they get a solid low post scorer at #5 who was in the running for the first or second pick last year (although he ended up going 3rd). Jahlil averaged 17.5 and 7 (with 1.2 blocks) in only 30 MPG last year, and showed footwork around the basket far beyond the typical 20-year-old. Starting Okafor at C allows KAT to operate more on the perimeter where he can be effective, and gives the Wolves terrific defensive length.

Why does Philliy do it? Okafor was a 3rd pick last year, and his star was tarnished by some personal difficulties last year. To get a #5 pick for a guy with a reputation who was drafted #3 the year before sounds like a coup. Philly needs to create room for Embiid, and this would do it.

Okafor was universally described as a good kid in all the pre-draft discussion, and has been a best friend of Tyus Jones (known for his good character) since junior high. Jahlil didn't behave well in his first year in the NBA and any team trading for him would have to do their due diligence, but like Bleed, I see him as low risk.

If it's true that Philly plans to unload one of these guys, I would offer #5 to them for Noel, who I prefer because of his potential to be a game-changer defensively. If they say no, I would make the same offer for Okafor. Ford thinks they want to get Boston's #3 for Okafor so they can be assured of getting Dunn, but I would be surprised if Boston was willing to give that pick up for him. Getting turned down for #3 might make our offer of #5 look quite attractive, especially since Dunn is more likely than not to still be available there.

Strange, I respect you. But this is not like the time the Packers cut Kurt Warner because they had Brett Favre, Mark Brunnell and Aaron Brooks. There was no red flags about Warner's character. This was pre-practice-squad and they just couldn't keep all 4. This is a 10 win (NBA) team saying that they don't have minutes for those guys.

Back when Hinkie was fired, there was a thread on here saying that he basically deserved what he got. Well, Okafor is part of that. Also, when there was a thread on here about Colangelo getting the GM/POBO job, I said this is what he does. He comes in and make obvious moves after someone else did the heavy lifting. Well, if someone gives you the #5 pick for a guy who is having personal issues, or a guy you aren't interested in extending, that is an obvious move.

Let's try this: If MIN drafted a guy at #5 who had a ton of red flags, yeah, you would be upset with the player for not getting it together, but you would be more upset about Mccloskey drafting Rider, uh, I mean you would be more upset with the team for drafting the player.

khans2k5 wrote:If the Kings really like Dunn, do you think they would trade 8 and WCS for Dunn? They already have Cousins and Koufas at the 5 and WCS can't play the 4.

He's a better 4 than a 5.

If you trade with SAC, go for the home run. Casspi for Payne = Solo shot. Collison for Rubio = Three run. Pek for Cousins = A grand slam that lands in the bar at First Avenue.
Monster

Post by Monster »

If I am Philly and the best I can get is #5 for Okafor I wait and hold out for more.

I don't see the Kings giving up WCS and #8 to move up. That's a pretty hefty price.
TRKO [enjin:12664595]

Post by TRKO [enjin:12664595] »

I trade the 5th pick in a heartbeat for Okafor or Noel. No question about it for me.
khans2k5 [enjin:6608728]

Post by khans2k5 [enjin:6608728] »

JasonIsDaMan wrote:
khans2k5 wrote:If the Kings really like Dunn, do you think they would trade 8 and WCS for Dunn? They already have Cousins and Koufas at the 5 and WCS can't play the 4.

He's a better 4 than a 5.

If you trade with SAC, go for the home run. Casspi for Payne = Solo shot. Collison for Rubio = Three run. Pek for Cousins = A grand slam that lands in the bar at First Avenue.

Offensively how is he a 4? He can defend either spot so what makes him better as a 4 than 5? Would he not then be a perfect fit next to Cousins and they have their frontcourt for the next decade if he was really a 4?
TeamRicky [enjin:6648771]

Post by TeamRicky [enjin:6648771] »

I only do it if we can get a first round pick back as well. Maybe throw in Bazz if need be. Noel and 24 for 5 (and Bazz). I'm less crazy about Okafor and if Bender or Buddy drop to 5, I think I'd rather keep pick and take Bender or Buddy.