Official 2016 Draft Thread

Any And All Things T-Wolves Related
Q12543 [enjin:6621299]

Re: Official 2016 Draft Thread

Post by Q12543 [enjin:6621299] »

bleedspeed177 wrote:
Q12543 wrote:
There is never a guarantee with any draft pick. There are very rarely "can't miss" prospects.

Agree. I wonder if someone went through and looked at lottery picks and how over the last 10 years how class-man worked out for busts. Freshmen vs Sophmores vs Juniors vs Seniors

My concern is Hield went from 61st to top ten as a senior. I think guys that come back that are 1st's the year prior are pretty much locks. I am thinking Blake Griffin, Greg Monroe, and Portis that come to mind. Here is Buddy's draft stock history:

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Buddy-Hield-58749/mock-draft-history/

Started the year at 45 and is all the way down to 9. That is an alarm as a senior to me.

Here is Stephen Curry's for reference. He was a 1st and came back.
http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Stephen-Curry-1170/mock-draft-history/

Right, Buddy is a late bloomer. If he was still producing like he did as a Junior, he would be stuck in the 2nd round....at best.

I think the question is whether his senior year is a fluke. If he only played 10-15 games, that would still be a valid question. I'm not sure it is any longer.
bleedspeed

Post by bleedspeed »

I would be happy to trade down and get Buddy and Sabonis. Getting Sabonis would be huge.
Camden [enjin:6601484]

Post by Camden [enjin:6601484] »

So, ESPN and their large statistical database solved the answer to the board's question several days ago. I couldn't quite solve it as I only got to 1980 before eventually giving up.

If Ben Simmons is selected No. 1 overall in the NBA Draft, he would become the third college player since 1966 to be the top pick and never play in the NCAA tournament. The other two: Doug Collins (1973) and Mychal Thompson (1978).
GymRat [enjin:6592663]

Post by GymRat [enjin:6592663] »

I would love to get Sabonis, but I am not as high on Buddy. I don't necessarily want a guy that plays well only in his "contract" year. Hello Wes Johnson.

In a 2-pick scenario I would be excited for Jaylen Brown and Sabonis. For example, drafting Brown and then if you think Muhammed is no longer a core piece, try to move him for a mid-first to acquire Sabonis? Not sure if that's even a possibility since the mid-range price is pretty iffy this early, but I'd think about that.

I think those 2 guys would be the depth you're wanting to add, neither would be asked to start, and both are solid players in very complementary ways.
kekgeek

Post by kekgeek »

That is incorrect Micheal Olowokandi never played in the tournament and he was the #1 overall pick in 1998 out of Pacific
m4gor [enjin:6667447]

Post by m4gor [enjin:6667447] »

kekgeek1 wrote:That is incorrect Micheal Olowokandi never played in the tournament and he was the #1 overall pick in 1998 out of Pacific

wiki says he played in the tournament as a junior in 1997, is that incorrect?
Monster

Post by Monster »

GymRat wrote:I would love to get Sabonis, but I am not as high on Buddy. I don't necessarily want a guy that plays well only in his "contract" year. Hello Wes Johnson.

In a 2-pick scenario I would be excited for Jaylen Brown and Sabonis. For example, drafting Brown and then if you think Muhammed is no longer a core piece, try to move him for a mid-first to acquire Sabonis? Not sure if that's even a possibility since the mid-range price is pretty iffy this early, but I'd think about that.

I think those 2 guys would be the depth you're wanting to add, neither would be asked to start, and both are solid players in very complementary ways.

It was literally weeks ago we were taking about how we wondered if we should move Dieng and he has played so well for a solid enough stretch that most here don't really have interest in moving him. So now it's Bazz that admittedly makes sense to consider moving because he has a effective but limited skill set and there clearly seems interest from a number of team which means you may be able to get something worthwhile back if you do decide to move him.

It's always easy to fall in love with draft picks over flawed but useful (or at least shown something) NBA players. A few days ago there was a tweet that quoted Pop talking about the organization trading George Hill to draft Leonard. He said they trusted the people that made the remommendation (Spurs shot Doctor Chip Engllend thought his shot had a lot of promise) but many were in the organization including Pop were terrified...and that was the Spurs. Bazz isn't what George Hill was but he has some merits.

I wonder if a year from now we may be looking at Bazz in the same way we are looking at Dieng. But Bazz is what he is right? One thing that keeps Bazz from being more worthwhile is a 3 point shot. The last 2 seasons he has shot well over 40% from the corners which means outside of the corners it's been bad news. So what if Bazz gets better at shooting the longer 3 or he can basically work the sides of the court to his advantage? The real question though is his defense. Can it improve enough to not be a complete liability? Idk I worry about that ally even though I thing he has improved marginally this year in a couple aspects. His lack of overall length hurts him at SF and he doesn't do well guarding SG either although he has improved in that area working hard on his body.

Having said all that if you can move Bazz for a guy you really really like in the draft like Sabonis or maybe Grayson Allen or some other perimeter type player (kinda depends on what you do with the top pick) then you gotta consider it because Bazz is about to get paid and who knows what he will be worth when the time to make a decision on him. It would also really suck for him to basically just walk at the end of his rookie contract and the wolves get nothing in return.
Coolbreeze44

Post by Coolbreeze44 »

m4gor wrote:
kekgeek1 wrote:That is incorrect Micheal Olowokandi never played in the tournament and he was the #1 overall pick in 1998 out of Pacific

wiki says he played in the tournament as a junior in 1997, is that incorrect?

He didn't play in the tournament in the year he was selected #1.
Q12543 [enjin:6621299]

Post by Q12543 [enjin:6621299] »

GymRat wrote:I would love to get Sabonis, but I am not as high on Buddy. I don't necessarily want a guy that plays well only in his "contract" year. Hello Wes Johnson.

Heh, although isn't anyone that plans on going pro the following season in their "contract" year?

On Jaylen Brown, besides having an NBA body, what is he good at?
WildWolf2813

Post by WildWolf2813 »

Q12543 wrote:

Heh, although isn't anyone that plans on going pro the following season in their "contract" year?

On Jaylen Brown, besides having an NBA body, what is he good at?

I'll answer that for you. Nothing. He's not good at anything.

He possesses all of Wiggins' crappy traits without much of his good ones.