Official 2016 Draft Thread

Any And All Things T-Wolves Related
Carlos Danger

Re: Official 2016 Draft Thread

Post by Carlos Danger »

I'll stick this here just because it sort of fits. Kind of interesting:
http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaabk/what-if-college-hoops-stars-stayed-in-school/ar-AAgDc02?li=BBnba9I
Q12543 [enjin:6621299]

Post by Q12543 [enjin:6621299] »

ahughes53 wrote:Was watching some prospect videos today out of boredom and one guy that seems like an interesting prospect for this team later in the draft is Grayson Allen. I've watched him a couple times this year and watched one of his prospect videos on DX. I never noticed it watching him live, but when you see a bunch of his defensive possessions back to back to back, his defense reminds me a lot of Rubio. He pressures the ball at half court, has good form and is a really great athlete. I don't think he'll ever be Tony Allen, but he's got a good frame for 6'4" and a beautiful looking stroke. We've discussed a lot that 3 and D players don't grow on trees in college ball, but he seems like the prototype albeit a little short.

(Sorry if he has been discussed, a lot of pages in this thread)

He's an interesting prospect and I'm not sure why he's ranked so low, other than the fact he's a sophomore. If he was doing this as a freshman, I wonder if he'd be top 10? I think you are right that he is a little on the short side for SG, yet so is Buddy Hield and Jamal Murray, both of whom are well above him on mock drafts. So I'm not sure what the knock is on him.

Carlos Danger wrote:I'll stick this here just because it sort of fits. Kind of interesting:
http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaabk/what-if-college-hoops-stars-stayed-in-school/ar-AAgDc02?li=BBnba9I

Duke and Kentucky would be scary good.
khans2k5 [enjin:6608728]

Post by khans2k5 [enjin:6608728] »

Q12543 wrote:
ahughes53 wrote:Was watching some prospect videos today out of boredom and one guy that seems like an interesting prospect for this team later in the draft is Grayson Allen. I've watched him a couple times this year and watched one of his prospect videos on DX. I never noticed it watching him live, but when you see a bunch of his defensive possessions back to back to back, his defense reminds me a lot of Rubio. He pressures the ball at half court, has good form and is a really great athlete. I don't think he'll ever be Tony Allen, but he's got a good frame for 6'4" and a beautiful looking stroke. We've discussed a lot that 3 and D players don't grow on trees in college ball, but he seems like the prototype albeit a little short.

He's an interesting prospect and I'm not sure why he's ranked so low, other than the fact he's a sophomore. If he was doing this as a freshman, I wonder if he'd be top 10? I think you are right that he is a little on the short side for SG, yet so is Buddy Hield and Jamal Murray, both of whom are well above him on mock drafts. So I'm not sure what the knock is on him.

Let's call it what it is. He's white and unlikeable. That's why he's so low. It took 4 years for Redick to get on people's radar to be a high pick and he was a phenomenal shooter in college. He's 6'4 as a SG and that hasn't stopped him from being a really good role player for years now and he's solid on both sides of the ball. Allen isn't as good of a shooter, but I think he has a better handle and he gets to the line a lot which Reddick didn't really do until his later years.

Edit: Allen is actually on par with Redick's shooting ability so the only reason I can think of why he wouldn't be higher is that he's white and unlikeable.

khans2k5 wrote:
Q12543 wrote:

Let's call it what it is. He's white and unlikeable. That's why he's so low. It took 4 years for Redick to get on people's radar to be a high pick and he was a phenomenal shooter in college. He's 6'4 as a SG and that hasn't stopped him from being a really good role player for years now and he's solid on both sides of the ball. Allen isn't as good of a shooter, but I think he has a better handle and he gets to the line a lot which Reddick didn't really do until his later years.

Edit: Allen is actually on par with Redick's shooting ability so the only reason I can think of why he wouldn't be higher is that he's white and unlikeable.

That's interesting if true since his athleticism belies the stereotype of his skin color. I also can't believe with all of the advanced analytics and scouting these days that skin color would factor into his projected draft position.
Camden [enjin:6601484]

Post by Camden [enjin:6601484] »

I've long said Allen was in my top-10 even with other draft pundits having him lower. He has a really strong overall game, both ends of the floor. I like him a lot.
khans2k5 [enjin:6608728]

Post by khans2k5 [enjin:6608728] »

Q12543 wrote:
khans2k5 wrote:
Q12543 wrote:

That's interesting if true since his athleticism belies the stereotype of his skin color. I also can't believe with all of the advanced analytics and scouting these days that skin color would factor into his projected draft position.

I think this accurately covers it.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/14644805/grayson-allen-being-hated-white-player-duke-blue-devils

It shouldn't be a thing, but it's a thing and it's why he's not a top 10 projected pick in a weak draft with players older and less versatile than him being considered as better NBA options to draft.
northernhoops [enjin:9491634]

Post by northernhoops [enjin:9491634] »

I think it really is more of a continuance of past perceptions than anything really relevant now. In the past, Duke recruited white kids or black kids who went to private schools almost exclusively. The reputation they got from this strategy was a preppy, throw a fit when I don't get what I want school, which was personified by Christian Laettner. Now, Duke has somewhat gotten away from that recruiting strategy but the reputation remains the same and the white hated Duke player has been passed down generation to generation.

What I see from Allen is either, he wants nothing more than to win or he'll throw a fit when things go wrong. That's really something I think GMs are responsible for finding out in interviews.
BizarroJerry [enjin:6592520]

Post by BizarroJerry [enjin:6592520] »

Buddy Hield + strong defensive free agent signing + new coach = playoffs next year
ahughes53 [enjin:6639223]

Post by ahughes53 [enjin:6639223] »

The perception is real because a lot of people who "study players" and do these mock drafts for big companies don't actually watch or pay attention to these dudes. They go height, weight, athleticism and make a comparison.

On NFL.com a few years ago there was a white receiver from Texas Tech, or A&M I can't remember, but he was like 6'2" and ran a 4.3 40, played not in the slot but he was white so his NFL comparison on NFL.com was Wes Welker.

Not saying that's DraftExpress's problem cause they clearly watch tape, but it is confusing to a degree that he seems like the whole package and he's almost a 2nd round projected pick.