Game thread 2018 season

A place for Twinscentric Discussion
Monster

Re: Game thread 2018 season

Post by Monster »

Well a 3 game losing streak pretty much ended what was a long shot for this team to have a chance at the post season. It's now time to watch for general enjoyment and evaluation purposes. It's been a tough season. Hopefully the rest of the season will bring some good things we can take away for the future of this team.

Mejia had a solid relief appearance to aid Berrios yesterday. I'm a fan of Mejia I think he can be a legit quality starter. Its weird to feel like the Twins have a real collection of starting pitching at this point both in young guys and solid pitchers also.
Monster

Post by Monster »

I caught up on the Cleveland series yesterday watching the condensed versions. Santana looks like a guy that isn't that far off of being pretty effective. Sano looks like he has dropped some legit weight compared to what he was. He isn't tearin f the cover off the ball bit .333 OBP and some doubles are somewhat encouraging. If this season ends up being a wake up call that has him taking care of his body seriously it will not be a lost season after all. I still have some hope for him but unfortunately the concerns are more than they ever have been.
Monster

Post by Monster »

A sweep against the Royals and now we play Cleveland again. Today's game had some terrific defeneiveplays by both teams. There was also some less than perfect defense played also. Cave had a grand slam and Sano is hitting. It will be interesting to see who they bring up since Grossman went to the DL. I'm gonna say it's Johny Field the recent waiver claim. He has some surprising pop in his bat.
Monster

Post by Monster »

Nice bounce back game from that drubbing Cleveland gave the Twins the other night. Mejia with another good outing and the Twins got plenty of hits after doing nothing the day before. Maybe they should have more of these delayed games. Lol Hildy has hit a bit of a tough stretch here hopefully he can get past it and I have confidence he will. Forsythe is hitting well so far which is kind of a nice bonus.
longstrangetrip [enjin:6600564]

Post by longstrangetrip [enjin:6600564] »

monsterpile wrote:Nice bounce back game from that drubbing Cleveland gave the Twins the other night. Mejia with another good outing and the Twins got plenty of hits after doing nothing the day before. Maybe they should have more of these delayed games. Lol Hildy has hit a bit of a tough stretch here hopefully he can get past it and I have confidence he will. Forsythe is hitting well so far which is kind of a nice bonus.

I like Mejia a lot and hope he can stay in the rotation next year. He's a young lefty with impressive stuff, and command has been an issue with him like it often is with lefties...Koufax walked 100 batters in 175 innings when he was Mejia's age. He's given up only 2 hits and 1 walk in his last 10 innings against Cleveland. Let's hope his wrist injury doesn't hold him back and he can finish the season strong. Getting him for Nunez may turn out to be a brilliant move.
Monster

Post by Monster »

longstrangetrip wrote:
monsterpile wrote:Nice bounce back game from that drubbing Cleveland gave the Twins the other night. Mejia with another good outing and the Twins got plenty of hits after doing nothing the day before. Maybe they should have more of these delayed games. Lol Hildy has hit a bit of a tough stretch here hopefully he can get past it and I have confidence he will. Forsythe is hitting well so far which is kind of a nice bonus.

I like Mejia a lot and hope he can stay in the rotation next year. He's a young lefty with impressive stuff, and command has been an issue with him like it often is with lefties...Koufax walked 100 batters in 175 innings when he was Mejia's age. He's given up only 2 hits and 1 walk in his last 10 innings against Cleveland. Let's hope his wrist injury doesn't hold him back and he can finish the season strong. Getting him for Nunez may turn out to be a brilliant move.

Ugh I just saw he had that injury. Is it just me or does he also look in a bit better shape right now? I'm a fan of Mejia also and Roy Smalley is a fan of his stuff too. Nunez has continued to be a pretty nice player which is nice to see and the weird thing is that the Twins have had enough players that have been productive so it's hasnt been devastating we moved him.
Monster

Post by Monster »

Hildy continues his struggle and the Twins had plenty of flubs in this game so it's not all on him. It's a good thing they weren't playing games that actually mattered or this would have been a devastating loss that could have been a win with solid play all around. Sano continues to look good at the plate. Forsythe keeps hitting. It's good to see May getting in some work and it's gone pretty well so far all things considered.
Monster

Post by Monster »

Fun game last night with the Twins getting a win. Austin with his first HR in his first game as a Twin and will be getting plenty of opportunities as Morrison has played his last game as a Twin with a hip injury that may require surgury. I wanted him gone but that's certainly not how I wanted it to go down. Gibson had another good start and Hildy held on for the save. May has been good in his return. Forsythe continues his hot hitting as a Twin. Sano continues to look pretty good at the plate.
bleedspeed

Post by bleedspeed »

And the Kohl Stewart era has begun. I didn't even know he got called up until seeing post game boxscore.
longstrangetrip [enjin:6600564]

Post by longstrangetrip [enjin:6600564] »

bleedspeed177 wrote:And the Kohl Stewart era has begun. I didn't even know he got called up until seeing post game boxscore.

I watched much of his performance, Bleed, and I would say he pitched better than his results. Four scoreless innings, and then allowed the Tigers to chip away with 3 runs in the 5th. I had given up on Stewart, but apparently he has learned to command his 4-seamer this year, and compiled a very good ground ball rate. He doesn't have swing and miss stuff, but may be talented enough tomake it as a back of the rotation starter.

Stewart has been difficult to cheer for in the past and had a reputation as a world class jerk (jester...any insight on that?). But there are even some signs that he has grown up a little and developed a little humility...a few years riding the bus in the minors can do that to a guy.