Twins pitchers under the age of 20

A place for Twinscentric Discussion
longstrangetrip [enjin:6600564]

Re: Twins pitchers under the age of 20

Post by longstrangetrip [enjin:6600564] »

Jester1534 wrote:
longstrangetrip wrote:Well, that was quick...Felix Jorge will bypass AAA and start Saturday against KC. I like Jorge, but have him ranked way behind Gonsalves and Romero. His stuff is average...mid 90s fastball, change and improving slider...but he has good command and a polished effortless delivery. I'm not looking for a dominant performance, but I think he will do fine. Fun to see one of our promising young arms come up...can't wait to see the other 2!

Are they seeing if he can stick or is he just pitching cause of the double header this weekend?

I'm only guessing, jester, but I think it's the latter. He's a 23-year-old prospect, not a fill-in vet, and he's been locked in at AA since late April. I thikn they are guardedly optimistic that he can stick as a bottom of the rotation guy. With the uncertainty surrounding Gibby, Santiago and even Mejia despite his scoreless streak, the competition for those 4th and 5th spots is not too daunting.

Time to bump this thread again with the exciting news that Gonsalves has been called up to start tomorrow! He's been consistently successful in the minors, and is much easier to cheer for than Kohl Stewart (who had a very poor outing in his second start). I think Gonsalves and Mejia could be the LH parts of a strong rotation next year with Gibson, Berrios and Odorizzi (I expect Santana will not return).
Monster

Post by Monster »

longstrangetrip wrote:Time to bump this thread again with the exciting news that Gonsalves has been called up to start tomorrow! He's been consistently successful in the minors, and is much easier to cheer for than Kohl Stewart (who had a very poor outing in his second start). I think Gonsalves and Mejia could be the LH parts of a strong rotation next year with Gibson, Berrios and Odorizzi (I expect Santana will not return).

I just saw Santana was going back to the DL with problems with that finger. What a disappointing and frustrating situation for him. He has one of the best seasons of his career helps the Twins get back to the postseason and thenbasically has a lost season. I agree it's looking less likely that he will be back.

Back to Gonsalves it will be exciting to see him pitching at this level. I wonder if we will see any other starters come up this year.
bleedspeed

Post by bleedspeed »

This is good news. This article talked about September call-up and Littell and Romero are brought up.

http://www.1500espn.com/twins-2/2018/08/mining-minors-whos-line-september-call/

Another day, and another poor start for my favorite Twins prospect...Stephen Gonsalves. On the other hand, a prospect that I am not high on (Kohl Stewart) had a very good outing his last time out. I'm not changing my opinion on these two pitchers prospects going forward, but it sure has been a disappointing beginning for Gonsalves.
Monster

Post by Monster »

longstrangetrip wrote:Another day, and another poor start for my favorite Twins prospect...Stephen Gonsalves. On the other hand, a prospect that I am not high on (Kohl Stewart) had a very good outing his last time out. I'm not changing my opinion on these two pitchers prospects going forward, but it sure has been a disappointing beginning for Gonsalves.

I don't think it should be that surprising that Gonsalves has struggled. He isn't A guy that JUST relies on control but that's big for him and in the bit I have seen in condensed games it hasn't been there enough. When he is throwing it where he wants it he looks good...which you could say about pretty much any pitcher but he does do what I've heard he does to get guys out for an inning or 4 or so hitters and then it kinda falls apart plus a couple starts the defense hasn't helped him out.

Stewart has honestly shown more than i was hoping for. His basic is idea as a pitcher is pretty straightforward but there is nothing wrong with the that obviously.

Does anyone have opinions on what they should do with May? I've been a guy that just wants to see him stay in the Pen and dominate but some other smarter baseball folks have still thought he could be a really good starter. This team isn't loaded with guys to some extent but it does seem to have some more intruiging options especially now that they have a guy in Berrios who looks like a true ace. A true #2 guy in the rotation would be great but if next season they found a dominate late inning guy either as a closer or another lights out guy would be pretty big. Hildenburger has been pretty good overall and some other things innthe pen have been positives but other than Pressly emerging and then being traded I'm not sure another guy REALLY stepped forth. Anyone else see something I haven't?

EDIT: Taylor Rogers has taken a step forward after a pretty meh start. I guess he was trying to add a changeup but that wasn't working so he started working on a slider and now he has that going.