We Need to Talk About Jaden

Any And All Things T-Wolves Related
Camden [enjin:6601484]

Re: We Need to Talk About Jaden

Post by Camden [enjin:6601484] »

thedoper wrote:Id rather see Naz, Josh, Prince, the McDaniels until he earns his PT

I'm ready for Bolmaro and McDaniels to swap places.
kekgeek

Post by kekgeek »

Camden0916 wrote:
thedoper wrote:Id rather see Naz, Josh, Prince, the McDaniels until he earns his PT

My big concern is he has been unable to defend without fouling this year. That is a huge issue. Obviously the offense has been probably the worst on the team this year also
Camden [enjin:6601484]

Post by Camden [enjin:6601484] »

kekgeek1 wrote:
Camden0916 wrote:

My big concern is he has been unable to defend without fouling this year. That is a huge issue. Obviously the offense has been probably the worst on the team this year also

I think a lot of the fouling has to do with him defending as a four more than he should. The guy is an awesome wing defender being forced to play the hybrid forward spot and it doesn't bring out the best in him. Keep in mind there are more responsibilities on defense as a four (and five) than there are as a one, two, or three. Part of the problem is roster construction, but Chris Finch should be able to recognize this and mitigate the issue by playing more lineups with Jarred Vanderbilt, Taurean Prince, and Naz Reid at the four allowing McDaniels to do what he does best in the perimeter.
Q12543 [enjin:6621299]

Post by Q12543 [enjin:6621299] »

I think Rosas really screwed up by not going out and getting a legit starting big this offseason. The domino effect would have moved KAT to starting PF and McDaniels to starting SF. Both would be better off for it.
AbeVigodaLive

Post by AbeVigodaLive »

Right now, there's a fun Jaden McDaniels drinking game we can play... well, if we're moderate drinkers.

Take a shot every time he fouls. Give a shot to somebody else every time he scores or rebounds.

4.4 ppg
4.0 reb
4.2 FOULS

I assume we'd all just take a shot if he somehow stumbles into a free throw. I don't know... it's only happened 3 times in 10 games. Even Trenton Hassell is embarrassed about that free throw stat.
DNatagal

Post by DNatagal »

Why does everyone assume "legit bigs" are so easy to sign? If you were Alex Len, one of the Lopez's, pick a 7 footer, would you want to play in MN? Or would you rather sign as a backup on a team with a chance to win? The answer looks pretty obvious to me.
Coolbreeze44

Post by Coolbreeze44 »

A lot of young players have a tough time learning to defend without fouling, it isn't a big surprise he's struggling with as aggressive as he plays. Remember Pek at the beginning? But his seeming lack of confidence on offense, and his over-willingness to defer on that end of the floor has been a major disappointment to me. Maybe he shouldn't be starting this year, but most of us thought he was ready and deserving. He can guard 1-3, he just has to learn to do it without getting into foul trouble every game.
kekgeek

Post by kekgeek »

CoolBreeze44 wrote:A lot of young players have a tough time learning to defend without fouling, it isn't a big surprise he's struggling with as aggressive as he plays. Remember Pek at the beginning? But his seeming lack of confidence on offense, and his over-willingness to defer on that end of the floor has been a major disappointment to me. Maybe he shouldn't be starting this year, but most of us thought he was ready and deserving. He can guard 1-3, he just has to learn to do it without getting into foul trouble every game.

So I still like Mcdaniels a lot. Think he still has huge potential especially as a defender. The Wolves are still better with him on the floor then off it. Its just he was such a X Factor coming into this season and he has regressed 10 games into the season. Obviously a super small sample size. I think the over reaction from me and others comes from we are Wolves fans and we have seen this story before and there is so much worry that this is another one of those sad regression stories for the Wolves from a promising young prospect.

Still super high on Mcdaniels in the long term but in a season where it felt like the final stand for the Kat era super disappointing first 10 games from a guy who we all thought that was going to be a lot bigger factor this season.
Coolbreeze44

Post by Coolbreeze44 »

kekgeek1 wrote:
CoolBreeze44 wrote:A lot of young players have a tough time learning to defend without fouling, it isn't a big surprise he's struggling with as aggressive as he plays. Remember Pek at the beginning? But his seeming lack of confidence on offense, and his over-willingness to defer on that end of the floor has been a major disappointment to me. Maybe he shouldn't be starting this year, but most of us thought he was ready and deserving. He can guard 1-3, he just has to learn to do it without getting into foul trouble every game.

So I still like Mcdaniels a lot. Think he still has huge potential especially as a defender. The Wolves are still better with him on the floor then off it. Its just he was such a X Factor coming into this season and he has regressed 10 games into the season. Obviously a super small sample size. I think the over reaction from me and others comes from we are Wolves fans and we have seen this story before and there is so much worry that this is another one of those sad regression stories for the Wolves from a promising young prospect.

Still super high on Mcdaniels in the long term but in a season where it felt like the final stand for the Kat era super disappointing first 10 games from a guy who we all thought that was going to be a lot bigger factor this season.

I agree Kek, it seems to have gone against our best hopes. He seems to just want to fit in. Would rather see him be a little more assertive so we can see what he's got. The foul problem will work itself out eventually.
Hicks123 [enjin:6700838]

Post by Hicks123 [enjin:6700838] »

CoolBreeze44 wrote:
kekgeek1 wrote:

I agree Kek, it seems to have gone against our best hopes. He seems to just want to fit in. Would rather see him be a little more assertive so we can see what he's got. The foul problem will work itself out eventually.

To be fair to him, this seems to be about how his 1 year at Washington went as well. Played solid D, but underwhelmed tremendously on offensive end compared to expectations coming out of HS. He was a McDonalds All-American that averaged 23 and 10 in HS. He was expected to be a massive offensive asset in college based on his HS exploits. Reality is that 99% of these guys just don't develop beyond HS for various reasons.

I have seen nothing to date to think he will be an above average contributor. While many see a guy that "can" defend multiple positions, he has simply shown to be a guy that "should" be able to defend multiple positions.....as noted by his massive foul rate.