Timberwolves Draft Prospect Analysis Thread

Any And All Things T-Wolves Related
Lipoli390

Re: Timberwolves Draft Prospect Analysis Thread

Post by Lipoli390 »

Camden wrote:Lip, I don't disagree with any of your points regarding Rui, but I would proceed with caution when it comes to NBA Draft Net. I find that in the past that site tends to make changes after other well-respected platforms make their changes -- namely DraftExpress. DX and CBS Sports tend to be the best, in my opinion. Draft Net does do a good job of compiling names and giving basic profiles in prospects, though.

Three of the four writers for basketball insiders have the Wolves taking Rui at #11 while the 3rd one has the Wolves taking PJ Washington. CBS has the Wolves taking Washington. Not sure who DraftExpress has us taking. In any event, there appears to be a developing consensus that the Wolves will end up taking either Rui or Washington. They both seems like bad selections to me so I hope they're wrong.
crazy-canuck [enjin:18955461]

Post by crazy-canuck [enjin:18955461] »

lipoli390 wrote:
Camden wrote:Lip, I don't disagree with any of your points regarding Rui, but I would proceed with caution when it comes to NBA Draft Net. I find that in the past that site tends to make changes after other well-respected platforms make their changes -- namely DraftExpress. DX and CBS Sports tend to be the best, in my opinion. Draft Net does do a good job of compiling names and giving basic profiles in prospects, though.

Three of the four writers for basketball insiders have the Wolves taking Rui at #11 while the 3rd one has the Wolves taking PJ Washington. CBS has the Wolves taking Washington. Not sure who DraftExpress has us taking. In any event, there appears to be a developing consensus that the Wolves will end up taking either Rui or Washington. They both seems like bad selections to me so I hope they're wrong.

ESPN did a draft special, and they picked doumboya for us. Rui went 12 to the Hornets.
AbeVigodaLive

Post by AbeVigodaLive »

This draft seems like one that could be very very different than most mock drafts would have us believe.

As noted many times by others, there's a lot of uncertainty after the top 3 or 4.
kekgeek

Post by kekgeek »

crazy-canuck wrote:
lipoli390 wrote:

ESPN did a draft special, and they picked doumboya for us. Rui went 12 to the Hornets.

The Ringer draft guide has us taking Brandon Clarke.

We got to remember there is a lot of group think when it comes to the draft. Its how they create storylines, when saying people reached or got a steal.

Now there might be something to the Rui rumor and it wouldn't be my favorite pick but there is a belief there isn't much difference between the 8th best prospect and the 30th best prospect.

So if they think Rui has potential to be a big body 3, and small ball 4, who can put the ball on the floor and score and has the physical profile to be a good defender and when he improves communication (he sat out a year at Gonzaga to learn the US culture and learn English) he might become a solid defender.

He only averaged 6.5 rebs a game but it's not like he averaged 4 and he had a very good rebounder next to him.

Once again Rui wouldn't be my 1st pick but I'm going to trust the new front office who has good reputation around the league and if they see something in Rui I'm cool with it. Instead of trusting a lot of these analysts that watch a couple games and YouTube clips and use group think to create their draft boards
Monster

Post by Monster »

Wolfson reports the Wolves are being VERY aggressive around the league. They hired Gupta who created the trade machine, comes up with an insane amount of possibilities and we are supposed to believe the Wolves locked in on a guy weeks ago? What logical evidence is there that the Wolves would be locked in on Hui? I honestly can't think of anything. Maybe I'm being duped but there have also been basically bogus reports about this team through with various executives in charge so it's not exactly something new if that's the case. I just listened to The game theory podcast were Sam V from the athletic and another guy go through a theoretical #10-#20 guys. The variance of this draft is basically crazy. It's a little over a week to go I'm confused but getting a little excited...and nervous.
thedoper

Post by thedoper »

Are they ever right when they say a draft is 3 or 4 deep? I mean are they ever right about the 3 or 4? I think Zion is a surefire star barring injury. But after that I'm certain there is going to be someone who comes out of nowhere to be a great NBA player.

Every year they say there's a huge dropoff after a certain number and every year they are wrong. Remember the two deep Kyrie/Derrick Williams draft? It still hurts.
Hicks123 [enjin:6700838]

Post by Hicks123 [enjin:6700838] »

thedoper wrote:Are they ever right when they say a draft is 3 or 4 deep? I mean are they ever right about the 3 or 4? I think Zion is a surefire star barring injury. But after that I'm certain there is going to be someone who comes out of nowhere to be a great NBA player.

Every year they say there's a huge dropoff after a certain number and every year they are wrong. Remember the two deep Kyrie/Derrick Williams draft? It still hurts.

This is good perspective. That Kyrie/Williams draft was supposed to be the absolute worst. Some guys drafted after them?

Kanter
Thompson
Valanciunus
Kemba
Klay
Morris brothers
Kawhi
Vucevic
Tobias Harris
Faried
Mirotic
Reggie Jackson
Jimmy Butler

Not bad for a "garbage" draft.
AbeVigodaLive

Post by AbeVigodaLive »

I meant more that 3 or 4 prospects are mostly set to be drafted in specific spots... and that after that, anything may go...

It's a crapshoot about landing spots.
khans2k5 [enjin:6608728]

Post by khans2k5 [enjin:6608728] »

I'd rather have PJ Washington than Rui.
thedoper

Post by thedoper »

AbeVigodaLive wrote:I meant more that 3 or 4 prospects are mostly set to be drafted in specific spots... and that after that, anything may go...

It's a crapshoot about landing spots.

Yeah I wasn't trying to call you out for your point sorry I should have clarified. It just made me reflect on how often we get told what the depth of a draft is and every year it gets turned on its head. I think it's really strange to guarantee Garland anything at this point imo. He may be great but seems to be the perfect example of how the mystery plays into this process. Somehow I think his injury helped his stock at this point, because he does seem to be the consensus #4.