Timberwolves Draft Prospect Analysis Thread

Any And All Things T-Wolves Related
KG4Ever

Re: Timberwolves Draft Prospect Analysis Thread

Post by KG4Ever »

My problem with targeting a 3 point shooter is we've done that miserably before. Derrick Williams shot 3s at an insane .568 clip and his shooting prowess led to us burning a 2nd overall pick on him and meanwhile 5 picks between 9th and 30th became all-stars. Unless you got someone like Buddy Hield who is consistently making them from Stephen Curry range, I want someone with diverse skill sets.
Hicks123 [enjin:6700838]

Post by Hicks123 [enjin:6700838] »

From a pure upside standpoint, I really like what both Mfiondu Kabengele and Chuma Okeke bring to the table. Both long forwards with the ability to block shots, play defense and shoot 3's at a solid clip. I especially like Okeke, but his injury is obviously a concern.
KG4Ever

Post by KG4Ever »

Doumbouya is the name that I am most intrigued with so far. Boom/bust candidate. I am also intrigued by that giant of a man with the 8 foot plus wingspan, Tacko Fall (who might be worth a flier in the second round)
Lipoli390

Post by Lipoli390 »

KG4Ever wrote:Doumbouya is the name that I am most intrigued with so far. Boom/bust candidate. I am also intrigued by that giant of a man with the 8 foot plus wingspan, Tacko Fall (who might be worth a flier in the second round)

I want the Wolves to go for upside in the draft. The only upside players I'd avoid are those with motivation/motor issues like Reddish and Bol Bol. I'm not sure yet whether Kevin Porter falls into the motor issue bucket. I think his issue is immaturity. So here are my top three high upside boom/bust players who could be available when the Wolves pick at #11, although the Wolves might have to trade up a few spots for a chance at Doubmouya:

1. Doumbouya
2. Okpala
3. Kevin Porter Jr.

I also like Bassey, Fernando, Kabengele and maybe Romeo Langford.

Tacky Fall might be the best bet for the Wolves with their 2nd round pick.
TheFuture

Post by TheFuture »

crazy-canuck wrote:Going back and reading through some old draft reports, Clarke also kind of reminds me of Jimmy Butler; except clarke was more productive and alot more athletic, but a different position.

From draftexpress on Jimmy Butler.

His physical tools are fairly average, and he still needs to develop certain parts of his skill set, namely his shooting consistency from the beyond the arc, to maximize his value. However, when evaluating a player like Butler, who simply plays winning basketball, has terrific intangibles, and does all of the little things the help his team, it is important to look at what he can do before condemning him for he can't be. Butler is a heady player who plays within a team concept. He defends, he makes the extra pass, he crashes the glass, he has a terrific basketball IQ, and his attitude is a coach's dream. A product of tireless reps in the gym and a detail oriented system, the senior has a very solid floor game, makes good decision with the ball, scraps on both ends, and maximizes the physical tools he does have. - Source: http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Jimmy-Butler-6315/ ©DraftExpress

The issue is Jimmy had far better handles and was at least a threat to shoot.

People brought up the Collins comparison for Clarke. Collins is 6'10 with a 6'11 wingspan. And he is all of the athlete Clarke is, and was younger. Clarke's measurements are scary bad for his skillset.
Camden [enjin:6601484]

Post by Camden [enjin:6601484] »

The Brandon Clarke hype train is flying off the tracks. There are guys every year that present his skill set and a better, bigger, longer NBA-made body that can be found late in the first-round or even in the second-round. This is how teams essentially waste assets.

Despite already having one Karl-Anthony Towns, I think we still need to have a conversation about Goga Bitadze.
Mr. Brightside [enjin:16464947]

Post by Mr. Brightside [enjin:16464947] »

Trying to decide if Carsen Edwards is Aaron Brooks or Kyle Lowry. I'm warming up to Keldon Johnson as well. I would entertain a trade back with Boston for picks #14 and #22 to take Johnson and Edwards.

Mr. Brightside wrote:Trying to decide if Carsen Edwards is Aaron Brooks or Kyle Lowry. I'm warming up to Keldon Johnson as well. I would entertain a trade back with Boston for picks #14 and #22 to take Johnson and Edwards.

When thinking about hypothetical trades, we have to think about why a trade partner would do that deal. It's often the hardest part in crafting trades in my mind because you're obviously trying to achieve something beneficial for your team but also trying to justify it for the other team.

In this case, I don't see a logical reason that Boston would want to move up three slots and give up the 22nd pick in order to do so.

Additionally, I like Keldon Johnson and would not be upset if he wound up being Minnesota's pick, however, I think Edwards is ideally a scoring punch off the bench in the NBA. I think we could/should shoot higher than that.
bleedspeed

Post by bleedspeed »

Do the Celtics have the roster spots for 2 players? They seem to be a young team with a few vets mixed in.