Timberwolves Draft Prospect Analysis Thread

Any And All Things T-Wolves Related
Lipoli390

Re: Timberwolves Draft Prospect Analysis Thread

Post by Lipoli390 »

SameOldNudityDrew wrote:Our biggest need is a playmaker with star potential who can score by shooting off the dribble or penetrating, and who is good at setting other guys up. A Lillard or McCollum type of guy to pair with KAT. But outside of Morant, I don't really see any guys like that in this draft. So we should be focusing on what we really need most--three point shooting, ideally from a guy who can defend. But we don't need another good defender who can maybe shoot the three. We need to prioritize getting a great three point shooter who can defend.

I don't know enough about Garland to say we should definitely trade up to get him, and I don't know that anybody knows enough about him. This team has needed outside shooting and playmaking forever and he can reportedly do that, but who knows at this point? Anybody feel confident about projecting Garland?

I see no need to even think about drafting a center. Towns should be playing that role.

There isn't much to rely on in evaluating Garland because of his early injury that cut his season short after only 5 games. But his numbers in those 5 games were really impressive and suggest he'd be a great fit for the Wolves. He scored 16.2 points per game and, more significantly, shot 58% from the field and 47.8% from behind the arc. He also impressed me in the video highlights I've seen from those 5 games. What I saw confirmed the draft reviews of him, which refer to him as an elite ball handler who can really shoot the ball. The fact that he is consistently rated in the top 6 in draft rankings and mock drafts suggest that experts who have seen a lot more of him than we have are really high on him. I recall Kyrie's college career was cut short after only a few games. So I think the Wolves should definitely explore trading up to get him. The question, of course, is who would we have to trade to move up high enough to take him.

I'd be comfortable taking a center because I see KAT as more of a PF than a C anyway. I just think we need a ballhandling shot creator more than another big.
crazy-canuck [enjin:18955461]

Post by crazy-canuck [enjin:18955461] »

Im ok with a C if that C can defend, rebound, and set a proper screen.

Back to the baskets C's aren't obsolete, back to the basket C's that are slow and cant defend space are.

One big Id take a hard look at (but not at 11) is Kabengele.

[youtube]3GfmVdOdOZM[/youtube]

The guys just screams Serge Ibaka for me with his range and release on his 3 pointers and how he meets guys in mid air for blocks. It also helps to have Mutombo as an uncle.
mrhockey89

Post by mrhockey89 »

[youtube]w9CNMIY2Af8[/youtube]

After extensive draftee review, I believe I've found the right guy
Monster

Post by Monster »

mrhockey89 wrote:[youtube]w9CNMIY2Af8[/youtube]

After extensive draftee review, I believe I've found the right guy

He would never have looked that good if Robbie Hummel was on him. Also...that dude looks like Zach Randolph or something. David Kahn would never have approved of him getting to that body type. What could have been...
Monster

Post by Monster »

WildWolf2813 wrote:
monsterpile wrote:Speaking of size, toughness and rebounding should we be talking about Nassir Little as a wing? 6'4.5" without shoes and a 7'1.25" wingspan and 224lbs. He isn't a finished product for sure but in 18.2 minutes off the bench he averaged nearly 10 points and 4.5 rebounds. That's like 19/9 per 36. His 3 point shooting numbers are bad but he did hit 77% of his FTs (got there at a decent clip) and it looks like he was pretty efficient in his other baskets. It sounds like he plays hard and has some ability as a defender. I'm not suggesting I am sold on him but I'm interested.

He's Josh Okogie but lankier.

See, they could take any project and it would be on this team to prove they can develop #11 or #43 or whoever, but there has to be a payoff, and if realistically he becomes Stanley Johnson it's not worth it.

I'm waiting for Q to weigh in on some of these guys with his BS meter. You are right if Nassir or another guy for that matter ends up as a Stanley Johnson guy yeah it's not worth it. Personally I think Okogie is a little different athlete than Nassir. He is quicker while being strong. Nassir is bigger and more powerful but not as twitchy. That is one of the negatives I've seem from a couple scouting reports also. Back to Stanley Johnson he turns 23 tomorrow and really if he could just shoot he would be a solid player. He was a good FT shooter in college and shot the 3 at 37%. Q had concerns about him asking what was he actually good at. I think he is an above average defender that's about it. I think he is achy that would be a solid bench guy on a cheap deal think a Wes Johnson type but I suppose there is still a small chance he becomes the next Aminu or something. His qualifying offer is just under 4.5 million. Depending on what the Pels roster looks like I don't know if they even offer that much to make him a RFA...Thimking about all this...I feel like almost every year I end up thinking we should trade down. Lol
Monster

Post by Monster »

I listened to the Dunc'd on podcast this morning and then later was thinking about the roster and what could be done with it this offseason. It led me to looking at things a bit differently when considering this draft...sorta.

In short I was thinking about signing a FA wing this offseason with whatever money the Wolves could come up with. I thought about a younger guy that maybe hasn't really put it all together. I also started thinking about the opportunity here. The wing spot has a bunch of guys including Covington Wiggins Okogie KBD maybe Cam and also Rose or whatever PH sized guys are still on the roster playing some SG. Then you have the possibility of drafting a wing in the first round or even in the 2nd round or both. I'm not saying the wing depth/talent is so awesome that we shouldn't be looking at a shooter in FA but...that's a lot of guys although some could play PF in small ball lineups etc.

So let's say hypothetically the wings available at #11 are guys you don't feel strongly about realizing their potential (sort of boom or bust guys) or more of guys that can be role players. It doesn't seem there will be PG types or ball handling shot creator guys available at #11 so now what? The reality is a year from now we could have nobody at PG. do you trade down for a chance at someone that could be at least have a chance while being a possible cheap backup? You could get another prospect maybe a big or something or another wing player. The Wolves needs in no particular order, shot creation, shooting, defense, some added toughness and passing. Maybe there is a guy at #11 that is too good to pass up for whatever reason. Right now with the limited information I have done nobody really pops especially based on where guys would go. Everyone has some legit questions. I watched some highlights of Kevin Porter and his offense looked pretty good as well as some nice athletic ability. I haven't read what all his issues are but they must be something because I've read that shouts consider him a top 5 talent in this draft and one said he thinks he is the most talented offensive player in the whole draft...yes above Zion.

Ultimately my point is that I think there is a chance to be creative (especially the way the roster is constructed) if that player doesn't become apparent on the draft board at #11. Adding Gupta to the front office it feels like all options will actually be on the table. That addition may have made me more interested than I have for weeks maybe even months and yet I have practically no clue what direction the Wolves should go at this point.

Take a big; Clarke or doumbouya

With the second, go for the homerun with Jalen lecque; an uber athletic scoring pg who declared out of high school.
kekgeek

Post by kekgeek »

Herro and Windler (from Belmont) are probably my 2 favorite dudes. I don't like this draft at all but both are knock down shooters who have potential to be both playmakers.

Always can use shooting and they could be the best 2 shooters in the draft
WildWolf2813

Post by WildWolf2813 »

I'm still on board with paying Angel Delgado money this summer to back up or even take over for Saric before drafting a big, but I'm aiming high and I can see the Clippers matching Delgado.