Timberwolves Draft Prospect Analysis Thread

Any And All Things T-Wolves Related
Camden [enjin:6601484]

Re: Timberwolves Draft Prospect Analysis Thread

Post by Camden [enjin:6601484] »

There needs to be some clarification on this board. So, I've read multiple times that this team needs another All-Star talent to pair with Towns, but it's honestly more specific than that. We need an All-Star perimeter player to pair with Towns. Right now we just don't have that guy and we need that much more than we need an All-Star big.
Lipoli390

Post by Lipoli390 »

Camden wrote:There needs to be some clarification on this board. So, I've read multiple times that this team needs another All-Star talent to pair with Towns, but it's honestly more specific than that. We need an All-Star perimeter player to pair with Towns. Right now we just don't have that guy and we need that much more than we need an All-Star big.

I agree, Cam. Our primary need is an all-star caliber PG or wing. But I'd rather have an all-star caliber big than another basic rotation role player on the perimeter. Towns can play either C or PF. Moreover, his elite three-point shooting and full skill set (as yet untapped) would allow this team to flourish with another all-star caliber big. For example, this team would be a heck of a team if KAT were paired with Anthony Davis, wouldn't it?

I also continue to believe that Okogie has a good chance of becoming an all-star caliber wing for the Wolves. Think about it. How many wings in this draft have any of the following: 7'0 wingspan; 33" standing vertical; 42.5" max vertical; 3.04 3/4 sprint time; 3.02 shuttle run time, 38% college 3-point percentage on at least 4 attempts per game; 82% ft percentage on nearly 7 fouls shots per game; 1 block; 1.8 steals and 18.2 points per game? You'd be hard-pressed to find a wing in this year's draft who has two of these. Okogie had all of them as a college sophomore. Then add Okogie's high-octane motor and defensive intensity to the equation. Accordingly, I'd say we have a much better chance of getting our all-star caliber wing through Okogie's development than through the draft acquisition of any perimeter player likely to be available at #11 this year.

Having said that, I don't see any like all-star bigs among those likely to be available at #11 this year either. But I'm hoping that our newly upgraded front office can spot and draft that second all-star to pair with KAT. In other words, I expect this front office to finally do better than Lip and Cam at assessing draft talent. Based on history and common sense, it's likely that a future all-star or two or three will be available when the Wolves are on the clock. My point is this. If the Wolves see more than one such player and one is a wing or PG, then that's who they should draft. However, if the Wolves see only one such player and he's a big, I say they should take him as then challenge Ryan and KAT to make it work.
KG4Ever

Post by KG4Ever »

We should draft the guy with the best potential regardless of position. I think this draft is very weak on point guards and even guards in general and next year's draft is loaded, so it may be better to draft a guard next year. I don't see any guards I'd want to draft at 11. The best prospects in our range appear to be Doumbouya, Bitadze, Hachimura, Clarke, Fernando, Jaxson Hayes and possibly Bol and while most of these guys are rawer than usual for a lottery pick, I will have to trust in Rosas and company to figure out who they can develop into a key player.
KG4Ever

Post by KG4Ever »

Anybody got any love for Matisse Thybulle? His stats are pretty impressive on the defensive end, 3.5 steals and 2.3 blocks per game and he was named Pac-12 & Naismith defensive player of the year. He's 6"5 with a 7"1 foot wingspan. He can shoot 3s too (averaging 1.4 per game at 36.2%). Maybe another Covington? Edit: seems he probably is a late first rounder given that he skipped combine based on a first round promise: though if we traded 11 with Boston for their two picks, he might be worth considering with the latter pick]
crazy-canuck [enjin:18955461]

Post by crazy-canuck [enjin:18955461] »

Watching the playoffs, the more I want the wolves to draft Clarke.

An active pf that switches, can defend inside and out, and can rebound to start transition opportunities.

Having a green, siakam type wound do wonders for us
kekgeek

Post by kekgeek »

I'm 100% on Dylan Windler from Belmont. I don't care that he is projected as a late 1st.

6'8 big body wing, that is a good athlete, elite 3 pt shooter on 7 attempts per game. He averaged 20, 11 and 4 his senior year. Also massively improved his FTs his senior year.

He scored 35 and 11 in the NCAA tournament against Maryland.

Had great games against Murray state both games. A double double against UCLA. He did struggle against Purdue though but still had 14 rebounds.

He's my guy.
kekgeek

Post by kekgeek »

crazy-canuck wrote:Watching the playoffs, the more I want the wolves to draft Clarke.

An active pf that switches, can defend inside and out, and can rebound to start transition opportunities.

I'm just worried about guys who are known for defense translating to the NBA. Clarke is oldest guy in the draft, I'm just worried how a none shooter pairs with KAT. I mean Lineups with Tyus, okogie and Clarke are all below average shooters.

I am just always worried about guys who were supposed to be good at defense because guys like gorgui, kat, Wiggins, brewer were all supposed to be above average defenders and well they aren't. And guys like Rubio and tyus where supposed to be bad on D and they both are pretty good.

Just think it's risky drafting an old guy who makes a living on hustle and athleticism and not natural basketball skill
AbeVigodaLive

Post by AbeVigodaLive »

kekgeek1 wrote:
crazy-canuck wrote:Watching the playoffs, the more I want the wolves to draft Clarke.

I'm just worried about guys who are known for defense translating to the NBA. Clarke is oldest guy in the draft, I'm just worried how a none shooter pairs with KAT. I mean Lineups with Tyus, okogie and Clarke are all below average shooters.

I am just always worried about guys who were supposed to be good at defense because guys like gorgui, kat, Wiggins, brewer were all supposed to be above average defenders and well they aren't. And guys like Rubio and tyus where supposed to be bad on D and they both are pretty good.

Just think it's risky drafting an old guy who makes a living on hustle and athleticism and not natural basketball skill

To be fair, isn't every pick after #2 pretty risky?

There are just so many unknowns with these guys, even in a normal year. This year seems to be taking on a vibe of even more so with teams just as likely to find a gem at #27 as at #6.

The age thing no longer bothers me, especially with a guy like Clarke who showed steady improvement (and allegedly has more ceiling to reach). By all reports, he's incredibly versatile defensively. That seems like a very good thing. Being able to stretch out to the three point line would be nice, but if he had shown that already, he wouldn't be available for the Wolves.

So the question becomes whether his revamped form and improvement is legit with room to get better. Because I like the kid defensively as a really switchy, athletic guy.
bleedspeed

Post by bleedspeed »

Quick update. I blew out the side of my Nike shoe doing squats. So I am likely to go in the top 5 now. That means I hopefully will push a better prospect down.
Monster

Post by Monster »

bleedspeed177 wrote:Quick update. I blew out the side of my Nike shoe doing squats. So I am likely to go in the top 5 now. That means I hopefully will push a better prospect down.

Excellent news! I spotted a couple scouts at the charity 10k I did last weekend so I think I may have moved up to the top half of the 2nd round. I ran my fastest mile since I started running a few years ago so...