Timberwolves Draft Prospect Analysis Thread

Any And All Things T-Wolves Related
Lipoli390

Re: Timberwolves Draft Prospect Analysis Thread

Post by Lipoli390 »

KG4Ever wrote:Doogie tweet:
Expected first round picks scheduled to visit the Wolves, or that have visited already: White, Doumbouya, Washington, K. Johnson, Little, Clarke, and Herro.

Disappointing that Langford, Claxton and Alexander-Walker aren't included. I'm not a K. Johnson or Washington fan.
Monster

Post by Monster »

KG4Ever wrote:
khans2k5 wrote:
KG4Ever wrote:@Babkock18: You have your "guy" you want Wolves to draft at 11 yet Doogie? I'm really warming up to Herro.

@DWolfsonKSTP: Doumbouya or ideally move down and acquire an extra asset. A few NBA folks have told me 10-30ish is not that much different.

Funny, I am kind of in same camp, draft Doumbouya if he is available at 11 or trade 11 for two first rounders.

If 10-30 are in the same quality group who's trading 2 for 1 in that scenario? That makes no sense for anyone to trade 2 picks to move up for 1 if 10-30 is not much different.

Teams that don't have roster room for multiple picks like Boston or teams that want a specific guy that they are afraid to lose.

Boston has like 7 guys locked in for next season. The bottom line is that as Wolfson has pointed out (other draft analysts concur) there could be 20 guys with hardly any separation. We might be picking a guy at #11 that COULD even be a 2nd rounder. I think there will be teams still willing to go up and get their guy though. It could be a wild night of teams trading around to who gets the best leftover cold sandwiches. Lol
Monster

Post by Monster »

lipoli390 wrote:
Expected first round picks scheduled to visit the Wolves, or that have visited already: White, Doumbouya, Washington, K. Johnson, Little, Clarke, and Herro.

Disappointing that Langford, Claxton and Alexander-Walker aren't included. I'm not a K. Johnson or Washington fan.

That doesn't mean those guys can't come in later. It's also possible some of those guys have other spots they want to land. NA Walker is a guy that intrigues me quite a bit. Has some ceiling but his floor seems pretty good. Sam Vincenie has been taking up Claxton for a while. Maybe not quite as high and you have gotten Lip but he really likes him. I'll Have to check him out before the draft happens. Personally I think Washington is a bit underrated but he needs to go to the right fit. I don't think the Wolves are the right fit but I think he has talent.
Monster

Post by Monster »

lipoli390 wrote:
monsterpile wrote:
KG4Ever wrote:Darren Wolfson tweeted:

Interesting, Part II: Doumbouya will visit Minnesota and the #Twolves early next week.
@NBADraftWass notes that Doumbouya will have a Pro Day tomorrow. He's been stationed in Dallas.

The videos I saw on twitter today from Dallas...no way he falls to #11. I'd think we will have to give up something pretty decent to go up and get him.

I haven't seen those videos yet. The highlights of seen from his Euro play are good, but didn't blow me away. But based on what I've read about him and knowing how young he is, I'd say he's a very high upside prospect. I'm haven't a hard time getting a sense of where guys will fall after the first 3 picks. Most mocks have White and Doumbouya gone before the Wolves pick at #11. But I could easily see one of those two if not both being available at #11. The only guys I would predict not having any chance of being available at #11 would be Zion, Morant, Barrett, Garland, Culver and Hunter. I could see any of the following getting taken with the next 4 picks before the Wolves are on the clock:

1. White
2. Doumbouya
3. Reddish
4. Little
5. Hayes
6. Hachimura
7. Clarke
8. Claxton
9. Romeo Langford.

The only two of these nine I would not even consider would be Reddish and Hayes. Reddish is one giant red flag based on both his college stats and all that's been written about him. Hayes is, in my view, vastly overrated as a prospect. Watching him play, he strikes me has stiff and mechanical with very poor instincts. And as it turns out, he's not all that long for an NBA center with a 9'2.5 overhead reach and his 27" standing vertical isn't particularly impressive.

Of all these, Claxton, Doumbouya and Langford are the ones who intrigue me the most.

I'm growing increasingly fond of Claxton the more I watch his videos, review his stats and read about him. He has roughly the same overhead reach as Hayes (9'2) and his 4.5 more inches than Hayes on his standing vertical. But what really impresses me is the way he plays and the way he handles the ball at his size. I love the energy and intensity he shows on the court - on both ends. And he handles the ball with a level of control and finesse you rarely see in a player his size. He changes speed and direction with the ball with his head up. He attacks the bucket from both left and right and he seems equally comfortable putting the ball up underneath with either hand. His standing vertical at the combine speaks for itself. But his bounce off the floor becomes even more apparent when you watch him play. He has that same quick bounce I remember seeing in John Collins.

I don't have much to go on projecting Doumbouya, but I've fallen prey to the Euro hype surrounding him. NBA scouts are obviously really high on him given where he lands in every mock draft. And his strong statistical finish Euro League play was impressive.

I don't think I've seen Romeo Langford above 12 in any mock draft so far. And I get why. His 3-point shooting as a freshman was terrible at 27.2%. And his free-throw shooting was underwhelming at 72.2%. But you have to consider that he played almost the entire season with a broken finger. It's also important to keep in mind he was a freshman. I'll add that his 45% field goal shooting wasn't bad. I'll also think his 5.4 rebounds is pretty impressive for a freshman wing. He has terrific length for a SG with a 8'7 overhead reach and 6'11 wingspan. But what really intrigues me is watching him play. He looks the part of a top NBA player the way he glides so effortlessly and gets off the floor so quickly with the ball. Although he struggled from behind the arc, he has a nice looking stroke and clearly has NBA 3-point range. He's a pretty big risk, but in my view a very high reward prospect at #11.

If I had to pick today, my choice at #11 would be Claxton. Most mocks have him getting picked in the later teens or 20s. If we could trade down for two picks and get him that would be great. But I don't think he'll last much past 11 and I'm beginning to think he be taken ahead of us.

Ok I did my basic research on Claxton and yeah I'm plenty intrigued now. What I differ on is I don't think he is as twitchy athletically as John Collins. I see him more as a Siakam guy. He played last year for Tom Crean so that's not too bad. The rebounding is kinda meh but if he really did play a lot on the perimeter and if they used a switching concept then it would make sense why he got a few less. That team must have played slow. They had 2 guys that scored in double figures (one of them only played like 24 mpg) they didn't score much and teams didn't score a lot either. What that usually means is a team that plays slow is they aren't a god offensive team. If the best option to play PG was a 6'11" guy well...what else do you need to know? Lol I like the talent but why wasn't he more productive after watching those highlights? I'm guessing there was a lot of meh times too. Isaiah Roby is a guy i saw a lot of of the last 3 years at Nebraska. He is nice player can do a lot of stuff seems like a good guy (not as long as Claxton) but he sorta doesn't always play up to his ability. Then sometimes the guy just is everywhere doing all kinds of stuff. He has a shot that looks fine but he passes up 3's often which is at times maddening. Of course he was also playing as basically a center which was both good and bad. John Collins was a guy that it felt like you were going to at least get a guy that could finish around the rim and rebound. A guy like Claxton or Roby you might get a guy that does a lot of things maybe even he really good. Or they might just be guys. Claxton I like better because he is longer and actually apparently was a key initiator of offense although Roby had led the ball some as well. Tim Miles would let lots of people have the ball in their hands. Whoever the Wolves take they will likely need to actually really develop them which is obvious but not exactly something we are used to.
Lipoli390

Post by Lipoli390 »

monsterpile wrote:
lipoli390 wrote:

That doesn't mean those guys can't come in later. It's also possible some of those guys have other spots they want to land. NA Walker is a guy that intrigues me quite a bit. Has some ceiling but his floor seems pretty good. Sam Vincenie has been taking up Claxton for a while. Maybe not quite as high and you have gotten Lip but he really likes him. I'll Have to check him out before the draft happens. Personally I think Washington is a bit underrated but he needs to go to the right fit. I don't think the Wolves are the right fit but I think he has talent.

I'm disappointed they're not mentioned as coming here. If they come here later, I'd feel better. But they don't have to come here for a visit for the Wolves to draft them.

You should definitely take a long look at Claxton. Watch the scouting video of him against Hayes. It shows the bad and the good. I came away really impressed by what I saw. He has huge upside.

I haven't been a Washington fan having seen him play several times this season. But I'll take another look. He gets a lot of pretty positive draft reviews.
Hicks123 [enjin:6700838]

Post by Hicks123 [enjin:6700838] »

I think it's funny how down site analysts are on a guy like Hunter. The consensus as I have read a ton of mocks and such.....almost certain to be a very good player......ready to help immediately....high floor type guy.....probably not an all-star type player.

Now, let's look at the reality of where he will be drafted. Based on mock drafts, and where I think, he will be in the 5-7 range. Past draft picks in that range:
2018 - Too early
2017 - Fox, Isaac, Markkanen
2016 - Dunn, Hield, Murray
2015 - Hezonja, Cauley-Stein, Mudiay
2014 - Exum, Smart, Randle
2013 - Len, Noel, McLemore
2012 - Robinson, Lillard, Barnes
2011 - Valanciunus, Vesely, Biyambo
2010 - Cousins, Udoh, Monroe

In that total list over 8 years and 24 players, I would trade the potential of Hunter as a solid role player for only 4-5 guys on that list. I guess as I see it, maybe a guy that can come in and be a solid starter for 10 years out of the 5-7 draft spot isn't that bad.

I think the good news as I look through past drafts is that our likelihood of getting a solid player at 11 isn't much different historically than having the 5-7 pick.
AbeVigodaLive

Post by AbeVigodaLive »

Hicks123 wrote:I think it's funny how down site analysts are on a guy like Hunter. The consensus as I have read a ton of mocks and such.....almost certain to be a very good player......ready to help immediately....high floor type guy.....probably not an all-star type player.

Now, let's look at the reality of where he will be drafted. Based on mock drafts, and where I think, he will be in the 5-7 range. Past draft picks in that range:
2018 - Too early
2017 - Fox, Isaac, Markkanen
2016 - Dunn, Hield, Murray
2015 - Hezonja, Cauley-Stein, Mudiay
2014 - Exum, Smart, Randle
2013 - Len, Noel, McLemore
2012 - Robinson, Lillard, Barnes
2011 - Valanciunus, Vesely, Biyambo
2010 - Cousins, Udoh, Monroe

In that total list over 8 years and 24 players, I would trade the potential of Hunter as a solid role player for only 4-5 guys on that list. I guess as I see it, maybe a guy that can come in and be a solid starter for 10 years out of the 5-7 draft spot isn't that bad.

I think the good news as I look through past drafts is that our likelihood of getting a solid player at 11 isn't much different historically than having the 5-7 pick.

It's boring to play it safe.

Nobody is going to rip an analyst for downplaying a safe, but only potentially solid Hunter. And you can't use that to market yourself or your site. Nobody is going to remember that you dropped him.

But if you hit on some random guy with potential... you can bring it up over and over again...
Lipoli390

Post by Lipoli390 »

Latest speculation is that the Wolves have made a commitment to take Hachimura at #11 if he's still available. I just can't see drafting a player who had only 6.5 rebounds and 0.7 blocks in 30 minutes as 3rd year college PF. He has no track meaningful record as a 3-point shooter since he only took 1 shot per game from behind the arc last season. And his 74% free-throw shooting doesn't suggest the makings of a good perimeter shooter. So I have to hope this speculation is wrong or simply part of a Wolves ruse to entice teams to trade up for the Wolves pick.
crazy-canuck [enjin:18955461]

Post by crazy-canuck [enjin:18955461] »

lipoli390 wrote:Latest speculation is that the Wolves have made a commitment to take Hachimura at #11 if he's still available. I just can't see drafting a player who had only 6.5 rebounds and 0.7 blocks in 30 minutes as 3rd year college PF. He has no track meaningful record as a 3-point shooter since he only took 1 shot per game from behind the arc last season. And his 74% free-throw shooting doesn't suggest the makings of a good perimeter shooter. So I have to hope this speculation is wrong or simply part of a Wolves ruse to entice teams to trade up for the Wolves pick.

we are also working out guys that shouldnt be in our range like White and Doumbouya. White was one of those guys that was rumored to have a promise in the top 6.

Cant see why the agents would let these guys come in unless they know something.

I watched some Rui while watching clarke, and the first thing you notice is that his defense is really, bad. Hes not the "i dont want to do more when I can do more" type defense that we see from wiggins, its more the "I have no idea whats happening, so I wont bother" defense we see from Lavine.
Hicks123 [enjin:6700838]

Post by Hicks123 [enjin:6700838] »

crazy-canuck wrote:
lipoli390 wrote:Latest speculation is that the Wolves have made a commitment to take Hachimura at #11 if he's still available. I just can't see drafting a player who had only 6.5 rebounds and 0.7 blocks in 30 minutes as 3rd year college PF. He has no track meaningful record as a 3-point shooter since he only took 1 shot per game from behind the arc last season. And his 74% free-throw shooting doesn't suggest the makings of a good perimeter shooter. So I have to hope this speculation is wrong or simply part of a Wolves ruse to entice teams to trade up for the Wolves pick.

we are also working out guys that shouldnt be in our range like White and Doumbouya. White was one of those guys that was rumored to have a promise in the top 6.

Cant see why the agents would let these guys come in unless they know something.

I watched some Rui while watching clarke, and the first thing you notice is that his defense is really, bad. Hes not the "i dont want to do more when I can do more" type defense that we see from wiggins, its more the "I have no idea whats happening, so I wont bother" defense we see from Lavine.

Yeah, I just can't see a position the Wolves take Rui. He simply doesn't fit anything we need....mainly strong defenders and 3 point shooting. Feels like pure speculation.

That being said, he feels a bit offensively like a Tobias Harris type. I think the guy is a legit offensive talent.....certainly needs to get a TON better defensively and needs to expand shooting range. I think he deserves a spot right around where we pick.....just doesn't fit any needs for Wolves team. Maybe Wolves trade down with team that has interest? Can't hurt to put out speculation.