We have 2 players shooting <20% from 3. And they are #5 and #6 in MPG

Any And All Things T-Wolves Related
fondey [enjin:6644772]

We have 2 players shooting <20% from 3. And they are #5 and #6 in MPG

Post by fondey [enjin:6644772] »

You can probably guess the 2 players are Ricky Rubio and Josh Okogie.

Josh Okogie is still only 22 years old on a rookie contract. He brings energy on both ends of the court and does a lot of little things well. He's shown he can be useful in transition, and you can still hope he improves enough on the offensive side of the court to become a Defensive-focused wing. He already fits a mold similar to Andre Roberson or Bruce Bowen who can make a positive impact without scoring.

Meanwhile, I am just so confused why Ricky Rubio is back on the Timberwolves. He's 30 years old making $17 Mil a year for 2 years. If we are trying to be a 3 point shooting team that spaces the court, why did we trade for Rubio? He's regressed at the 3 point line this year and he clearly lacks confidence in his 3 point shooting...again, which means you either put the ball in his hands or have him be a liability from beyond the arc.

More than that though, his playmaking ability doesn't win you games. Defenses have figured him out by now. They know he wants to pass it and even when a lane is open for him, he's rarely capitalizing on it. His finishing at the rim is still awful. We've seen how pairing Rubio with D-lo or Mclaughlin is not working, and it puts unneeded pressure figuring out how to get Rubio minutes every night without sacrificing other playmakers on the team. At this point, I'd actually be happy if Rubio got injured for the year so we can see what our other younger guys can do. Everyone knows what Rubio is at this stage of his career, and I never saw how he'd be a good fit on this team from the moment we traded him. The only explanation I can come up with is our strategy was to tank this year for a "chance" to keep our draft pick and Rubio is leading the way.
Q12543 [enjin:6621299]

Re: We have 2 players shooting <20% from 3. And they are #5 and #6 in MPG

Post by Q12543 [enjin:6621299] »

The reason Rosas got Rubio is because of how he saw young, dynamic guards that he played with take a big leap while playing next to him, specifically Donovan Mitchell and Devin Booker. Also, no one expected Rubio to play this poorly. He was a big part of Phoenix's surge last year and had a very solid year from beyond the arc. What on earth happened to him since then is beyond me. Covid? Age? Lazy offseason? Who knows.

In hindsight it looks like a bad deal, but I don't think it was totally without merit at the time.
Porckchop

Post by Porckchop »

Ricky's success as a player is dependent on the success of other players. If you pair him with players that can't shoot he's pretty close to useless. Phoenix and Utah had a couple shooters and players that know how to score in multiple ways.
D-Mac [enjin:19736340]

Post by D-Mac [enjin:19736340] »

Q12543 wrote:The reason Rosas got Rubio is because of how he saw young, dynamic guards that he played with take a big leap while playing next to him, specifically Donovan Mitchell and Devin Booker. Also, no one expected Rubio to play this poorly. He was a big part of Phoenix's surge last year and had a very solid year from beyond the arc. What on earth happened to him since then is beyond me. Covid? Age? Lazy offseason? Who knows.

In hindsight it looks like a bad deal, but I don't think it was totally without merit at the time.

We don't have anyone close to the same ballpark as either of those guys unfortunately.