Any And All Things T-Wolves Related
Coolbreeze44

Re: Wolves offseason thread

Post by Coolbreeze44 »

thedoper wrote:
lipoli390 wrote:
thedoper wrote:
lipoli390 wrote:
thedoper wrote:I still don't get how KAT's effort can't be criticized but Wiggins' can. It's silly. KAT completely shits the bed on routine and get's out worked by bigs who crash the glass (see Capela in the playoffs). The fact is they're both young and learning what it takes to be successful in the league. I see growth from both of them, albeit slow growth. Jimmy is right in criticizing both of them, but has no idea how to turn criticism into a change of behavior with his public display. I think both KAT and Wiggins probably believe they're giving it their all because they work hard in practice, in the off season, and have a lot of responsibility for young players during games. You can't expect them to know anything outside of their experience. I wish Jimmy would be more open and invite KAT and Wiggins to work with him all summer, but it's not in his nature right now. Ultimately I see everything as very simple communication issues that will be solved once they all see eachother. This team simply needs to get back into training camp and pre-camp workout and hash it out. Too much boredom right now.

I think there's a big difference between KAT and Wiggins when it comes to effort. But otherwise I agree with you in having no problem with Butler criticizing either one for failing to live up to his level of effort. My problem is with Jimmy's public criticism, especially his indirect use of a media crony followed by his video antics. As you said, Jimmy needs to figure out how to make constructive use of his take on the level of effort he sees in these guys. The problem is that he's 29 years old and had a similar problem relating to teammates in Chicago. What you suggested he should do is obvious. The fact that Jimmy didn't do what you're suggesting and chose instead to simply vent to a media crony tells us it's unlikley he'll take the right approach or that he even wants to.

I think after last year the on court effort of KAT and Wiggins is pretty much on par. I still believe if Wiggins' shot was falling we wouldn't hear anything about his effort. To me both of these players have huge lapses on the court, you can call it effort or motor or a lack of concentration, but it's just splitting hairs.

As for the Butler issue, just don't think it's too far gone. The boredom of summer combined with social media and the 24/7 news cycle is making this seem way more complicated than it is. An hour over a drink can easily smooth this over. If the Wolves want to hire me to mediate I'm available.

The notion that KAT and Wiggins were on par last season in competitiveness and effort is way off the mark in my view. I was talking with another season ticket holder about this at lunch today and he thought Butler's criticism of KAT's effort was insane. That's from another person who, like me and LST, have seen these guys live a lot.

I agree with you, however, that the Butler/chemistry issue can be addressed. It take a physical altercation in practice to start the process, but ultimately if these guys are about winning, they'll figure it out. The guy who is unwilling to move on from this and have his teammate's back is the guy I'd want to get rid of. But like you, I don't see it coming to that.

I've been to a ton of nba games and was a former wolves season ticket holder when I lived in Minnesota and never had the unique ability to know the differences in effort you claim to see. I haven't noticed a difference in all those years of recognizing changed effort in person or on the television. But if it works as evidence for you great. The result is still that KAT is a shitty defender in spite of all his hubris. Saying he tries harder because you have season tickets is kind of a silly argument for me.

I'd go as far as to say Wig expended more energy than KAT on defense last year. Wig was much improved in keeping his man in front of him and getting around screens. Here is how I would rate Wig's weaknesses in order of significance:

1) His hands are terrible - this is by far his greatest limiting factor
2) He still struggles defensively in team concepts and getting in passing lanes
3) His outside shot struggled all year
4) He doesn't fight his teammates for rebounds in an attempt to boost his numbers
5) He was too comfortable watching Butler and Teague dribble the air out of the ball down to the last few seconds of the shot clock. He has to take a more alpha approach and not settle for being a bystander.

But Doper is right. If his shooting percentage and free throw woes improve this year, suddenly his effort won't be talked about as much. It's not easy for a 22 year old kid to lead the NBA in minutes and stay hyperactive on every possession. It's also not easy to play in 82 games which he does routinely.
Monster

Post by Monster »

Wolfson's chat on his podcast with Glen Taylor had a couple interesting moments. Glen said that the guys they mentioned to him they are looking at signing for the vet min are younger guys they hope can improve. That sounds like Pat Connaughton Treveon Graham types. I actually like that better than some of the vets out there probably more than Brewer who I spent a few minutes watching highlights of him the last couple years. How whistful it was... his overall RPM last year was not good it was in Bazz territory. Glen said these young guys were also guy that profile as defensive players. If they can sign 2 youngerish players that shoot 3's and can defend...well damn everyone is gonna be very happy. Lol
60WinTim

Post by 60WinTim »

monsterpile wrote:Wolfson's chat on his podcast with Glen Taylor had a couple interesting moments. Glen said that the guys they mentioned to him they are looking at signing for the vet min are younger guys they hope can improve. That sounds like Pat Connaughton Treveon Graham types. I actually like that better than some of the vets out there probably more than Brewer who I spent a few minutes watching highlights of him the last couple years. How whistful it was... his overall RPM last year was not good it was in Bazz territory. Glen said these young guys were also guy that profile as defensive players. If they can sign 2 youngerish players that shoot 3's and can defend...well damn everyone is gonna be very happy. Lol

I guess it is not surprising. Thibs tendency is to run out a 9-man rotation. Well, he's got nine guys already penciled in, and that is not include the rookies. A lot of vet guys who might be willing to take the vet minimum are still gonna want to play.
Q12543 [enjin:6621299]

Post by Q12543 [enjin:6621299] »

I'd certainly drop the "Wiggins has a crappy motor" complaint if he actually took better shots and made them more often. At this point, give me a 38% 3 point shooter with some decent volume and 78% free throw shooter and I'm a happy camper, even though he'd still be an underachiever. What he can't be is what he has been the past four seasons - a mediocre shooter that takes crappy shots that also doesn't make the extra effort his physical profile should allow. He has to do something well to justify the gobs of money we're paying him!
Q12543 [enjin:6621299]

Post by Q12543 [enjin:6621299] »

60WinTim wrote:
monsterpile wrote:Wolfson's chat on his podcast with Glen Taylor had a couple interesting moments. Glen said that the guys they mentioned to him they are looking at signing for the vet min are younger guys they hope can improve. That sounds like Pat Connaughton Treveon Graham types. I actually like that better than some of the vets out there probably more than Brewer who I spent a few minutes watching highlights of him the last couple years. How whistful it was... his overall RPM last year was not good it was in Bazz territory. Glen said these young guys were also guy that profile as defensive players. If they can sign 2 youngerish players that shoot 3's and can defend...well damn everyone is gonna be very happy. Lol

I guess it is not surprising. Thibs tendency is to run out a 9-man rotation. Well, he's got nine guys already penciled in, and that is not include the rookies. A lot of vet guys who might be willing to take the vet minimum are still gonna want to play.

And your four bench guys are Tyus, Rose, Tolliver, and Dieng? I wonder if he'll play Tolliver at some 3,...
Monster

Post by Monster »

Q12543 wrote:
60WinTim wrote:

And your four bench guys are Tyus, Rose, Tolliver, and Dieng? I wonder if he'll play Tolliver at some 3,...

I think Okogie and KBD are both gonna have to suck pretty bad to not get any regular run this year.

As for the Wolves going after young guys because vets might want to play Wolfson continues to say Brewer would sign the minute he was offered a vet min deal here. Of course some of that might be knowing he should take any vet min deal offered because he would be fortunate to get a roster spot but yeah I think some guys would come here. Some young players want to get playing time also. If the Wolves go for some younger less proven guys it would be the 2nd offseason in a row that they went that route to finish off the roster. Last year it was Bazz and MGH before adding Brooks late. Last year they got burned with the Bazz signing hopefully they add someone better and likely someone that fits the roster better. One thing that helps is last offseason I think they valued Tyus as a prospect and player but they wanted a guy that could step in if needed. They don't need that with Brooks Tyus showed he was plenty capable of being a backup and spot starter. that combined with Rose as a possible option to play at PG they can go with another younger/development player on the roster.
Lipoli390

Post by Lipoli390 »

thedoper wrote:
lipoli390 wrote:
thedoper wrote:
lipoli390 wrote:
thedoper wrote:I still don't get how KAT's effort can't be criticized but Wiggins' can. It's silly. KAT completely shits the bed on routine and get's out worked by bigs who crash the glass (see Capela in the playoffs). The fact is they're both young and learning what it takes to be successful in the league. I see growth from both of them, albeit slow growth. Jimmy is right in criticizing both of them, but has no idea how to turn criticism into a change of behavior with his public display. I think both KAT and Wiggins probably believe they're giving it their all because they work hard in practice, in the off season, and have a lot of responsibility for young players during games. You can't expect them to know anything outside of their experience. I wish Jimmy would be more open and invite KAT and Wiggins to work with him all summer, but it's not in his nature right now. Ultimately I see everything as very simple communication issues that will be solved once they all see eachother. This team simply needs to get back into training camp and pre-camp workout and hash it out. Too much boredom right now.

I think there's a big difference between KAT and Wiggins when it comes to effort. But otherwise I agree with you in having no problem with Butler criticizing either one for failing to live up to his level of effort. My problem is with Jimmy's public criticism, especially his indirect use of a media crony followed by his video antics. As you said, Jimmy needs to figure out how to make constructive use of his take on the level of effort he sees in these guys. The problem is that he's 29 years old and had a similar problem relating to teammates in Chicago. What you suggested he should do is obvious. The fact that Jimmy didn't do what you're suggesting and chose instead to simply vent to a media crony tells us it's unlikley he'll take the right approach or that he even wants to.

I think after last year the on court effort of KAT and Wiggins is pretty much on par. I still believe if Wiggins' shot was falling we wouldn't hear anything about his effort. To me both of these players have huge lapses on the court, you can call it effort or motor or a lack of concentration, but it's just splitting hairs.

As for the Butler issue, just don't think it's too far gone. The boredom of summer combined with social media and the 24/7 news cycle is making this seem way more complicated than it is. An hour over a drink can easily smooth this over. If the Wolves want to hire me to mediate I'm available.

The notion that KAT and Wiggins were on par last season in competitiveness and effort is way off the mark in my view. I was talking with another season ticket holder about this at lunch today and he thought Butler's criticism of KAT's effort was insane. That's from another person who, like me and LST, have seen these guys live a lot.

I agree with you, however, that the Butler/chemistry issue can be addressed. It take a physical altercation in practice to start the process, but ultimately if these guys are about winning, they'll figure it out. The guy who is unwilling to move on from this and have his teammate's back is the guy I'd want to get rid of. But like you, I don't see it coming to that.

I've been to a ton of nba games and was a former wolves season ticket holder when I lived in Minnesota and never had the unique ability to know the differences in effort you claim to see. I haven't noticed a difference in all those years of recognizing changed effort in person or on the television. But if it works as evidence for you great. The result is still that KAT is a shitty defender in spite of all his hubris. Saying he tries harder because you have season tickets is kind of a silly argument for me.

Then just look at KAT's stats. You don't put up those kind of numbers, especially the rebounds, on a consistent basis if you're not giving a consistent big-time effort. As for being in the arena, you should know that you see a lot more than you see on TV. That's what I'm talking about. But again, the numbers tell the tale.
Lipoli390

Post by Lipoli390 »

If it were up to me, I'd sign Beasley and one young guy - probably Connaughton. We need some second unit guys who can score. We don't have a single player I'd call a scorer as part of our bench right now. Beasley is the only unrestricted FA who is a bona fide NBA-level scorer. And you get a bonus from him on the boards because he's also a good rebounder. Neither Connaughton nor Graham has established himself as a reliable 3-point shooter so we can't count on either one as a shooter or scorer off the bench. Unless one or both of our rookies surprises us, I don't think we've significantly improved our bench if we've improved it at all. Tolliver for Belly strikes me as a wash. Rose has yet to prove he can stay healthy for even a quarter of a season and in any event he's nowhere near the player he was before. We had a horrible bench last season and it looks like it will be a terrible or almost as terrible again this season absent the emergence of one or both our rookies.
Porckchop

Post by Porckchop »

lipoli390 wrote:
thedoper wrote:
lipoli390 wrote:
thedoper wrote:
lipoli390 wrote:

Then just look at KAT's stats. You don't put up those kind of numbers, especially the rebounds, on a consistent basis if you're not giving a consistent big-time effort. As for being in the arena, you should know that you see a lot more than you see on TV. That's what I'm talking about. But again, the numbers tell the tale.

I still hold out hope that their defense will improve. You look at the best players in the league and you see that their defense came along much slower than their offensive ability. A lot of pressure is put on these guys to carry the scoring burden . As they learn to get more efficient offensively more energy can be spent on the other end.
Camden [enjin:6601484]

Post by Camden [enjin:6601484] »

"I'd go as far as to say Wig expended more energy than KAT on defense last year."

Well, that's quite a reach in my view, but Wiggins expended more energy than he has in past seasons and at this point that's about all you can realistically ask of him.