1 yr deal
kekgeek

Re: Toliver to the wolves

Post by kekgeek »

Belly officially no longer a wolf. Pulled the QO
Monster

Post by Monster »

Curious to see what the money is but honestly if it was between Tolliver and Belly I would take Tolliver. I wonder if we will have a bit more space to sign another guy with part of the mid-level or if now it's just vet min guys.
kekgeek

Post by kekgeek »

5 to 6 million range
Monster

Post by Monster »

kekgeek1 wrote:5 to 6 million range

That's what I figured. It's funny the jokes about the Clippers going after him and not getting him. I'm guessing we offered money a role and as it has been reported he actually wants to come here. A 1 year deal is a good thing leaves us options. Fire up the vet min deals!!!
Lipoli390

Post by Lipoli390 »

I'd rather have Belly who I think is a much better overall player.

I doubt any other team was going to offer that much for Tolliver. How much did he make last season? He doesn't rebound as well as Belly and isn't nearly the ballhandler or passer Belly is. But I'm happy to have him as a reliable stretch 4 who can hit his threes.
AbeVigodaLive

Post by AbeVigodaLive »

Wait.

So in a league where rotation guys are expected to take discounts left and right... Tolliver is getting a raise?

Ugh.

[Note: Tolliver isn't bad. He's fine. He'll have his moments. I guess in that way he's perfect for this Wolves squad. We know what we're getting when healthy... it'll be fine. Nothing more.]
foye2smith [enjin:6593248]

Post by foye2smith [enjin:6593248] »

Ho-Hum signing. Belly was likely going to get priced out of what the Wolves felt comfortable offering.

Dude let's it fly from 3 at least. Thibs the GM finally listening to Thibs the coach injecting a little more three point shooting in the rotation. I'm surprised Morey has never gone after Tolliver he's one man Morey-ball. According to basketball reference, last season 91.1% of his shots came either at the rim or from three (77% from 3!).
KiwiMatt

Post by KiwiMatt »

I like the signing. Sure it's probably more than I was expecting, but its a 1 year deal so comes off the books this time next year.

I would still like to see us resign Belly. He can play minutes at SF and would give us another excellent 3pt shooter. Now if someone can take Dieng off our hands without fleecing us!
Monster

Post by Monster »

AbeVigodaLive wrote:Wait.

So in a league where rotation guys are expected to take discounts left and right... Tolliver is getting a raise?

Ugh.

[Note: Tolliver isn't bad. He's fine. He'll have his moments. I guess in that way he's perfect for this Wolves squad. We know what we're getting when healthy... it'll be fine. Nothing more.]

He probably didn't take a discount but... (this is gonna be more than you bargain for)

It's a one year deal. Often when guys that only get a 1 year deal get a little more money up front.

Remember he also got paid 2 million from the Kings from his partially guaranteed deal so you COULD say he was paid over 5 million last year. Yep kinda weak but anyway I'll thow it in there.

Tolliver fits this new NBA and is a completely low maintinence dude. Like you said he is gonna do what he can do and won't do more. The guy jacked up over 7 3's per 36 minutes and hit over 40% of them. I'm sure there were a few teams that wanted a guy like that who would just play a role.

This guy is widely regarded as a really good dude around the league. We are probably getting a very good vet to help this team through some stuff. We don't need to pay much for that but it probably helps.

With the way the Wolves have money left under the cap they could have paid Tolliver 4 million...and the extra 1-2 million wouldn't really make any significant difference towards signing another player. Maybe paying him 6 million this year will help towards a discount next year if both parties are up for him to come back. Shrug. If they wanted Tolliver and were willing to pay him more than a million or so over the vet min then just offer what you can and get him on board. Once again this guy was undrafted played in all the leagues and sticking in the NBA getting paid well with teams wanting him. Pretty good stuff.