Toliver to the wolves

Any And All Things T-Wolves Related
WildWolf2813

Re: Toliver to the wolves

Post by WildWolf2813 »

The Wolves paid Tolliver $5.3 mil to be a nice guy who based on the offense we run, will take more of those long twos that make us warm and fuzzy inside. Tolliver shot a lot of 3's because the offense encouraged it. I'll believe he's our sniper when I see it, but it's not just him who needs to keep shooting threes. It's pretty much the entire team.
thedoper

Post by thedoper »

WildWolf2813 wrote:The Wolves paid Tolliver $5.3 mil to be a nice guy who based on the offense we run, will take more of those long twos that make us warm and fuzzy inside. Tolliver shot a lot of 3's because the offense encouraged it. I'll believe he's our sniper when I see it, but it's not just him who needs to keep shooting threes. It's pretty much the entire team.

100% agree.
60WinTim

Post by 60WinTim »

thedoper wrote:
WildWolf2813 wrote:The Wolves paid Tolliver $5.3 mil to be a nice guy who based on the offense we run, will take more of those long twos that make us warm and fuzzy inside. Tolliver shot a lot of 3's because the offense encouraged it. I'll believe he's our sniper when I see it, but it's not just him who needs to keep shooting threes. It's pretty much the entire team.

100% agree.

I do agree that this team needs to make significant improvements in creating 3-point shooting opportunities. But as much as some of you like to bash Thibs, it's way more a function of Wiggins and KAT looking to create those opportunities for teammates rather than jacking up their own shots. That's the part of their game that must improve to bring us out of the 3-point shooting basement.
Monster

Post by Monster »

thedoper wrote:

100% agree.

If you want some real optimism here is Tolliver's shot chart for the 23rd in attempts Sacramento Kings of the 2016-2017 season

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/t/tollian01/shooting/2017

Spoiler alert Tolliver doesn't take many shots that aren't 3's or in the paint and hasn't for years regardless of where he played.
Lipoli390

Post by Lipoli390 »

CoolBreeze44 wrote:Lip, why do you think Belly is an excellent ball handler? He may have been a decent passer but i don't think he could handle the ball at all.

Because he is -- for his size and position.
mrhockey89

Post by mrhockey89 »

I for one like the signing. Though I'd have liked to keep Bjelica too because we need 3-point shooting, I think they're similar levels of player, but I have to admit I didn't love Belly pulling up for early shot clock Steph Curry deep 3's. This still leaves us needing 3 point shooting and more defense (Tolliver can play a bit of D too), but it gives us yet another effort guy who can hit 3's in volume and fit a role this team needs.

If there's a theme to this offseason, I think it's effort-guys. On the bright side, that should make Jimmy happy, since he's complained about lack of effort and hard nosed play. Tolliver, Rose, and Okogie are all known as energy guys.

Ultimately, the west is too thick to have a shot at the Finals with even if some teams at the top had injuries. Seriously, the Warriors, when Cousins gets healthy, will basically have an all-star level backup center. The league needs to do something about teams stacking like this because it's bad for the league, but I digress.
crazy-canuck [enjin:18955461]

Post by crazy-canuck [enjin:18955461] »

lipoli390 wrote:
CoolBreeze44 wrote:Lip, why do you think Belly is an excellent ball handler? He may have been a decent passer but i don't think he could handle the ball at all.

He can handle the ball, but he can't really do anything with it.
Coolbreeze44

Post by Coolbreeze44 »

crazy-canuck wrote:
lipoli390 wrote:

Are we sure we were all watching the same guy? Every time he had the ball in transition my sphincter tightened up until he got rid of it, unless he turned it over first.
Lipoli390

Post by Lipoli390 »

crazy-canuck wrote:
lipoli390 wrote:

I disagree. He's an excellent passer, good rebounder and good 3-point shooter. He's a career 37% 3-point shooter who shot over 40% from behind the arc last season. He averaged 4 rebounds per game in 20 minutes. He put up 30 points and 12 rebounds against the Celtics last season. Now, he's certainly not a great player. But I'd take him over Tolliver any day and I like Tolliver. Thibs loved Belly, but apparently couldn't convince him to stay.
Lipoli390

Post by Lipoli390 »

CoolBreeze44 wrote:
crazy-canuck wrote:
lipoli390 wrote:

Are we sure we were all watching the same guy? Every time he had the ball in transition my sphincter tightened up until he got rid of it, unless he turned it over first.

You must have watched all his bad game, Cool. Or maybe playing on the same team as Wiggins makes his ballhandling look better than it is. :)