AbeVigodaLive

Re: Teams LeBron is considering signing with for 2018/19

Post by AbeVigodaLive »

monsterpile wrote:
AbeVigodaLive wrote:
monsterpile wrote:
AbeVigodaLive wrote:
thedoper wrote:
AbeVigodaLive wrote:This is the new NBA... 24/7... 365 days per year... news cycles that are a goldmine for the NBA and for players' branding efforts.

This will definitely dragged out with leaks from James' camp to fan the flames here and there.

It is what it is at this point.

When the game is this one-sided we need something to talk about. Our commitment to this board speaks loudly about how entertaining non-relevant basketball talk can be. People here talked wolves through 14 years of losing and a good number of the posters here want to go back to the good ole days when we were "developing". The basketball talk has become as entertaining as the game, which has been problematic for me personally. But it's never been more profitable or popular.

Exactly.

The NBA has stolen the NFL model of making a previous seasonal sport a year-round news maker.

It helps A LOT when your best player is able to pick his destination every year. Imagine if Tom Brady or Aaron Rodgers was able to pick where they were going every couple offseasons. It's really rare an actual franchise QB is able to do that in the NFL and that's just one piece of what keeps the NBA interesting in comparison to the NFL.

Sure. And it's why even though I think there are inherent dangers (especially for teams like MN) in the shorter NBA contracts... I think we can expect to see more of them.

More player movement... or rumors of player movement = more publicity/money for the league.

It also depends on if players (espcially the top guys) think they can keep getting more money with the rising cap that's certainly been a big driver of these shorter deals.

Meanwhile the NFL doesn't even have guaranteed contracts (Kirk Cousins is a pioneer!!!) but those NFL guys are trying to lock in as much guaranteed money as they possibly can because literally their career could be over one way or another in months or a couple years. An NBA player of reasonably healthy can still make millions (or a pretty good living) playing in another league if they want to. That opportunity isn't really there as much for NFL players. The talent gap between random player coming into the league and player X who is 27 or whatever (and maybe hasn't even made much money yet) sometimes isn't that big. It's a different sport and the NFL sure has been successful marketing their league although certainly there have been some bad instances. Those 2 leagues have really gotten a lot of mileage out of the year around thing with other leagues lagging pretty far behind.

Yeah, it's interesting because as you mention the career paths in the two leagues are so vastly different.

"Next man up" is more than a mantra in the NFL. It's big business and part of the gladiator culture we've come to know and expect. It might even be why player individuality has been traditionally stomped in the NFL. These guys only have 16 games and there are no guarantees they'll be around next week... or next game. Or even... the next play.

The NBA's entire resurgence was about more than teams and locales. It was about individuals. Bird (white) and Magic (black). Jordan. And now James... with some others in there, obviously.

We've learned that fans will now follow those players wherever they go. Team allegiance is largely provincial in world that's become infinitely smaller with technology.
khans2k5 [enjin:6608728]

Post by khans2k5 [enjin:6608728] »

LeBron should come to the Wolves so he can roll his eyes at KAT every time he plays horrible help defense.
Coolbreeze44

Post by Coolbreeze44 »

The NBA offseason is at least as good if not better than the season itself. Not because the offseason is so great, but because the playing season stinks. If Minnesota didn't have a team I'd watch very little of it. An occasional playoff game and probably the finals. The NHL product is far better during the season.
Camden [enjin:6601484]

Post by Camden [enjin:6601484] »

CoolBreeze44 wrote:The NBA offseason is at least as good if not better than the season itself. Not because the offseason is so great, but because the playing season stinks. If Minnesota didn't have a team I'd watch very little of it. An occasional playoff game and probably the finals. The NHL product is far better during the season.

You can't really believe this with the overwhelming surplus of talent currently in the league. My goodness.
Coolbreeze44

Post by Coolbreeze44 »

Camden wrote:
CoolBreeze44 wrote:The NBA offseason is at least as good if not better than the season itself. Not because the offseason is so great, but because the playing season stinks. If Minnesota didn't have a team I'd watch very little of it. An occasional playoff game and probably the finals. The NHL product is far better during the season.

You can't really believe this with the overwhelming surplus of talent currently in the league. My goodness.

I absolutely do. Don't get me wrong I love the Wolves and never miss a game. And because I have that rooting interest I watch a lot of other NBA games / teams. I love the sport of basketball. It's just that much of what the NBA is all about is very unappealing to me. Things such as:

- The complaining after virtually every single call
- The preferential treatment certain players and certain teams get
- The soft salary cap
- The politics of the players and coaches
- The lack of drama in the regular season and predictability of the post season
- Exaggerated home court advantage
- The league's history of influencing outcomes
- The difficult to watch Iso play style most teams employ
- Tanking at the end of every season
- The marginalization of post play

To put it bluntly the product sucks. I only enjoy it because one team has "Minnesota" in their name.
Monster

Post by Monster »

CoolBreeze44 wrote:
Camden wrote:

I absolutely do. Don't get me wrong I love the Wolves and never miss a game. And because I have that rooting interest I watch a lot of other NBA games / teams. I love the sport of basketball. It's just that much of what the NBA is all about is very unappealing to me. Things such as:

- The complaining after virtually every single call
- The preferential treatment certain players and certain teams get
- The soft salary cap
- The politics of the players and coaches
- The lack of drama in the regular season and predictability of the post season
- Exaggerated home court advantage
- The league's history of influencing outcomes
- The difficult to watch Iso play style most teams employ
- Tanking at the end of every season
- The marginalization of post play

To put it bluntly the product sucks. I only enjoy it because one team has "Minnesota" in their name.

Note that Cool never mentioned talent just the overall product isn't what he enjoys. I like watching the NBA even though my team the Wolves has been very very bad for years. I can totally understand why some people don't enjoy the NBA and would rather watch the college game. I enjoy watching some college games (espcially when I get to watch live in person) but for me it's secondary for me to watching the NBA.
Q12543 [enjin:6621299]

Post by Q12543 [enjin:6621299] »

I gotta believe LeBron is going to want another crack or two at Golden State, but he needs big time help. Does Boston make sense for him? Not sure how much salary they would have to shed and if they could make it work.
khans2k5 [enjin:6608728]

Post by khans2k5 [enjin:6608728] »

Q12543 wrote:I gotta believe LeBron is going to want another crack or two at Golden State, but he needs big time help. Does Boston make sense for him? Not sure how much salary they would have to shed and if they could make it work.

Kyrie is blocking that trade for Ainge. He left Lebron, he didn't leave the Cavs. I would expect Philly to move quickly on David Griffin and make a strong push for him. Even though it sucks for us I would like to see him go to the Spurs. I want to see a coach in Pop who won't put up with Lebron's antics on the floor and who has the respect of the league to do something about it. No more try when you want to and no more of these stretches of petty play when he just passes the ball to a teammate and basically stands around for the other 4 guys to do something. Pop's gonna rest you so you are good for the playoffs. LeBron literally was walking up and down the court for most of this year to preserve energy (Lowe post stat where he traveled the least amount of floor distance by regular starters by far). I want two way Lebron playing in a system and not having a throw away coach where everything falls apart when Lebron is not on the floor. He wants to play with smarter players. Go play for Pop where dumb play isn't tolerated.
thedoper

Post by thedoper »

You got to be able to do something weird to be able build a team to beat GS since they had the huge cap spike to build their dynasty. Lebron needs to sign for the MLE somewhere that could really use a 3rd wing.
Coolbreeze44

Post by Coolbreeze44 »

Lebron definitely wants more cracks at the Warriors. I expect him to go to Houston or possibly Philadelphia. I think he's a better fit with Houston. I don't think the Celtics are a possibility. I dont think he wants to go to the Lakers either. The Celtics have a great thing going and i don't see them wanting to bring in a potential distraction to that.