DLo to the Wolves

Any And All Things T-Wolves Related
TAFKASP

Re: DLo to the Wolves

Post by TAFKASP »

CoolBreeze44 wrote:
crazy-canuck wrote:Forget dlo vs wiggs. Its the draft picks in a good draft with weak protections that will kick us in the ass.

This too. And then we watch the Warriors take a great player with our pick next year.

That's gotta be better than watching the Wolves take exactly the wrong player in next year's draft! LOL
Coolbreeze44

Post by Coolbreeze44 »

TheSP wrote:
CoolBreeze44 wrote:
crazy-canuck wrote:Forget dlo vs wiggs. Its the draft picks in a good draft with weak protections that will kick us in the ass.

This too. And then we watch the Warriors take a great player with our pick next year.

That's gotta be better than watching the Wolves take exactly the wrong player in next year's draft! LOL

:-)
Lipoli390

Post by Lipoli390 »

https://theathletic.com/app/themes/athletic/assets/img/comment-icon@2x.png

This is a really good analysis. I was barely OK with the deal when first announced. But after reading this, I'm closer to Cool on the merits of this deal. We now have two poor defenders and slow plodders as our cornerstones. And while DLO is a better all-around offensive player and 3-point shooter than Wiggins, DLO isn't particularly efficient, doesn't get to the rim much and doesn't have the quickness to break down and draw defenses to him. But we'll see.

Every contending team in the NBA has core of at least two all-stars. We now have a team built around KAT and DLO as our core duo. That's two borderline all-stars who are terrific offensive players. They are both relatively slow and poor defenders. But both are great scorers and very good 3-point shooters. DLO is an upgrade over Wiggins offensively in that he is a MUCH better ball-handler than Wiggins and is a true PG who can facilitate and orchestrate the offensive. His friendship off the court could create good chemistry with KAT on the court. Yet, he's a terrible defender who, along with KAT, will leave the Wolves highly vulnerable defensively. And I still have lingering doubts about DLO's attitude. At a minimum, DLO is definitely not a tough competitive. This team really needed a second all-star with dog in him. DLO isn't that guy.

Like Cool, I just can't see this duo taking the team to a place much higher than where it's been. I suppose there is some hope in the fact that their both 24 years old. And I'm still hoping the Wolves will replace Ryan with a modern, but NBA caliber, head coach. So I'm not optimistic, but it will be a bit refreshing to see something new on the court for the Wolves.

As a final thought, I'm really disappointed in Rosas's obsession with DLO and I'm wondering what was behind that obsession. Does Rosas really think DLO is the second piece of an all-star duo that can make the Wolves a contender? Was it simply Rosas wanting to appease KAT because DLO is his friend? Maybe, it was a combination of both. No matter - either explanation does not paint a flattering picture of Rosas as an NBA basketball executive.

Are we a better team now than before all these trades? I think we are. But are we set up to be a championship contender in a couple years? I'd say no.

I continue to believe that the right move for this organization was to make trades that brought in more future draft assets while giving more playing time to the key young guys - Nowell, McLaughlin, Martin, Naz, Culver and Okogie. Rather than obsessing over DLO, Rosas should have been focused on getting to next June's draft with as many valuable draft assets as possible, which would include as many ping pong balls as possible for our own pick. Then, with the dust settled on draft position and prospects, the Wolves could have deliberatively and intelligently evaluated their options -- draft options and trade options including Booker, Beal and possibly others in addition to DLO.

The Wolves have never had a particularly good front office before Rosas and unfortunately it looks like Rosas is continuing that tradition.
Wolvesfan21

Post by Wolvesfan21 »

When I saw it was only top 3 protected, not lottery protected like I was hoping I was pretty angry too. This team has no excuses next year to not make the playoffs, can't tank anymore. So this season is a waste we have to make good on the draft for sure.
crazy-canuck [enjin:18955461]

Post by crazy-canuck [enjin:18955461] »

WolvesFan21 wrote:

When I saw it was only top 3 protected, not lottery protected like I was hoping I was pretty angry too. This team has no excuses next year to not make the playoffs, can't tank anymore. So this season is a waste we have to make good on the draft for sure.

The second is also important because of the hs kids. The draft gets blown open once the hs kids are eligible. 2nd round talent will probably be similar to first round talent.
kekgeek

Post by kekgeek »

crazy-canuck wrote:
WolvesFan21 wrote:

The second is also important because of the hs kids. The draft gets blown open once the hs kids are eligible. 2nd round talent will probably be similar to first round talent.

The double draft isn't happening next year. It is looking like 2023 the double draft could happen

NBA is not even eligible for a double draft until in 2022

It also sounded like the gsw just didn't like dlo and that there were no other takers for his service. According to woj, the wolves were bidding against themselves.

If it looks a little light for unloading wiggins contract its because dlo wasn't exactly attractive either.

I dont think dlo is that bad, a floor spacing pg was sorely needed. But trading cov made no sense.

If kat and dlo cant carry this team, it gets really ugly because they gave away an unprotected pick in a loaded draft.
Lipoli390

Post by Lipoli390 »

crazy-canuck wrote:It also sounded like the gsw just didn't like dlo and that there were no other takers for his service. According to woj, the wolves were bidding against themselves.

If it looks a little light for unloading wiggins contract its because dlo wasn't exactly attractive either.

I dont think dlo is that bad, a floor spacing pg was sorely needed. But trading cov made no sense.

If kat and dlo cant carry this team, it gets really ugly because they gave away an unprotected pick in a loaded draft.

I agree, Crazy. I assumed there wasn't much interest in DLO around the League. So in typical Wolves fashion, our front office was bidding against themselves. Rosas looks like a real amateur to me. And yes, that 2021 draft pick will be the thing that bits us in the ass. That pick should have been lottery protected and eventually turned into two second-round picks. Rosas was obviously played by the Warriors front office.

lipoli390 wrote:
crazy-canuck wrote:It also sounded like the gsw just didn't like dlo and that there were no other takers for his service. According to woj, the wolves were bidding against themselves.

I agree, Crazy. I assumed there wasn't much interest in DLO around the League. So in typical Wolves fashion, our front office was bidding against themselves. Rosas looks like a real amateur to me. And yes, that 2021 draft pick will be the thing that bits us in the ass. That pick should have been lottery protected and eventually turned into two second-round picks. Rosas was obviously played by the Warriors front office.

I think gsw took wiggs too easily.

This is a capped out team, why would they go out of their way to get wiggs, who some say is one of the worst contracts in the league and barely a replacement player for a young borderline all star (as some say). It isnt like gsw is a team known to make stupid deals.

Dunno, maybe im just overthinking.
khans2k5 [enjin:6608728]

Post by khans2k5 [enjin:6608728] »

Are there any articles or tweets that cover that first sentence because I've seen literally nothing online nor in podcasts so far that mention GS didn't like him and that's part of why they moved him now (still catching up on a few podcasts)? Also I'd say we came out pretty well if we bid against ourselves considering Wiggins was considered a bottom 5 contract in the NBA this summer and we got rid of him with only a 1st round and 2nd round pick and got back an all-Star primary ball handler. Somehow Wiggins went from untradeably bad on this board to only trade him if the 1st round pick has better protections. Seeing people expect that pick to be lottery protected after trashing that nobody values Wiggins and nobody would ever trade for him is crazy to see. Lot of people having their cake and eating it too calling him untradeable and then complaining that we gave up too much to get rid of him when we gave up 1 first round pick and we got an All-Star back and not just some salary dump like Batum. I think Rosas found the least amount of value he could ship out with Wiggins and get a good player back. Expecting a first round pick so protected it would roll over to a second round pick is ridiculous given Wiggins value around the league.