Any And All Things T-Wolves Related
KG4Ever

Re: Article: Jimmy Butler Wants Out Of Timberwolves Organization

Post by KG4Ever »

https://youtu.be/MhRv-XKw1vk
khans2k5 [enjin:6608728]

Post by khans2k5 [enjin:6608728] »

You don't win a Jimmy Butler trade. There's only like 10-15 guys in the league you could potentially win the trade with if you can get them and none or them are available for Jimmy.
Lipoli390

Post by Lipoli390 »

khans2k5 wrote:You don't win a Jimmy Butler trade. There's only like 10-15 guys in the league you could potentially win the trade with if you can get them and none or them are available for Jimmy.

You're right Kahns. Which is why it's not about "winning" a Jimmy Butler trade. It's about great the best possible return. The potential return for Butler diminishes with time to the point where there is little if any potential return next summer. There could be a value spike around the trade deadline if a team is on the threshold of competing but loses a key player to an injury. But that's unlikely.

The time to trade Butler was on draft night -- when teams were wheeling and dealing and before the public revelations about Butler's disatisfaction with Towns. So right now I think the best value proposition for the Wolves is to keep Butler, which of course is what Thibs was going to do anyway.

As for the article in this thread, I don't see anything new. It's just a poorly written rehash by someone who doesn't know much.
thedoper

Post by thedoper »

The smartest move is still to wait it out. A year of solid play is great for us, maybe he wants to resign, maybe he doesn't. We're still more attractive to other players as a playoff team that tries to win versus a lottery team that trades their best player at the first sign of trouble.
kurrdog53 [enjin:7013678]

Post by kurrdog53 [enjin:7013678] »

I agree that we will have to figure out something to do with Jimmy if this doesn't work. My bigger concern is, or will be, how do we fix Towns and Wiggins? To me, the nonchalant attitude, especially towards defense, is a HUGE problem. Now, I am sure that playing with Jimmy is an acquired taste and easier than it looks, but these 2 guys better figure it out.

The way I see it, we have 3 paths.
1.) Keep Butler long term (Jimmy would have to sign here) and try and win.
2.) Trade/lose Jimmy/Fire Thibs and rebuild with KAT and Wiggs who will still be young.
3.) Trade everyone and completely rebuild.

None sound like a championship contender.
khans2k5 [enjin:6608728]

Post by khans2k5 [enjin:6608728] »

lipoli390 wrote:
khans2k5 wrote:You don't win a Jimmy Butler trade. There's only like 10-15 guys in the league you could potentially win the trade with if you can get them and none or them are available for Jimmy.

You're right Kahns. Which is why it's not about "winning" a Jimmy Butler trade. It's about great the best possible return. The potential return for Butler diminishes with time to the point where there is little if any potential return next summer. There could be a value spike around the trade deadline if a team is on the threshold of competing but loses a key player to an injury. But that's unlikely.

The time to trade Butler was on draft night -- when teams were wheeling and dealing and before the public revelations about Butler's disatisfaction with Towns. So right now I think the best value proposition for the Wolves is to keep Butler, which of course is what Thibs was going to do anyway.

As for the article in this thread, I don't see anything new. It's just a poorly written rehash by someone who doesn't know much.

To me the cap space that opens up if he leaves is more valuable than banking on another prospect and missing the playoffs in the process. There are a lot of good players hitting the market this summer. If we miss on Jimmy we're gonna have a chance at someone else and getting that player is easier on a playoff team than on a lottery team.
Monster

Post by Monster »

khans2k5 wrote:
lipoli390 wrote:

To me the cap space that opens up if he leaves is more valuable than banking on another prospect and missing the playoffs in the process. There are a lot of good players hitting the market this summer. If we miss on Jimmy we're gonna have a chance at someone else and getting that player is easier on a playoff team than on a lottery team.

Looking back at what teams might have had interest in a Butler deal...often I don't see anything that exciting happening. Now that we saw what the Spurs did maybe we could have made a deal for Leonard after all. Guess what though. Leonard and Butler miss about the same amount of games a year. Leonard is clearly a better player if healthy even if Butler is a damn good player but Leonard is also even more of a flight risk if we dealt for him. Butler is less than 2 years older than Leonard so the gap there isn't actually that big. So probably the best return the Wolves could have gotten (unless they really nailed a draft pick in a deal) might have been trading for Leonard and that option puts us in a very similar situation to where we are now. Just thinking about that deal makes me even more willing to stick with Butler although maybe if we prioritized something different than the Spurs did in their deal we could get better long term assets...but with risk of them being not worth the wait.
Q12543 [enjin:6621299]

Post by Q12543 [enjin:6621299] »

kurrdog53 wrote:I agree that we will have to figure out something to do with Jimmy if this doesn't work. My bigger concern is, or will be, how do we fix Towns and Wiggins? To me, the nonchalant attitude, especially towards defense, is a HUGE problem. Now, I am sure that playing with Jimmy is an acquired taste and easier than it looks, but these 2 guys better figure it out.

The way I see it, we have 3 paths.
1.) Keep Butler long term (Jimmy would have to sign here) and try and win.
2.) Trade/lose Jimmy/Fire Thibs and rebuild with KAT and Wiggs who will still be young.
3.) Trade everyone and completely rebuild.

None sound like a championship contender.

Let's first differentiate between KAT and Wiggins. KAT might be the best offensive Center in the game. No big man has the same arsenal from so many different spots on the floor. His defense and overall maturity are the issues. But he is all-world on one side of the floor. Wiggins does literally nothing at an elite level.

I think at the end of the day the real question is how to build around KAT and I mean that in the broadest sense possible. Who is the right coach, GM, and then player personnel? Because if it ever comes down to KAT versus (name another Timberwolves player or employee), KAT wins every time. Everyone else will be fired, traded, or let go before they do anything with KAT.
Coolbreeze44

Post by Coolbreeze44 »

khans2k5 wrote:
lipoli390 wrote:

And I know I've asked you before to tell me what free agents we have ever gotten to come here. I think Teague is the biggest, at least that I can remember. Cap space isn't nearly as valuable to medium market franchises based in the corn fields.
KG4Ever

Post by KG4Ever »

Its not about winning the trade. Its about trying to improve the team over the long haul by trying to acquire young assets that can hopefully become core pieces while Butler is on the backside of his career. The alternative is to deny reality and let Butler walk for nothing.