Article: Jimmy Butler Wants Out Of Timberwolves Organization

Any And All Things T-Wolves Related
Q12543 [enjin:6621299]

Re: Article: Jimmy Butler Wants Out Of Timberwolves Organization

Post by Q12543 [enjin:6621299] »

KG4Ever wrote:
khans2k5 wrote:You don't win a Jimmy Butler trade. There's only like 10-15 guys in the league you could potentially win the trade with if you can get them and none or them are available for Jimmy.

Its not about winning the trade. Its about trying to improve the team over the long haul by trying to acquire young assets that can hopefully become core pieces while Butler is on the backside of his career. The alternative is to deny reality and let Butler walk for nothing.

One man's nothing is another man's flexibility if you consider the salary implications of Jimmy just up and leaving. That's $20+ million freed up. In addition, Gibson's $14M would go out the door too and potentially Teague's $19M (player option). So it's possible we could have some significant spending money.

One of the things folks advocating for a Butler trade need to consider is exactly what are we getting back not just in terms of talent, but also contracts.
khans2k5 [enjin:6608728]

Post by khans2k5 [enjin:6608728] »

CoolBreeze44 wrote:
khans2k5 wrote:
lipoli390 wrote:
khans2k5 wrote:You don't win a Jimmy Butler trade. There's only like 10-15 guys in the league you could potentially win the trade with if you can get them and none or them are available for Jimmy.

You're right Kahns. Which is why it's not about "winning" a Jimmy Butler trade. It's about great the best possible return. The potential return for Butler diminishes with time to the point where there is little if any potential return next summer. There could be a value spike around the trade deadline if a team is on the threshold of competing but loses a key player to an injury. But that's unlikely.

The time to trade Butler was on draft night -- when teams were wheeling and dealing and before the public revelations about Butler's disatisfaction with Towns. So right now I think the best value proposition for the Wolves is to keep Butler, which of course is what Thibs was going to do anyway.

As for the article in this thread, I don't see anything new. It's just a poorly written rehash by someone who doesn't know much.

To me the cap space that opens up if he leaves is more valuable than banking on another prospect and missing the playoffs in the process. There are a lot of good players hitting the market this summer. If we miss on Jimmy we're gonna have a chance at someone else and getting that player is easier on a playoff team than on a lottery team.

And I know I've asked you before to tell me what free agents we have ever gotten to come here. I think Teague is the biggest, at least that I can remember. Cap space isn't nearly as valuable to medium market franchises based in the corn fields.

You need a lot of it to be able to overpay guys to come here. Jimmy, Taj and Teague leaving would open up room for potential moves like Kemba and Tobias Harris. And if you miss you move on to the next option. It comes down to whether you want to lock in money on potential that likely won't pan out or spend it on proven NBA players to play around Wiggins and Towns. We're done messing around with potential IMO. We need to win to keep a guy like Towns. I'll put it this way. If you trade Jimmy for a failed young player package you should just pack up the franchise and ship it out when Towns leaves. That seems like a much bigger risk than make the playoffs, hope Jimmy stays and if not add proven pieces to keep making the playoffs and hope you manage it well enough to get a shot at a title down the line.
kekgeek

Post by kekgeek »

CoolBreeze44 wrote:
khans2k5 wrote:
lipoli390 wrote:

You're right Kahns. Which is why it's not about "winning" a Jimmy Butler trade. It's about great the best possible return. The potential return for Butler diminishes with time to the point where there is little if any potential return next summer. There could be a value spike around the trade deadline if a team is on the threshold of competing but loses a key player to an injury. But that's unlikely.

The time to trade Butler was on draft night -- when teams were wheeling and dealing and before the public revelations about Butler's disatisfaction with Towns. So right now I think the best value proposition for the Wolves is to keep Butler, which of course is what Thibs was going to do anyway.

As for the article in this thread, I don't see anything new. It's just a poorly written rehash by someone who doesn't know much.

To me the cap space that opens up if he leaves is more valuable than banking on another prospect and missing the playoffs in the process. There are a lot of good players hitting the market this summer. If we miss on Jimmy we're gonna have a chance at someone else and getting that player is easier on a playoff team than on a lottery team.

And I know I've asked you before to tell me what free agents we have ever gotten to come here. I think Teague is the biggest, at least that I can remember. Cap space isn't nearly as valuable to medium market franchises based in the corn fields.

I understand your point and respect it and i'm not saying I am 100% right here. But my thoughts here is I believe 1 of these 2 things is possible this year. That KAT becomes a top 10 player in the NBA and/or Wiggins becomes close to all star talent (think towns a lot more likely).

If one of those 2 things happen the wolves can potentially compete for a championship especially when Thompson/ Boogie and Durant all free agents next year.

Personally I don't want to give up that % chance that Wiggins and Kat take the next step and then we don't have Butler because we traded him away for young unproven pieces.

Just feel that the gamble is worth it. If butler walks at least we have cap space and if he stays possible contender. Instead of trading butler no playoffs again and hoping another young guy develops (not that can't happen).
crazy-canuck [enjin:18955461]

Post by crazy-canuck [enjin:18955461] »

Jimmy at it again.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BmbPAfmBHSb/?hl=en

https://mobile.twitter.com/BellyUpBetting/status/1029063832285659137/photo/1

I really hope thibs knows what's going on. If jimmy wants out, better to trade him before the season starts. If not, i hope the others on the team know its just jimmy being jimmy and its all in fun.

Maybe jimmy see wiggs/kat more as competition than mentees.
thedoper

Post by thedoper »

crazy-canuck wrote:Jimmy at it again.

I really hope thibs knows what's going on. If jimmy wants out, better to trade him before the season starts. If not, i hope the others on the team know its just jimmy being jimmy and its all in fun.

I think Jimmy looks at everyone as competition.
Lipoli390

Post by Lipoli390 »

Is this for real? Were those really Jimmy Butler's comments? If so, please send that immature dink on his way.
crazy-canuck [enjin:18955461]

Post by crazy-canuck [enjin:18955461] »

lipoli390 wrote:

Is this for real? Were those really Jimmy Butler's comments? If so, please send that immature dink on his way.

Apparently it is. I just have no idea if hes just trolling or replied out of frustration.
Monster

Post by Monster »

IMHO the social media post seems like something not to take seriously.
thedoper

Post by thedoper »

monsterpile wrote:IMHO the social media post seems like something not to take seriously.

I agree. All this off season stuff has made me conclude that Jimmy has a chip on his shoulder and is competitive with everyone, whether they are his teammates or not. That's what makes him a great player. He wouldn't be the first great athlete to have mediocre interpersonal skills. I don't get the sense yet that KAT and Wiggins are too soft to handle Jimmy's approach, just get back on the court.
Lipoli390

Post by Lipoli390 »

crazy-canuck wrote:
lipoli390 wrote:

Apparently it is. I just have no idea if hes just trolling or replied out of frustration.

What was he replying to?