NBA Off-Season Moves

Any And All Things T-Wolves Related
khans2k5 [enjin:6608728]

Re: NBA Off-Season Moves

Post by khans2k5 [enjin:6608728] »

lipoli390 wrote:
crazy-canuck wrote:Looks like parker is going to the bulls 2 years 40 mill.

He'll will be their starting small forward between lavine and lauri.

The Bulls are building an interesting talented young team with Parker, Portis, LaVine, Carter, Dunn and Markkenan.

Their nickname can be defense optional.
crazy-canuck [enjin:18955461]

Post by crazy-canuck [enjin:18955461] »

khans2k5 wrote:
lipoli390 wrote:

The Bulls are building an interesting talented young team with Parker, Portis, LaVine, Carter, Dunn and Markkenan.

A center that can anchor the defense can offset lavine, Lauri, and parkers defensive deficiencies. They better hope Carter is that guy.
Porckchop

Post by Porckchop »

khans2k5 wrote:
lipoli390 wrote:

Khans, the problem teams face right now is finding a way to field a team that can keep pace scoring against these power houses and putting offensively challenged players that defend but still can't shut down the best players. So do you build a team of scorers or sacrifice a spot on the floor and hope a guy can do enough to keep a Klay Thompson from going off? Chances are Klay will fall into 18 - 20 pts while you put a guy on him that gives u little on the other end.
Monster

Post by Monster »

PorkChop wrote:
khans2k5 wrote:
lipoli390 wrote:

Khans, the problem teams face right now is finding a way to field a team that can keep pace scoring against these power houses and putting offensively challenged players that defend but still can't shut down the best players. So do you build a team of scorers or sacrifice a spot on the floor and hope a guy can do enough to keep a Klay Thompson from going off? Chances are Klay will fall into 18 - 20 pts while you put a guy on him that gives u little on the other end.

Parker at the 3 seems problematic defensively but if the Bulls can get him for 2 years 40 million that's a worthwhile gamble imo. If he sucks or can't atay healthy it's a bad deal but they can walk away after 2 years. If he can stay healthy he can score and the Bulls shouldn't be looking at competing as much as aquiring talent and Parker is a talent. Markkanen is being considered by most as the PF going forward and that's reasonable but it's also not a sure thing either. Parker gives them another talented option there. This could be a fun young team to watch even if they suck on defense for the most part.

The Bucks seem ready to move on and Parker I'm not sure about the fit there anyway but this short term deal might have been worth doing for them also but they signed Ilyasova so that move might be financially what keeps them from matching a deal for Parker.
Camden [enjin:6601484]

Post by Camden [enjin:6601484] »

Sacramento Kings:
- SG Buddy Hield (2-yrs, $8.7M -- $6.5M QO in 2020-21)
- C Kosta Koufos (1-yr, $8.7M)
- SG/SF Iman Shumpert (1-yr, $11.0M)

Minnesota Wolves:
- SF Andrew Wiggins (5-yrs, $146.5M)
- C Gorgui Dieng (3-yrs, $48.7M)
thedoper

Post by thedoper »

Camden0916 wrote:Sacramento Kings:

Minnesota Wolves:

Salary dump just so we can afford to pay Jimmy and stay under the luxury tax? I'd rather take our chances with Wiggins development than Buddy. Not your best work Cam. Clearly you don't like Wiggins but shouldn't feel that desperate to move him.

thedoper wrote:
Camden0916 wrote:Sacramento Kings:

Minnesota Wolves:

Salary dump just so we can afford to pay Jimmy and stay under the luxury tax? I'd rather take our chances with Wiggins development than Buddy. Not your best work Cam. Clearly you don't like Wiggins but shouldn't feel that desperate to move him.

The Wolves would arguably be getting the best player in the deal [Buddy Hield] and clearing a ton of money off the books. Minnesota also adds an efficient volume three-point shooter -- 43.1% on 5.1 3PA last year in 25.3 MPG -- to an already potent offense. Hield likely fits next to Towns and Butler a lot better than Wiggins does while still being just 24-years old. I could see Hield developing very much in the same way that Bradley Beal has, though I don't believe his ceiling is quite as high as Beal's. I knew this hypothetical trade idea would rub some of the pro-Wiggins' potential camp the wrong way, but I honestly intended it to be more of a trade discussion rather than a "let's bash Wiggins" post.

Per 36
Player A: 19.2 PPG (.557 TS%), 5.5 RPG, 2.8 APG, 1.5 SPG -- 16.1 PER, 0.9 VORP, 2.8 WS

Player B: 17.5 PPG (.505 TS%), 4.3 RPG, 1.9 APG, 1.1 SPG -- 13.0 PER, -0.4 VORP, 2.1 WS
worldK

Post by worldK »

Cam, i have not followed the kings much at all last year.

My question to you is if hield is the better player, how come he only play 25mins a night on a crappy kings team that is devoid of talent? Wiggins probably automatically play 35mins a night for that kings team when hield can only play 25min.

Per 36 is a tricky stat cam. I know we are dealing with vlade and the kings. But if hield is the better player as you claim, then why will the kings trade him and get stuck with 2 bad contracts?

worldK wrote:Cam, i have not followed the kings much at all last year.

My question to you is if hield is the better player, how come he only play 25mins a night on a crappy kings team that is devoid of talent? Wiggins probably automatically play 35mins a night for that kings team when hield can only play 25min.

Per 36 is a tricky stat cam. I know we are dealing with vlade and the kings. But if hield is the better player as you claim, then why will the kings trade him and get stuck with 2 bad contracts?

Both are excellent questions, world, and I know for a fact that Kings fans are wondering the same thing in regards to your first question. I've been on Reddit and Twitter enough to see a number of discussions on that very topic.

The only sensible reason that I can come up with is that Dave Joerger wanted to force Hield into a more ball dominant role coming off the bench and try to balance his starting lineup with offense/defense and youth/veterans. Hield actually started for the Kings for a handful of games to begin the season, but was replaced by Garrett Temple for much of the year. My assumption for this is that Temple's defense and veteran savvy, both of which are highly-touted by those that cover the Kings, was a more logical fit next to a young De'Aaron Fox in the backcourt.

The good news is that Hield led the Kings to having the highest scoring bench in the NBA with 44.4 points per game. As a reserve, Hield was scoring 13.6 of those, or roughly 30.1% of the total bench production. He started 18 of 25 games with Sacramento in 2016-17 and had a USG% of 22.9; in 2017-18 he predominantly came off the bench, but posted a USG% of 24.3. So, what all this tells me is that Joerger just wanted to try and find a way to get Hield more opportunities to control the ball while also supporting his talented rookie point guard.

And while Per 36 is a stat that has its flaws, it is useful when comparing players that both played a significant amount of minutes. The stat is most skewed when a player that plays 15 MPG or less is compared side by side to a starter playing 30+ MPG. This is not one of those cases, however, so I wouldn't throw the comparison away.

And besides the Kings being the Kings, aka poor management and ownership, they have shown indications recently of going after high upside players. We saw them draft Harry Giles at No. 20 in the 2017 NBA Draft after he was ESPN's No. 1 HS player in 2016. They also just offered Zach LaVine an $80M offer sheet. The latter of these moves is significant to me and it says that the Kings are swinging for the fences. Wiggins' perceived ceiling is among the highest of all players under 25-years old. I could see Sacramento having interest in that potential and ignoring what they currently have on their roster.
crazy-canuck [enjin:18955461]

Post by crazy-canuck [enjin:18955461] »

Sacramento couldnt say yes fast enough to that deal. They would actually get younger by trading wiggs for heild. I think they would have been the one team to throw wiggins the max this offseason. There aren't an abundance Sg/sfs in the league right now and none that are ironmen that can play big minutes.

Hield also comes up for extension next year. And if he's as good as you think he is, that's a possible 4/120 off of 1 season to go along with 5/190 for jimmy. You would also have to be sure that okogie could play sf because I'm not so sure that diop could.

If im trading wiggs, id want back a sf that can eat minutes.