Wolves Sign D Rose

Any And All Things T-Wolves Related
Kevin Glasshands [enjin:6642795]

Re: Wolves Sign D Rose

Post by Kevin Glasshands [enjin:6642795] »

Wolves go from one country club to another.
KiwiMatt

Post by KiwiMatt »

I'm on the fence with this signing as well. Neither here nor there.

I guess if anyone can get the best out of Rose it's Thibs. Crazy that he's still only 29 years of age. As mentioned he gives us another ball handler, but my biggest concern is he does nothing to help floor spacing and also that he doesn't eat in to Tyus' minutes.
Monster

Post by Monster »

60WinTim wrote:I guess I am not surprised how the Rose signing is being received. I, of course, am much more opTIMistic about the signing. Monster has the more correct perspective of being neutral...

Butler handling the ball is a very large part of our success thus far. Losing Butler puts that responsibility in the hands of Wiggins, Tyus or Teague. Wiggins sucks at creating offense for others. Tyus is not explosive enough to make a difference in crunch time. And Teague has been disappointing compared to many of our expectations this year.

Rose has the experience to maybe make a difference. He also has the advantage of being familiar with Thibs. I don't know if Rose has enough in the tank to do anything, but there ain't much downside, and potentially a lot of upside.

Thibs pursuit of Gibson has produced way more than anyone expected. I would think we should at least give this latest pursuit a chance...

Tim here are a few things you can consider if you want to have some optimism about this signing. These are in limited samples from this season but sorta interesting.

1. Rose had the highest PACE ranking of any Cav 103.96. If you watch some highlights from this year there are a few of him absolutely flying up the court doing good stuff including passing the ball ahead to players. Rose and Crawford could be a couple guys that really get things moving together. Yes the defense would be brutal but Rose has had some blocks already this year so...that's kinda fun.

2. Scoring ability. The guy can finish at the rim and he gets there a lot. You see some highlights of him he has plenty of burst. There is one highlight of him in preseason he blows past David Nwaba who is a tough defender. When healthy the guy still has plenty of burst. Not MVP Rose but plenty. The question is whether he will fall and jack up something the first game or 5 mins. I agree with you that Rose could give this team a bit of shot creation at times that others can't. I love Tyus but I don't think he has been as effective the last couple weeks although I haven't seen the last couple games.

Let's be honest the guys available right now are either not good or are the sort of guys the Wolves already have in Anthony Brown and MGH or Anthony Morrow who is probably the best available guy and yet...he isn't signed either. Wolfson keeps bringing up Sean Kilpatrick who I actually kinda like but guess what his 3 point shooting percentages this year are? Just a hair better than Derrick Rose. It's not hard to make a case that Kilpatrick just sucks. What if you get the Derrick Rose that was a 17ppg PG for the Knicks as a bench scorer last season? That's not crazy it's just whether he can stay healthy or not. If he can stay healthy he can play as a guybthat can score. Some guys out there you wonder if they can play period.

Now there is plenty of reason for angst about Rose based on the knowledge we have in front of us. There is plenty of reasons to dislike the guy and dislike the signing. It doesn't help it didn't go well in Cleveland this year. I don't know where Rose is at mentally who he really is and all that but Thibs has always spoke very highly of the guy. Maybe this works. If it doesn't it's not a big deal. It's not like they missed out on some player by getting him. I don't see a whole lot of downside. I'm not really sold on the upside either but there is some even though the fit isn't great.
thedoper

Post by thedoper »

Our bench can't be any worse. I hope this ultimate gives Crawford the yank in the times he's got nothing going for him. What I do fear is that Crawford/Rose becomes the back-court of our Second unit which makes that defense even scarier. Ultimately we need to find a way to get Wiggins some rest where we don't lose a ton of ground. I'm not convinced this was the way to do it, but at 500,000 it's worth a try considering the poo-poo platter of scoring wings available.
SameOldNudityDrew

Post by SameOldNudityDrew »

I don't love it. I would rather have another 3 point shooter or give MGH more minutes and challenge him to be a Trenton Hassell-type of player for us. Our biggest problem, as Thibs rightly pointed out after Utah, is defense. Rose doesn't help us there.

But I think the criticism of this move is overboard, with a lot of people taking their cues from the Dunc'd On podcast guys, whose hyperbolizing is starting to grate on me. Rose can still handle the ball and put some offensive pressure on the rim, and we could use a bit of both. And if he's going to succeed anywhere, it's gonna be with his old coach and with Taj and Jimmy here as well. A lot of people thought signing Taj was stupid too, and look how that turned out. I know they aren't the same player, but the point is that we have a tendency to automatically slam Thibs signing his old players and it's worked out pretty well so far.

Not the signing I would have chosen, but hey, why not?
Monster

Post by Monster »

SameOldDrew wrote:I don't love it. I would rather have another 3 point shooter or give MGH more minutes and challenge him to be a Trenton Hassell-type of player for us. Our biggest problem, as Thibs rightly pointed out after Utah, is defense. Rose doesn't help us there.

But I think the criticism of this move is overboard, with a lot of people taking their cues from the Dunc'd On podcast guys, whose hyperbolizing is starting to grate on me. Rose can still handle the ball and put some offensive pressure on the rim, and we could use a bit of both. And if he's going to succeed anywhere, it's gonna be with his old coach and with Taj and Jimmy here as well. A lot of people thought signing Taj was stupid too, and look how that turned out. I know they aren't the same player, but the point is that we have a tendency to automatically slam Thibs signing his old players and it's worked out pretty well so far.

Not the signing I would have chosen, but hey, why not?

Good post. I get where you are coming from the Dunc'd on guys have a lot of knowledge and watch a ton of basketball but they aren't all knowing either. A couple months ago they actually said they didn't think Belly would even stay in the league and would go back to Europe after this season. It was seriously hilarious because it was such a poorly informed take. I think they have a willingness to admit when they are wrong and open minded even though they have their opinions.
Camden [enjin:6601484]

Post by Camden [enjin:6601484] »

60WinTim wrote:I guess I am not surprised how the Rose signing is being received. I, of course, am much more opTIMistic about the signing. Monster has the more correct perspective of being neutral...

Butler handling the ball is a very large part of our success thus far. Losing Butler puts that responsibility in the hands of Wiggins, Tyus or Teague. Wiggins sucks at creating offense for others. Tyus is not explosive enough to make a difference in crunch time. And Teague has been disappointing compared to many of our expectations this year.

Rose has the experience to maybe make a difference. He also has the advantage of being familiar with Thibs. I don't know if Rose has enough in the tank to do anything, but there ain't much downside, and potentially a lot of upside.

Thibs pursuit of Gibson has produced way more than anyone expected. I would think we should at least give this latest pursuit a chance...

Gibson's calling card has always been defense, rebounding, and energy/hustle. That kind of a player can fit on any team in the league. Rose knows how to do one thing at this stage of his career, and he's not efficient in doing so in the slightest. It's like we signed another Crawford just without the jumper.
worldK

Post by worldK »

Neutral on this. Knowing thibs, he just isnt going to sign someone like a marrow and play them rotation minutes this late in the season. He would rather stick with an 8 man rotation the rest of the season. Rose is someone he is familiar with and might actually play. I dont know, we have to see how he manage the rotation the next 3 games. I doubt rose play much tonight.

I think its safe to say that deng and noah would be wolves once they got bought out in the future. I would like those two as end of bench vets.
BloopOracle

Post by BloopOracle »

Who are these superior choices out there that people are so flustered over us taking Rose instead of? I don't think he reallys adds much but what excatly did you expect to get on the end of our bench with a month left in the season?
crazy-canuck [enjin:18955461]

Post by crazy-canuck [enjin:18955461] »

Neutral on the signing.

with Tyus struggling the past few weeks and crawford unable to do anything in the last few games, Thibs went out and got a guy who can maybe get some offense.

If crawford wasnt so horrible lately. i dont think we would have signed rose.

But t does also seem like no one is knocking down the doors to play for thibbs and the wolves.