***OFFICIAL 2017-2018 WINS PREDICTION THREAD***

Any And All Things T-Wolves Related
longstrangetrip [enjin:6600564]

Re: ***OFFICIAL 2017-2018 WINS PREDICTION THREAD***

Post by longstrangetrip [enjin:6600564] »

We all agree that the Wolves were terrible at the end of games...heck, I believe they set an all-time record for most double digit leads blown! Where we differ as a board is the reason for this. Some say it was the bench, but most of these leads were blown in the final minutes when the reserves were on the bench and the starters were on the floor. Some say that it was our youth that led to the blown leads, but that doesn't explain why we didn't blow leads at the end of the previous season with a team that was even younger!

You guys know why I think we blew so many leads in the final minutes, but I'll say it again. ( I know this annoys Abe and others, but frankly it annoys me when "youth" or "the bench" are thrown out as the reason, when empirical evidence doesn't support this hypothesis). Thibs played his starters far more minutes than any other coach, and as a result we played exhausted basketball in the final minutes...the lack of execution on both offense and defense was quite apparent, and the results were quite predictable.

So, what is my wins prediction? I think the Butler acquisition and the maturation of our No 1 picks gives us one of the 4 best rosters in the West, and that this roster easily has the ability to win 52 games. But I think Thibs cost us 8-10 wins last year, and I'm not convinced he is going to change his coaching style. We underachieve again and win 46 games this year. And make the playoffs.
Q12543 [enjin:6621299]

Post by Q12543 [enjin:6621299] »

Heard from a few more folks, just before the pre-season tip off! No revisions now!

Big O - 38
Abe - 41
Q, Wildwolf - 43 (I thought WW's comments were spot on)
Logo - 44
Monster, tpoff217 - 45
Kekgeek1, Shumway, LST - 46 (LST a little bearish by his standards this year. Let's call it the "Thibs discount")
Khans - 47
Cool, Rocket, Jerry, Kiwi - 48
ItsJustSoSab - 49
SP - 50
Hoops! - 51
Drew, Doper - 52
Worldk - 53
Bloop - 54
apollotsg, Pork - 55 (Pork must be on some kind of post-Rubio era high)
Tim - 56
Phenom - 57
60WinTim

Post by 60WinTim »

longstrangetrip wrote:We all agree that the Wolves were terrible at the end of games...heck, I believe they set an all-time record for most double digit leads blown! Where we differ as a board is the reason for this. Some say it was the bench, but most of these leads were blown in the final minutes when the reserves were on the bench and the starters were on the floor. Some say that it was our youth that led to the blown leads, but that doesn't explain why we didn't blow leads at the end of the previous season with a team that was even younger!

You guys know why I think we blew so many leads in the final minutes, but I'll say it again. ( I know this annoys Abe and others, but frankly it annoys me when "youth" or "the bench" are thrown out as the reason, when empirical evidence doesn't support this hypothesis). Thibs played his starters far more minutes than any other coach, and as a result we played exhausted basketball in the final minutes...the lack of execution on both offense and defense was quite apparent, and the results were quite predictable.

So, what is my wins prediction? I think the Butler acquisition and the maturation of our No 1 picks gives us one of the 4 best rosters in the West, and that this roster easily has the ability to win 52 games. But I think Thibs cost us 8-10 wins last year, and I'm not convinced he is going to change his coaching style. We underachieve again and win 46 games this year. And make the playoffs.

Whew! Good to see you post, LST. I was starting to wonder after the Hefner news... ;-)
longstrangetrip [enjin:6600564]

Post by longstrangetrip [enjin:6600564] »

60WinTim wrote:
longstrangetrip wrote:We all agree that the Wolves were terrible at the end of games...heck, I believe they set an all-time record for most double digit leads blown! Where we differ as a board is the reason for this. Some say it was the bench, but most of these leads were blown in the final minutes when the reserves were on the bench and the starters were on the floor. Some say that it was our youth that led to the blown leads, but that doesn't explain why we didn't blow leads at the end of the previous season with a team that was even younger!

Whew! Good to see you post, LST. I was starting to wonder after the Hefner news... ;-)

Ha...nope, I'm still kickin'!
Lipoli390

Post by Lipoli390 »

longstrangetrip wrote:
60WinTim wrote:

Ha...nope, I'm still kickin'!

I know you're LST and happy to be alive. But wouldn't you rather be Hefner?
Lipoli390

Post by Lipoli390 »

Q12543 wrote:Heard from a few more folks, just before the pre-season tip off! No revisions now!

Big O - 38
Abe - 41
Logo - 44
Monster, tpoff217 - 45
Kekgeek1, Shumway, LST - 46 (LST a little bearish by his standards this year. Let's call it the "Thibs discount")
Khans - 47
ItsJustSoSab - 49
SP - 50
Hoops! - 51
Drew, Doper - 52
Worldk - 53
Bloop - 54
Tim - 56
Phenom - 57

Q -- You left me off your list. So here's your list with my name added alongside Hoops with a 51-win prediction. I thought about letting this go and preserving plausible deniability for the end of the season. But I didn't want Hoops to get all the glory. :)

Big O - 38
Abe - 41
Logo - 44
Monster, tpoff217 - 45
Khans - 47
ItsJustSoSab - 49
SP - 50
Hoops!, Lip - 51
Drew, Doper - 52
Worldk - 53
Bloop - 54
Tim - 56
Phenom - 57