Wolves Hire Thibs

Any And All Things T-Wolves Related
Lipoli390

Re: Wolves Hire Thibs

Post by Lipoli390 »

Shumway -- Excellent take. As someone with concerns about the Thibs hire, I have to agree that the positives about Thibs are more certain than the negatives. In other words, we know from his record with the Bulls that he wins and that he gets the most out of his players for at least three years. And we know he's a defensive mind. Those positives are all undeniable and things we can count on. The negatives are more speculative. We don't really know how much if at all he'll run players into the ground physically or alienate them over the long haul. We can be pretty sure he might tend in that direction, but we don't know for sure and we don't know how much he might moderate his approach based on these concerns. Some people really do learn from their mistakes and become better at what they do as a result. We don't know whether he'll have good judgment as head of basketball operations, but we do know he understands the game. You're post was a good one and has me feeling better about the hire.
Coolbreeze44

Post by Coolbreeze44 »

lipoli390 wrote:Shumway -- Excellent take. As someone with concerns about the Thibs hire, I have to agree that the positives about Thibs are more certain than the negatives. In other words, we know from his record with the Bulls that he wins and that he gets the most out of his players for at least three years. And we know he's a defensive mind. Those positives are all undeniable and things we can count on. The negatives are more speculative. We don't really know how much if at all he'll run players into the ground physically or alienate them over the long haul. We can be pretty sure he might tend in that direction, but we don't know for sure and we don't know how much he might moderate his approach based on these concerns. Some people really do learn from their mistakes and become better at what they do as a result. We don't know whether he'll have good judgment as head of basketball operations, but we do know he understands the game. You're post was a good one and has me feeling better about the hire.

That's a well balanced post Lip.
60WinTim

Post by 60WinTim »

Wow! Zgoda on the ball?!? What's the world coming to?

Nice to finally hear from Thibs, besides the text he sent around yesterday...

http://www.startribune.com/master-architect-new-wolves-boss-tom-thibodeau-assesses-the-job-ahead/376655621/
Camden [enjin:6601484]

Post by Camden [enjin:6601484] »

60WinTim wrote:Wow! Zgoda on the ball?!? What's the world coming to?

Nice to finally hear from Thibs, besides the text he sent around yesterday...

http://www.startribune.com/master-architect-new-wolves-boss-tom-thibodeau-assesses-the-job-ahead/376655621/

This was excellent. I loved how he said some things about the bigger name players on the team and even said Towns has a long way to go. I trust that Thibs is going to take this franchise where it's never been before.
Mstermisty [enjin:6864008]

Post by Mstermisty [enjin:6864008] »

Only time will tell whether Thibs was the homerun coaching choice, but at worst this is smart gamble. Guy has proven he can get the best out of a team. The Bulls almost went all the way with him at the helm, and I was always impressed how they scratched out close games even when they were undermanned.

Sentimentally I do like that Thibs was here under Musselman. He paid some early dues here, learned from one of the best, and now he's back to finish what Bill started. And that tracksuit. Just sayin'.
Tactical unit

Post by Tactical unit »

Getting Thibs is about as good as it gets! Some might say he can be to hard on players, he runs them into the ground, so on and so on........I say he likes to win!!!!

Personally having gone though boot camp where they are hard on you, well it brings out pride, establishes a hard working mentality, and when going though it with others it brings you closer to those that went through the process with you. Also having a hard nose supervisor might not be the best thing in the world or something I enjoyed, but it'll make sure you walk the straight and narrow path and do the right thing.

Man am I ever excited to finally have a coach that will make a difference!
longstrangetrip [enjin:6600564]

Post by longstrangetrip [enjin:6600564] »

Deng on the other hand would be a big-time get and I'd be fine with LaVine licking a few wounds over that one. He'd still be a major option offensively and get plenty of minutes since Deng is starting to head toward being more of a role-player going forward.

I agree that Deng would be probably terrific fit for our team. He could temporally push Lavine back to bench but since he is already 31, Lavine would have time to win his starting position back before his rookie deal is up. Deng could also play some minutes as small ball four. He has actually really flourished in that position after Bosh was injured. Deng has averaged 15.2 pts and 8.1 rebounds post all star break and most importantly, Miami team has played much better even tough they lost Bosh.

I used to think that Deng doesn't have much left in his tank but his play post all star break has really changed my view. And he has been even better in playoffs so far. Averaging 23.5 pts and 6.5 rbs and in defense holding his man to less than .200 FG%.

This just makes way too much sense to me, and I think Deng needs to be Thibs' #1 priority in free agency. Here's why I like it:

1) While Deng is 31, he shows little sign of slowing down. As Mikkeman said, his play the last half of the season and early in the playoffs has been sensational.
2) Deng has consistently had positive things to say about Thibs, and Doogie tweeted that there's no question Deng wants to play for him again
3) Deng is an elite defender, even at 31. and knows Thibs' defensive system...he would be like a defensive coach on the court, just as KG was in his limited role last year. We joke about mentorship here, but Wig and Zach could benefit from a defensive wing mentor like Luol.
4) Starting Deng at SF allows Wig to move to a position where he is more impactful, and where his poor rebounding doesn't hurt us.
5) I agree with Thorpe that Zach is not a starter on a contending team, but can be a terrific piece off the bench. Having him backing up Wig at SG instantly makes our bench much more potent. Zach may be unhappy at first moving to the bench, but as mikkeman pointed out, there will be plenty of time for him to be a starter in this league.
6) We can throw big enough money at Luol, and feel confident that his age means we likely won't have to play him big money when it comes time to pay our young studs.

I'm guessing Thibs will want Deng, and Deng will like his fit on this team. I don't see any reason that this deal doesn't get done.