Curious

Any And All Things T-Wolves Related
Coolbreeze44

Curious

Post by Coolbreeze44 »

I frequent a Minnesota Vikings board where a majority of the posters are Teddy Bridgewater apologists. I support the position that Teddy has some strengths, but is a far cry from a sure thing as a long term solution. I tell the Bridgewater supporters that they are blinded by their hope for Bridgewater. They want him so badly to finally be the answer at quarterback for the Vikings, that they can't see what's right in front of them. I tell them this unabashed desire for him to be good doesn't allow them to see his inadequacies.

My point here is not to argue about the Vikings QB position. What I want to know is whether you think I might be doing the same thing with Wiggins. I'm a huge Wiggins supporter. I think he is going to be a perennial all stat in this league. Not sure if he's going to be a hall of famer, but I think he has a chance and I'm really looking forward to the continued development. Am I blinded somewhat by my hope for him as long suffering fan of the Wolves?
Camden [enjin:6601484]

Re: Curious

Post by Camden [enjin:6601484] »

Without a doubt, yes, but I don't fully blame you. He actually has all the physical tools to be unstoppable, but the production doesn't match the hype (yet). He has some serious issues that mostly have to do with what's between his ears: aggressiveness, understanding game situations and most importantly, effort.

His ability to draw contact at a high clip is already elite in today's game and for his age, his post game is quite good, but he will never become that superstar player we hope he'll be if he doesn't improve his handle substantially, reduce the contested mid-range jumpers from his game, get more active on the glass and improve greatly from behind the three-point line. In doing all of this, one can only hope he'll become more aggressive in all aspects of the game.
TAFKASP

Post by TAFKASP »

Funny analogy, both have issues with long balls! I think it's a great comparison though as both players have significant issues that need to be resolved in order for them to be considered stars in their league while also having some of their problems exist because the teammates add to their burden. The lack of outside shooting limits Wiggins abilities to drive, the lack of a decent offensive line limits Teddy's ability to throw deep in rhythm.

At this point I think Wiggins has more natural ability in his game than does Teddy, but I think Teddy is more likely to reach his potential than Wiggins.
Q12543 [enjin:6621299]

Post by Q12543 [enjin:6621299] »

Nothing wrong with hope, but if you take a long, hard look at Wiggins objectively, he has a long ways to go to reach the high bar you have set for him. And while he's young, he's already played a ton of minutes with a ton of touches. And it's not like he has no pedigree. The kid has basically been raised to be a professional athlete, so the concept of "late bloomer" doesn't seem to apply in his case.

I'm sticking to what I always thought about him: I think he can be a very good two-way player in this league, but I have a hard time seeing him becoming the type of do-it-all wing that can impact the game in lots of different ways. He wasn't like that at KU. He wasn't like that as a rookie. And he isn't like that now.

I do think he can become a very prolific scorer if he ever learns how to shoot. That is where he can make his mark. Right now he can score, but does so very inefficiently because he has no 3-point shot and is average from mid-range. Hopefully those things will improve.
AbeVigodaLive

Post by AbeVigodaLive »

It is an interesting comparison.

What strikes me is that Wiggins is a physical freak and that's what gives people hope. Conversely, Bridgewater's size and strength are what are supposed to limit his potential. It'll be interesting to see how guile and savvy fares vs. top-notch athleticism over the long haul. Or, if there's a happy medium for both guys.
mjs34

Post by mjs34 »

I think Teddy is limited by his arm strength, and I don't think that can be fixed. Both guys still have a confidence problem, and both will likely improve with maturity.

Wiggins, has a couple of issues as I see it. The first is a lack of intensity. I hope that is something that improves as he gets older and the wolves hopefully become a competitive BB team. Wiggins handle is my biggest concern and something he needs to work on. The handle is probably the hardest thing to improve for a player, but I think a better offensive system, that creates better spacing will also help.

Wiggins shooting doesn't concern me at all other than shot selection. Like everyone else on this team, I would like him to reduce the long two's. Wiggins has a very good shooting motion with great elevation, and a high arc. He also squares up well, and there is no reason not to expect his percentages to go up throughout his career.

WIggins has shown a night and day difference when going up against some of the better players like Lebron. Clearly the drive is inside, but he has to show that on a much more consistent basis.
Coolbreeze44

Post by Coolbreeze44 »

sjm34 wrote:I think Teddy is limited by his arm strength, and I don't think that can be fixed. Both guys still have a confidence problem, and both will likely improve with maturity.

Wiggins, has a couple of issues as I see it. The first is a lack of intensity. I hope that is something that improves as he gets older and the wolves hopefully become a competitive BB team. Wiggins handle is my biggest concern and something he needs to work on. The handle is probably the hardest thing to improve for a player, but I think a better offensive system, that creates better spacing will also help.

Wiggins shooting doesn't concern me at all other than shot selection. Like everyone else on this team, I would like him to reduce the long two's. Wiggins has a very good shooting motion with great elevation, and a high arc. He also squares up well, and there is no reason not to expect his percentages to go up throughout his career.

WIggins has shown a night and day difference when going up against some of the better players like Lebron. Clearly the drive is inside, but he has to show that on a much more consistent basis.

Good post SJ. I hate to watch him miss from the outside, but i'm not all that concerned by it either. He wasn't supposed to be this good of a scorer coming into the league. His offensive game was supposed to come along over time, and I think he has multiple years to improve his outside game before he plateaus. I actually think he is a little too square on his jump shot. I'd like to see him get that right foot slightly in front of the left when he jumps, and then have that straight line from the big toe - knee - hip - elbow - and hand. He started to do this at the free throw line for a couple games but then he reverted back to the square stance. And you're right, consistency is the big issue. He has shown that the fire can burn pretty hot when he's fully engaged. But what's it going to take to keep the fire lit from game to game?
khans2k5 [enjin:6608728]

Post by khans2k5 [enjin:6608728] »

They're both sophomores. Just give it time and they'll both be great. Teddy is 22 which in the NFL is very young for a QB. The dude has ice in his veins which is gonna pay off for some epic 4th quarter drives to win games. He already had two big ones this year at Arizona where he made the mistake of holding the ball too long and against Seattle in the playoffs where the game was won until Walsh missed the easy FG. The same goes for Wiggins. He's cold blooded. You can see it the way he plays in close games. He doesn't have the reliable jumper yet, but he gets to the basket and makes some tough shots to try to keep those games close. Wiggins really just needs to add overall strength and I think we'll see an uptick in his jump shooting and his overall play in general. Wait until they're 24-25 to revisit this conversation and I think they'll both be great.
JasonIsDaMan [enjin:7981157]

Post by JasonIsDaMan [enjin:7981157] »

SJM
Boy, you have really tied your cart to that "arm strength" horse, haven't you? It's pretty simple. The Vikings throw short because receivers need time to run deep, it's hard to throw deep when you are on your back, and it easier to throw short while your being tackled than to throw long.

Bridgewater was 13th in QBR. The Vikes were 31st in pressure. Not the good 31st, the bad 31st.
AbeVigodaLive

Post by AbeVigodaLive »

JasonIsDaMan wrote:SJM
Boy, you have really tied your cart to that "arm strength" horse, haven't you? It's pretty simple. The Vikings throw short because receivers need time to run deep, it's hard to throw deep when you are on your back, and it easier to throw short while your being tackled than to throw long.

Bridgewater was 13th in QBR. The Vikes were 31st in pressure. Not the good 31st, the bad 31st.

To be fair, I think the Bridgewater doesn't have the strongest arm narrative goes further than SJM.

For example, I brought it up. That's not saying his arm strength isn't there... only that he isn't known to be blessed with the elite-of-elite athletic gifts that Wiggins supposedly is.