Sidney Lowe should be coaching!!!

Any And All Things T-Wolves Related
Q12543 [enjin:6621299]

Re: Sidney Lowe should be coaching!!!

Post by Q12543 [enjin:6621299] »

Yeah, I agree that the more sober perspective is to prioritize a POBO search now and then let that person get a "running start" for another important offseason, where we will have a high lottery pick and coaching vacancy.

While Mitchell may be holding these guys back in terms of on court performance, it certainly doesn't mean their skill development is being held back. If someone can shoot, they can shoot. If someone can dribble, they can dribble. If someone can defend, they can defend. Whether the coach puts them in the best situation to utilize those skills in a real game is a different question. But I don't think a head coach has a ton of influence on individual skill development - at least not in the NBA. Kevin Love still became a great player despite Kurt Rambis not utilizing him correctly early in his career.
AbeVigodaLive

Post by AbeVigodaLive »

sjm34 wrote:Can someone explain why they think we have a better chance of signing a good coach or POBO at the end of the season as opposed to right now.

At the end of the season the good options will have more opportunities. Right now, only the wolves position would be an option.

Our offensive system is our biggest problem right now, and Sam (or any other members of the country club) don't seem to understand that.

Some potential candidates might take themselves out of the running for that very reason, especially the head coach. First of all, no top-notch head coach is taking the gig without knowing who the POBO is... unless he gets that gig too.

And a top-notch POBO is going to want to choose his own head coach. To conduct both searches in the middle of an already lost season is dicey at best.
alexftbl8181 [enjin:6648741]

Post by alexftbl8181 [enjin:6648741] »

AbeVigodaLive wrote:
sjm34 wrote:Can someone explain why they think we have a better chance of signing a good coach or POBO at the end of the season as opposed to right now.

At the end of the season the good options will have more opportunities. Right now, only the wolves position would be an option.

Our offensive system is our biggest problem right now, and Sam (or any other members of the country club) don't seem to understand that.

Some potential candidates might take themselves out of the running for that very reason, especially the head coach. First of all, no top-notch head coach is taking the gig without knowing who the POBO is... unless he gets that gig too.

And a top-notch POBO is going to want to choose his own head coach. To conduct both searches in the middle of an already lost season is dicey at best.

Problem is, when has Glen EVER found the right guy to run the FO? Flip came to Glen, not the other way around. Mchale and Khan were both disasters in the highest sense. Glen has zero clue how to find the right guy
AbeVigodaLive

Post by AbeVigodaLive »

alexftbl8181 wrote:
AbeVigodaLive wrote:

Problem is, when has Glen EVER found the right guy to run the FO? Flip came to Glen, not the other way around. Mchale and Khan were both disasters in the highest sense. Glen has zero clue how to find the right guy

Agreed. Which is why forcing Taylor to make a hasty decision is pretty scary.

Then again... maybe that's the trick to get him out of his comfort zone/country club?
Q12543 [enjin:6621299]

Post by Q12543 [enjin:6621299] »

What do people think about Jim Petersen for POBO? I know that's a little out of the box, but he a) is Country Club, b) is a former NBA player, c) knows the team's strengths and weaknesses inside and out, d) while he's never coached men's ball, he certainly has an appreciation for what the coaching job entails, and e) has a firm grasp of modern-day analytics such as the Four Factors and the importance of the 3-ball.

I also like his overall professionalism and character.

I honestly wouldn't be opposed to him. I have no idea if he'd be interested in such a role.
AbeVigodaLive

Post by AbeVigodaLive »

Q12543 wrote:What do people think about Jim Petersen for POBO? I know that's a little out of the box, but he a) is Country Club, b) is a former NBA player, c) knows the team's strengths and weaknesses inside and out, d) while he's never coached men's ball, he certainly has an appreciation for what the coaching job entails, and e) has a firm grasp of modern-day analytics such as the Four Factors and the importance of the 3-ball.

I honestly wouldn't be opposed to him. I have no idea if he'd be interested in such a role.

1. I think he'd love the chance to make a couple of million bucks per year. If anything, it would give him more negotiating leverage in his next tv announcing gig.
2. Peterson has really grown on me. Early in my time with you guys, I used to have a "Ridiculous Jim Peterson Rube Comment" gimmick where I would point out the crazy homerific things he'd say on air... usually about Al Jefferson being a Duncan meets Olajuwon mix. But he's evolved on the air. He's smart. And balances observation with analytical background pretty dam well. On air.
3. I have no idea if that translates in other roles. I have no idea if he understands salary cap ramifications. Or if he can work well with others who do. Or if he's a skirt chaser. Or a drinker. Or a racist. Et al. A bit facetious with most of that... but I really don't know. I have grown to appreciate his takes though.
Phenom

Post by Phenom »

JVG wouldn't take the gig mid season. He is a notorious supporter of the coaching racket and finds it disrespectful to discuss jobs that are occupied. What about Gates as the interim of the interim?
BizarroJerry [enjin:6592520]

Post by BizarroJerry [enjin:6592520] »

Don't ask Glen about this stuff now, he's taking a nap.
TeamRicky [enjin:6648771]

Post by TeamRicky [enjin:6648771] »

Unless Scott Brooks or Jeff Van Gundy want to take the job this season, we wait til the offseason to address the situation. I don't want to make any PANIC moves. Hiring another face that isn't a top tier long term coach would be a huge mistake. Bringing in another "interim coach" is risky and I'm very against such a move unless Sam resigns and we are forced to do so.
TeamRicky [enjin:6648771]

Post by TeamRicky [enjin:6648771] »

Q12543 wrote:What do people think about Jim Petersen for POBO? I know that's a little out of the box, but he a) is Country Club, b) is a former NBA player, c) knows the team's strengths and weaknesses inside and out, d) while he's never coached men's ball, he certainly has an appreciation for what the coaching job entails, and e) has a firm grasp of modern-day analytics such as the Four Factors and the importance of the 3-ball.

I'd rather Milt stay POBO to be honest. JP scares me. I am one that finds him annoying and actually prefer to hear the opposing team's broadcasting team when given a choice. Honestly, why can't we find an assistant or scout in one of the top organizations to come here? But given that Glen has gone to David Stern for ideas on who to hire in the past (ie Kahn) scares me too.