Flip has passed away

Any And All Things T-Wolves Related
Monster

Re: Flip has passed away

Post by Monster »

First I hear this morning that Corey Brewer's goat passed away this summer and now Flip. This day sucks.
SameOldNudityDrew

Post by SameOldNudityDrew »

Just a really sad day. He was a good guy, humble, a straight-shooter and nice guy at the same time, an even keel who was still passionate about the game, and he was willing to put in hard work to get where he wanted to go in life. A good role model if you think about it.

He helped this team through its best years, and recently came back to help give it the most promise it's had in a long time. We had a pretty good past with Flip, and the future looks pretty good because of him. That's a legacy worth honoring.
60WinTim

Post by 60WinTim »

monsterpile wrote:First I hear this morning that Corey Brewer's goat passed away this summer and now Flip. This day sucks.

Yeah, I saw the goat news the other day. But the goat was 18 years old, which is on the long end of a goat's lifespan (I just googled it!)...
Coolbreeze44

Post by Coolbreeze44 »

SameOldNudityDrew wrote:Just a really sad day. He was a good guy, humble, a straight-shooter and nice guy at the same time, an even keel who was still passionate about the game, and he was willing to put in hard work to get where he wanted to go in life. A good role model if you think about it.

He helped this team through its best years, and recently came back to help give it the most promise it's had in a long time. We had a pretty good past with Flip, and the future looks pretty good because of him. That's a legacy worth honoring.

Nice post Drew - Thanks
longstrangetrip [enjin:6600564]

Post by longstrangetrip [enjin:6600564] »

Nice Flip tribute by AP Guy Jon K. I had heard about Flip's tendency to give unsuspecting friends the shoulder vice grip from behind, but who knew it came from giving his polio-stricken mom massages.

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/5245e3946ed648c3abe2878ac88dac12/minnesota-timberwolves-coach-flip-saunders-dies-cancer

I remember Flip arriving at the U of M as Phil Saunders and playing on a pretty bad team that I think also included Tony Dungy. Halfway through the season he became "Flip" Saunders so as not to be confused with the other Phil on the team, Phil Filer. His basketball fortunes at the U of M improved immensely after his freshman year with the arrival of Mychal Thompson and Ray Williams (also a too-early cancer victim). Those were some memorable Gopher teams, although not as offensively potent as the teams Flip coached for a few years at Golden Valley Lutheran...fun basketball to watch!
m4gor [enjin:6667447]

Post by m4gor [enjin:6667447] »

man i am so surprised, hodgkins lyphoma isnt usually this bad, it is literally like 1 in 100 or even less, i am speechless

wish all the best to his family
mjs34

Post by mjs34 »

Had a feeling we would be seeing this news based on how hush-hush everything has been. Really makes you realize how small the BB side is when something like this happens. RIP Flip, hope you can look down and watch the progress this season.
BizarroJerry [enjin:6592520]

Post by BizarroJerry [enjin:6592520] »

Sad, shocking news to hear this, I had no idea it was this bad. RIP Flip. You were part of the best years we had with this team.
Coolbreeze44

Post by Coolbreeze44 »

I remember watching Flip as a Gopher. He played methodically but effectively as the team's quarterback. I can vividly remember him bringing the ball up the court. I have shed real tears today.

At least now we have him working from the ultimate inside position. Flip, you need to get in God's ear about what you started here. Time for some good fortune for this franchise. We've had enough despair and tragedy.
Phenom

Post by Phenom »

Just awful news. I am going to miss listening to him talk basketball. My thoughts go out to his family. I hope this isn't a result of pushing himself too hard in the last few months.