Flip has passed away

Any And All Things T-Wolves Related
longstrangetrip [enjin:6600564]

Re: Flip has passed away

Post by longstrangetrip [enjin:6600564] »

60WinTim wrote:Chad has one heck of a lineup today. I will have to listen to it when I get the opportunity.

Guests on Chad's Show: @costareports @Timberwolves Glen Taylor @JimPeteHoops @MSU_Basketball Tom Izzo & Kevin McHale @wccoradio #Monday

I caught a little of the McHale segment while driving. After it was mentioned how different he and Flip were...Flip so intense and Kevin always laid back...Kevin told a great story. Apparently there was a guy slightly older than them that hung around the house a lot Flip's senior year (Kevin's freshman year) and was somewhat of a sports gambler. One night he was asking them if they were going to beat Kansas St. and flip and Kevin kept saying yes. He kept pressing, and finally asked if they were going to cover the spread, and the boys said yes again. The guy said great...I'm going to place a bet, and if you cover, I'm buying all of you beer Saturday (I know...wrong on so many levels!). The game was close, and late in the 2nd half it became clear that the Gophers might win, but weren't going to cover. During a time out, Kevin said to Flip "I guess we're not getting that free beer". Flip went nuts...grabbed McHale and said "Forget about the f'ing beer, we need to win this f'ing game!".

With as much as McHale admired Flip when he came to the U of M, think about how tough it had to be to fire him.
60WinTim

Post by 60WinTim »

There are a number post practice interviews up today. Lot's of great therapy. Prince and Martin touched me...

The home opener against Portland is going to be incredibly emotional.

https://soundcloud.com/wolves-radio
Monster

Post by Monster »

All of Hartman's spots are available online also

http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/audio/the-chad-hartman-show/
The Rage Monster [enjin:8010341]

Post by The Rage Monster [enjin:8010341] »

I still can't believe it, Flip was everything to this team and not just because he was the POBO and coach. When you think of the Wolves you think of KG and Flip, that's it. In a sport where money and ego seem to be everywhere Flip stood above the rest. I didn't know him personally but he was such a nice guy who cared about people it was amazing. A quick Flip story: I believe it was two seasons ago I went to a game, we lost on bad call at the end. I was waiting around for someone long after the game was over and Flip walked out of the offices, clearly on his way out with other. I mentioned that was a tough way to end that game, he could have easily blown me off after the disappointing loss but instead he stopped, acknowledged me and even responded. I'm a no one fan, not even a season ticket holder so I had so much respect for him after that encounter.
Carlos Danger

Post by Carlos Danger »

This is such a great pic of the "Rat Pack" in their prime:

http://stmedia.startribune.com/images/2000*1345/taylor+profile2206291418.JPG

I mean...those guys really are/were the Franchise for better or worse.
Volans19

Post by Volans19 »

A day later and it's still hard to come to terms with. Reading the outpouring of love from everyone - media members, players, fellow coaches, even the members of this board - helped illustrate how Flip was so widely loved and respected. This tweet from Andray Blatche really hit me hard.

andray blatche ?@drayblatche 22h22 hours ago

My prayers r with your family thank you for staying on me and believing n me even tho I let you down I knew u cared

RIP Flip.
60WinTim

Post by 60WinTim »

Good to see you, Vols. I like the new thumbnail! You know, you started that "Sure to piss the forum off" thread, but then never proceeded to add your thoughts on the whole rotation thing. You should go add it!

Great stuff from McHale and many others. I had forgotten about the "Flipper" nickname...

Very entertaining radio as I was driving around town today...non-stop Flip coverage. It got me to thinking about whether any other local sports figure would command the same type of coverage if he were to meet an untimely death. I would argue we haven't had a day like this since Puckett. Bud Grant and Tom Kelly had great success leading their teams, but neither found a way to connect with the masses like Flip. Maybe Lou Nanne to a lesser extent. Maybe Sid, although he is long past the "untimely" stage.
Monster

Post by Monster »

When listening to the wolves players talk to the media I kinda felt bad for Lorenzo Brown. He was a Flip guy and knew Flip having been around him in a couple go arounds with the team. All the other players get to be supported by each other and band together. Brown has to get ready for another year in the D-league. He will be ok but I am sure both players and people within the organization reached out to him as well. Other people that were closer to Flip have it much tougher than he does but yeah.

I promise you will enjoy this short tribute to Flip written by Steve Rushin.

http://www.si.com/nba/2015/10/26/flip-saunders-minnesota-timberwolves-pistons-wizards

And now that I've sucked you in, have a look at a longer bit from Robson.

http://www.minnpost.com/sports/2015/10/what-i-owe-flip-saunders